Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Eve O'Connell

Standing in this field, I breathe in and let my mind wind back the clock. The wind picks up and a fresh flurry of dandelion fireworks brushes my soft cheeks. It’s just how you would imagine it, like a movie"flashes of memories buzzing through me, just behind my eyes, searching for one in particular. Tock, tick, tock, tick…

 

There. It’s there. The one defining moment in my life. Wow, it’s already been a year since then.

 

Three hundred and sixty five days.

 

Eight thousand, seven hundred and sixty hours.

 

This moment"surrounded by dandelions and a stormy sky ready to unleash chaos"marks five hundred and twenty five thousand, six hundred minutes of sheer greyness.

 

Grey is a funny thing. It isn’t a direct colour, like red or blue. It’s what they call a shade, among its black and white siblings. The thing about black and white though, is that they are much more solid than their grey counterpart. Grey is the colour that connects the two, however when standing alone, grey is just a wash of two other “shades”. When you add grey to red, blue or yellow, you don’t create another beautiful colour as you would with yellow and blue. That primary colour takes in the grey, and becomes what it was, with a grey tinge.

 

Grey is like a soft void. I say soft void because when you think of a void you’ll probably immediately think of an infinite whiteness or blackness, not greyness. The grey I became familiar with was the kind of shade that envelopes you with a soft, cool type of comfort. It’s more trustworthy than black, white or a colour, because the complete deprivation of boldness speaks to you on a more subtle level. It’s just a softness that’s easy on your eyes, awash somewhere between sister white and brother black.

 

Something hides behind the grey though. Beyond the soft neutrality, there is another layer. Peeling back the grey is like peeling the skin of man and discovering what lies underneath the surface. If you are ever so bold as to venture from the lull of greyness, you may just find out what lives in those reaches. What’s more, you may just find out what lives within yourself. Reaching that point is a feat in itself, and don’t even get me started on trying to return.

 

This past year has been a whirlwind.

 

Greyness moulded me into the person that now stands in these stormy fields. 



© 2016 Eve O'Connell


Author's Note

Eve O'Connell
In the making, currently after feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't think direct is the right word to use in the second paragraph, direct implies direction, colors dont move, I get what you are trying to say but I'd use a different word, same with grey CONNECTS black and white, I think you could use a better word than connect. It helps when I write on my laptop i'm constantly pulling up tabs and searching synonyms of words. You might already do this, if not you should start. But overall it was good not great, the last paragraph was a bright spot. it interested me for the rest of your story and that's what prologues are for. Keep reviewing my work and i'll keep reviewing yours.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 13, 2016
Last Updated on June 13, 2016
Tags: Drugs, DMT, adventure, post apocalyptic


Author

Eve O'Connell
Eve O'Connell

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia



Writing
January January

A Chapter by Eve O'Connell


Junk Junk

A Book by Eve O'Connell