I Remember Marcia Freedman

I Remember Marcia Freedman

A Story by Evyn Rubin
"

Marcia Freedman (1938-2022), peace activist, plus. My recollections in community.

"

I remember Marcia FreedmanI met her at an anti-nuclear meeting, when I lived in Oakland, California, and had five or six brief but memorable conversations with her, over the yearsDiana Russell had started a feminist anti-nuclear group, and at the first meeting, women were milling around for a while, talking, and Marcia and I introduced ourselves,   

When she said her name, it rang a bell, and I said, “Oh, are you the Marcia Freedman who was in Knesset?”   

And she said, “Knesset is nothing!” flipping it off with her hand, adding “I started the peace movement in Israel!”   

I liked her instantly, for her clarified bluntness, and for her values, that helping start a peace movement is more important, and more the essence of her, than being a member of a parliamentShe told me, then or on another occasion, or maybe I read in her memoir further down the road, that she had dragged all her family members out into the street, to walk in the very first march for conciliation between Jews and Arabs, and for stronger Palestinian rightsThis was an unheard-of thing to do and was met with controversy from the general community. 

On another occasion, down the road, I ran into her some place, and she was with a teenage girl who was taller that she, and she introduced the girl as her “little niece.”  She put her arm around her, drawing her close to accentuate their height difference, which she referenced jokinglyMarcia was one of a very few women I knew who was shorter than I.  At some point, I learned she was ten years older than I.   She was already grey hairedShe was American and Israeli, both, born in the U.S. and she spoke English without an accent. 

Another time, down the road, I ran into her at a grocery storeWe greeted each other and I asked “How are you?” 

She said she was “completely exhausted.”  She’d had very few hours of sleep, specifying the numberShe had jet lagShe was returning from the airport from a speaking engagement in Michigan, or Minnesota, and she had not even been home yet.  

Marcia told me, that after her speaking engagement, she spent two hours arguing with three Palestinians who were “rejectionists," and it was "completely exhausting.” 

I had never heard the word “rejectionist,” and I asked her what it meantThis was in the early ‘Eighties, probably 1983She explained there was a faction in Palestinian politics who did not see any possible future role for IsraelThey called themselves rejectionists, and I found it most interesting that she argued with them for hoursThe implications of this had not been incorporated into the general public’s understanding of the Israeli peace movement.   

To leap ahead, I soon left the Bay AreaThen, in the mid ‘90’s, I had the chance to talk with Marcia again, in Washington, D.C., at a conference of Brit Tzedek v'Shalom, the Jewish justice and peace group Marcia had co-founded in the U.S.  I reminded her of our conversation in the grocery store, which she did not remember, understandablyNor did she remember me, at all.   But regarding the word rejectionist, she now said that Israeli rejectionism was just as big a problem as Palestinian rejectionism. 

So, this word began as a self-identification of a Palestinian faction that could not include Israel in its vision of the future -- and then the word had migrated in its usage to apply as well to Israelis who could not envision co-existence with Palestine or the PalestiniansTo me, this is a clarifying vocabulary wordBut I’ve leaped way ahead in the chronology of my interactions with Marcia Freedman, of blessed memory.     

To return to the Bay Area, and the 1980’s, Marcia had spotty attendance at the feminist anti-nuclear group (F.A.N.G.) where I met herBut she did go to a demonstration that F.A.N.G. went to as a groupWe marched through downtown San Francisco, passed the banks that financed nuclear weapons development, shouting slogans at them, then on to a park where we settled on the grass and listened to a series of speakersAt some point, I wandered over to the tabling area with its displays of literature, bumper stickers, tee-shirts, regalia, and some refreshments.   

The N.O.W. women had a table, and they were packing upI told them what group I was with and asked if I could buy a jug of their apple juice, of which they had several, still unopenedToday, the prices of everything are much higher, but for five dollars, they sold me a gallon jug and a dozen paper cups, which I brought back to the F.A.N.G. group and began distributing.    

At once, Marcia exclaimed, “That’s brilliant!”  I felt duly complimented, and also impressed by how articulate she was, and graciousThe word brilliant is not usually applied in instances such as getting refreshmentsDiana Russell also complimented me and asked, as if with earnest surprise, “Where did you get this?” 

That was a moment in which I was appreciated at F.A.N.G.  But there were several moments in which I was at odds with the group, at our meetings, in discussions.   One time I brought to the F.A.N.G. meeting a piece of Christian evangelist literature that quoted the Book of Revelation that a future nuclear war was the will of God unfoldingThis piece of literature had been affixed to the handle of my doorI had never lived in a place where so much evangelizing went onAnd the content of it was extremely appalling to me, especially this nuclear prophesy business, which often featured Israel and the Jews as central elements.   

I wanted the F.A.N.G. group to address this in some oppositional wayThat they didn’t may have been partially due to a fault in my strategyI know I did not have a good pedagogy in introducing thisIn any case, I was appalled, and they were not.   They were courteous to me but said clearly, they wanted their focus to be elsewhereI hung in with the group, though, even though there was this point of conflict.   

Marcia had only been to an occasional meeting of this group, where she seemed quiet, a listenerThen I’d heard that she’d dropped out altogetherI took the initiative of calling her up and asking her why she’d dropped outShe answered me in a general way. 

“I was disappointed,” she saidShe had “hoped the group could be more,” and it hadn’t lived up to her expectations.   

I asked her pointedly, I guess, to be more specific, and she said, “Now you know I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to do.”            

  That was her assertion for privacyShe didn’t want to go into detail about why she had dropped out, clearly.   And of course, she does not have to stay in a group that didn’t meet her expectationsOf course, she does not owe me an in-depth explanation.   

I got off the phone and was somewhat fascinated by her assertion and the quickness of her assertionIn retrospect, if I would have shared some of my disappointment in that group, even though I was still in it, maybe she would have shared more of hers.   

I interacted with her one more time before I left the Bay Area, and that was at the Berkeley Community Swap Meet, where I was a frequent vendorShe came by my booth one dayI had a big spread, half used books, and half anything and everything, all on tables and on a tarp.   We greeted each other and she looked over my stuff, slowly looking with her eyes, not picking up anythingThen she noticed something worth talking about, something conversationable, is what I think.   

I had a Hoehner flutophone, an old plastic but deluxe plastic musical instrument, shaped like a small clarinet, with several fingering holes on top, and one hole on the bottom.    

Marcia said, “I remember those!”  She told me, when she was a kid in school, that was how they learned musicShe went into a little detailWe had no such thing when I was in school. This comparing may have been when I learned she was ten years older than I 

She also noticed my dog, K.C., who was allowed to be at the Berkeley swap meet, unlike at the Alameda swap meetK.C. was very well behaved and congenialMarcia asked me how old she was, and maybe another questionThen our conversation was finished, and she continued walking along. 

A half hour later, a woman browsing through my stuff, showed an interest in the flutophone, picking it up and examining itShe asked if she could play it, and I said yes, of courseBut just as she was about to put the end piece into her mouth, a cockroach jumped outThe woman instantly jumped back and was obviously horrifiedI was horrified, too, and additionally, embarrassedThis was the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to me at the swap meet. 

When I thought about it, I speculated how the cockroach could have gotten into my stuff. There were no cockroaches in my home, and none I had ever seen in my storage spaceBut my overriding thought was relief that Marcia had not picked up the plastic instrument and the cockroach had not jumped out at herBad enough a stranger had gotten the brunt of itMarcia had made a good impression on me in community, and I would not have wanted to make a grossly bad one on her. 

© 2023 Evyn Rubin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on February 15, 2023
Last Updated on March 19, 2023
Tags: peace activism, community, Israel, Palestinians