When You Least Expect It

When You Least Expect It

A Story by Barbara Walker
"

I've discovered that saying has been around a long time for a reason...it's true! Love comes around when you least expect it.

"
I believe the saying, "Love comes when you least expect it." I certainly wasn't searching for love or expecting love to come to me in 2009.
I had a few close friends who meant the world to me.We gathered several times a week, sharing a meal and playing cards. I am disabled from neck and back problems, so if I needed any help with something heavy, my male friends would help me out.
One day, I dropped by one of my girlfriend's house for a minute. She introduced her friend, Tom to me. I took special notice of his eyes and smile. He was a cutie! However, that's as far as I let my thoughts go. After all, I wasn't getting any younger. With my disability, I can't stand or walk for any normal amount of time, so I didn't exactly feel like I was girlfriend material...and then there was the chronic pain.
A week went by and I'd be lying if I said that Tom hadn't crossed my mind. Then, suddenly, there he was, at my door with a mutual friend! I offered refreshments and we visited for an hour or so. The more I talked with Tom, the more I liked him. I found out that, he too, had suffered a fractured neck. His understanding of the problems I still suffered from it was very compassionate. Unlike Tom, I wasn't able to move my head to the right, left or up very far.
One night, I had a gathering of friends at my house. We were talking when I heard a knock at the door. I was pleasantly surprised to find Tom at the door. I invited him in and he joined the gang in the living room. As the evening progressed, I kept finding myself looking at Tom.
Now, you'll just have to trust me, when I say that I am not a flirt. In fact, the art of flirting is something I rather lack. However, I kept making eye contact with Tom, because I felt such a connection to him. Throwing shyness to the wind, I went over and sat by him. I felt like he liked me being there next to him. Later, when everyone else left, Tom stayed.
And we've been together ever since that night.
My sweet, handsome, considerate, loving Tom accepts and loves me, disabilities and all. It's no big deal to Tom to accommodate my needs. When we wanted to go to Disneyland, I worried about how I would hold up. No problem, a motorized cart and I was good to go.
We like to go to yard sales and it has never bothered Tom when I have reached my physical limits and we had to stop.
We like to go to the drive-in. There, I can sit up or half lie down and still see the movie. We hope they never close the only one left in town.
We crack each other up and there are times we both feel like we are nineteen years old again. However, those time are a little too personal to write about!
Love comes when you least expect it.
Love came when I least expected it!

© 2013 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

never give up hope, sometimes hope is all we have

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you Stephen!
Stephen

10 Years Ago

you are very welcome
This is a pleasant little story, but it is also a story full of hope for the lonely.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Craig!
Very good, upbeat story. Getting what you expect is nice. Getting what you don't expect is a nice surprise.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

You're so right! Thank you!
I love this so much...and in my lifelove came also when I wasn't looking

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Good for both of us! Thank you!
"Love comes when you least expect it.
Love came when I least expected it!"
A beautiful story. I learn the same way. Love came to me when I wanted nothing. Funny how we know when true love appear. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

I'm pleased you like it! Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 8, 2013
Last Updated on July 8, 2013
Tags: friend, friends, love

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing