"In my soul, I feel an inner lack.... Just suppose he wants his dinner back..."

"In my soul, I feel an inner lack.... Just suppose he wants his dinner back..."

A Chapter by Fantasy
"

Prologue and introduction of our main characters.

"

Jade giggled slightly as she left the restaurant with her date, Aiden. His short blonde hair blew crazily in the wind and his shirt billowed slightly as a particularly strong wind blew their way, causing Jade’s hair to fall into her face.

            He stopped her where she was on the empty sidewalk and pulled her closer towards him. He gently placed her hair behind her ear, staring into her eyes, which were as blue as a frozen pond in winter.

            Jade bit her lip, her hands were shaking. Standing on this empty street with him alone made her uncomfortable.

            Misinterpreting her body language, Aiden leaned down to kiss her. Jade quickly turned her head, faking a cough.

            “Oh, I think I’m not feeling well, maybe we should call it a night”, she suggested, attempting to walk away from him but he grabbed her arm, stopping her escape.

            “We’re having so much fun though… Aren’t we?” he asked, grinning dangerously.

            “Umm, yes, but I don’t want to risk getting you sick. So if you don’t mind, I’m going to head home now”, she told him, firmly attempting to step away again. Again, he stopped her, this time with more force. He pushed Jade against the nearby side of a building, pressing against her.

            “Get the hell off of me”, she warned him, in a low, cold voice.

            “Not ‘til I say so” Aiden growled at her, moving his mouth to her neck.

            “And I say ‘no’!” she yelled, pushing him off of her with all the strength the adrenaline flowing through her veins like an icy river gave her.  She bolted down the sidewalk, her heart racing. Aiden’s hurried footsteps were not far behind her.

            Jade froze when her path was blocked by four bruiting men, all a good few inches taller than her, five feet away. She heard Aiden catch up to her.

            “You need help, man?” one of the other guys asked, laughing, as two of the other men pulled out guns.

            Jade cursed loudly, searching frantically for an escape. Realizing there was no other option, she slipped off her necklace- a square glass pendant with a jade flower in the center. She let it rest in her hand at her side for a moment while the guys inched closer to her, eyeing her curiously.

            “Forgive me, mother”, she whispered, staring down at her feet, before letting go of the necklace. It hit the ground and shattered like ice on the kitchen floor.

            The second the pendant had left Jade’s hand, she felt the familiar burning sensation in her toes and fingertips, a sensation that had been absent for years now.

            Her body practically vibrated with the release of years of pent up energy. The man closest to her could feel the heat pulsating of her and raised his gun, terrified, prepared to shoot.

            Jade reached out and touched the gun. Instantly it melted, oozing hot metal onto the ground. The mad stumbled backwards, screaming. She gave a sideways glance to Aiden, who went flying into a nearby building and landed on the ground, blood oozing from his head.

            She looked at the other guys, raising her eyebrows expectedly.

            They didn’t hesitate before running in the opposite direction, tripping and stumbling over each other as they ran.

            She knelt down and peered at the broken glass on the ground, touching it gently. Jade blinked back the tears of frustration that were burning at her eyelids and picked up the shattered glass, throwing it as hard as she could.

            “Shouldn’t you find them and erase their memory?” a voice behind her asked. Jade didn’t have to look up to know who it was. She could feel her brother’s eyes, identical to her’s, on her as she placed her hand on her neck, on the exact spot where her mother’s charmed pendant had been moments before.

            She stood up slowly, her back still towards him. She eyed the path the men had just taken to run away before answering.

            “No.” she answered, turning her head just slightly towards him. “Let them be scared next time they try to corner a girl, she’s as powerful a witch as I am.”

            With that, she started to walk off.

            “Guess that whole not-using-your-powers-thing is out the window?” he asked, light-heartedly.

            She froze for a split second before continuing to walk.

            “I’ve missed this part of you, sis. We all have.” He called after her, making her stop abruptly in her tracks.

            “I know. But tonight doesn’t change anything.” She said firmly, not turning around.

            “Doesn’t it?” he questioned, all light-heartedness from before gone. His voice was burning with seriousness.

            She didn’t answer, just continued walking without stopping or turning back again.



© 2014 Fantasy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well written. I absolutely loved the twist of vampire verses witch. This is not a critique at all but a little into this chapter the print became smaller and was difficult to adjust to the sudden change, just a suggestion. However, this piece was excellent, very descriptive with vivid imagery, and the action really pulled me in and compelled me to keep reading. I look forward to seeing more. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work. Please return the favor by reviewing one of my pieces.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
1 Review
Added on August 6, 2014
Last Updated on August 6, 2014


Author

Fantasy
Fantasy

Jacksonville, FL



Writing