ELECTRICKERY AND ME

ELECTRICKERY AND ME

A Story by fargone
"

The life of Fargone

"

ELECTRICKERY AND ME

Current mood:shocked

Good day to you, gentle spirits of the whim. I hope that life is taking you where you want to go.
  I have said many times that I am, without question, a technodonkey. It now falls upon me to confess that this ineptitude reaches, basically, anything remotely practical. As stated before, for me, the sensible meaning of DIY is Don't Involve Yourself. However, life being what it is and stupidity being what it's always been, there have been times when I have foolishly " had a go ".
  Never more foolishly than in matters involving electricity. It and I don't get on at all well. In fact, it's tried to kill me a couple of times. How bloody peevish is that?
  On the first occasion, I was in the process of cleaning a 4 foot long fish tank that we had then. Well, I thought I ought. The fish were wading more than swimming. Anyway, as so often with these things, drink was involved, though only indirectly. I was seriously hung over and not quite at me sparkling best. To this day, if someone asked me to describe what I did or how I did it, I haven't got a clue.
  As you'd expect, everything was wired up for pump, light etc and all wired to some sort of little connection doofler type thingy. Of course, what I should have done was turn it off at the switch.
  That's what I should have done.
  What I actually did was, somehow, end up dipping the live wires in the tank. And Oh, what a bleeding belt I got. That electricity stuff is very unforgiving. It didn't last long, but it was long enough for me to think I was going to die. And the fish were still swimming unperturbed.
  Can you imagine anyone being more stupid than that? In all honesty, can you? Try this for size. I swear on the lives of my grandkids, 20 minutes later I went back for another go at cleaning the tank and did EXACTLY the same thing again. With EXACTLY the same result. I still twitch when I think about it.
  And do you think that's the daftest I've done? Oh, gather round and cop for this one. There was no drink involved on this occasion, just my brain had left for one of it's wanders.
  We were decorating the kitchen. You may not be surprised to know this wasn't my idea. Anyway, we were doing the ceiling and needed to remove the old light fitting, which was attached to the ceiling. The part that you screw up to hold light shades in place would not budge. The damn thing was cross-threaded, and all I could think of was to break it off. So how to do it? If I'd had mole-grips or something to put round and tighten, that might have done it. Didn't have mole-grips. But I did have - garden shears! Yes, I know now that it was a silly idea. I know now.
  Now, I blame Jo partly for this because, after the event, she said that she thought I should have turned the electric off first. Well, no s**t Sherlock. It could have helped a little more if you'd have mentioned it BEFORE I flew across the kitchen. There was quite a spectacular bang on that occasion and we had to get an emergency electrician out. They're on good money, aren't they?
  That was many years ago and it was the last time I had anything to do with the infernal stuff. It's downright vindictive. I long for the return of steam power. Even then I'd probably scald meself to death. Nah, my talents lie in other areas and if I ever find 'em......... 
   
        By Fargone

© 2011 fargone


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

PS please make your font darker. That light stuff makes my eyes bug out, or was that your intention?

Posted 13 Years Ago


I got some good laughs out of this one. There is a book I think you will really enjoy. It's called the The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection by Wendy Northcutt. It's about the crazy ways people manage to kill themselves. One example, there was a guy that lit his cigarette lighter to see how much gas was left in a 50 gallon drum. The outcome was obvious and as a result he was unable to pass his genes on, thus receiving the Darwin Award, thus benefitting all of man kind by frying himself and his sperm.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Just remember, it's not the Volts that kills ya, it's the Amps! This brought back memories of when I was studying electronics in tech school. The things those silly kids tried in there! lol I'm really glad the Amps didn't get ya, because your talent seems to lie in telling humorous stories. We all need more of that! Keep up the good work! I really love the title! 'electrickery'==== I just love that word! Oh, just 1 little thing though, the color you chose for the text is really hard to read. Darker colors do seem to work better.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I loved this one...........excellent story Fargone

Posted 13 Years Ago


I know what fish tanks are like lol, dare I say shocking ; )

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2011
Last Updated on March 9, 2011

Author

fargone
fargone

north-west england



About
For some-one who has never done much, I seem to have done a lot not doing it. more..

Writing
SURVIVING SURVIVING

A Poem by fargone



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..