Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Kevin Chelsea
"

Alone together

"

    Katrina took it easy on the car, the road was in the late time spring stage which was an hour of pot holes. As smooth as the ride was on the pavement, the road was making a mockery of the advertising that promised a smooth ride all the time, anytime, anywhere.
    “I kind of figured.” Jeremy answered after a minute.
    “You really don't have any questions do you?” Katrina let out another sniffling laugh.
    “A million, but all of them are personal and you seem like the kind of person that would want to trade answers.”
    “That's a hell of a thing to say.” Katrina answered, right hand balled into a fist and on her hip while she looked over.
    “It's true.”
    “You know, this is the most you've talked all night.”
    “Mmm.” Jeremy gave a small nod.
    “And I'm losing him again.” Katrina said to no one in particular.
    “Where I'm from, I know to just keep my mouth shut. A great man once said, 'when you're up to your nose in s**t, keep your mouth closed.', you seen the people at the party. Not all of them are the savory type.”
    “Yeah.” The way Katrina said it, she must know exactly what it meant. You don't want the wrong people to come to the rescue.
    “Hell yes, 'yeah', you say one wrong thing around there and you wind up stabbed. But that might be a while ago no, these days, you're likely to get shot in the face.”
    “For somebody who says that he knows to keep his mouth shut, you're talking a fair bit.” Katrina said through a grin.
    “Honestly?”
    “Always the best policy,” Katrina said before letting Jeremy continue.
    “Right. I just noticed a few things about you.” Jeremy was trying to tell her that he knew about people like her. Nice cars that nobody messes with, an identity that is enough to chase off the scum in the middle of night in the bad part of town.
    “Oh?”
    Jeremy nodded slowly and kept his eyes on the road.
    “Like what?” Katrina finally asked after a few glances over, expecting an answer that didn't come.
    “The car.” It came out in almost a monotone. “Those two guys.”
    “Yeah, I kind of figured.” Katrina said in the same flat tone.
    Jeremy turned his head a little and their eyes met, both looked at each other almost out of the corner of their eyes. They both laughed.
    The rest of the ride past with only a few words. Katrina was already traveling far roads in her mind, Jeremy was always quiet by nature so he didn't mind. When they came over the last hill to see the rez, lights twinkling in a valley. Something Jeremy saw all his life, in the winter and summer and times in between.
    “So that's it, huh?” Katrina broke the silence.
    “Yep.” Jeremy gave a little sigh. “Looks nice from here, but when you get closer...” Jeremy only shook his head.
    “I know, I grew up on a rez.” It looked like Katrina wanted to say more about it, but just gave a little nod.
    The last little bit of the ride down into the valley took a minute, Jeremy only put his left hand up and gave his thumb a few pokes to the left. He gave a little laugh when he saw Katrina turn on the signal. It seemed so oddly formal out in the sticks.
    “So where we headed?” Katrina came to the next fork in the road.
    “Well, I live on top, but if you don't mind, we can take a spin or two around the rez to see what's up.”
    “You do that here too, huh?” Katrina turned right, big grin on her face.
    “You know, I never really been to other reserves,” Jeremy shrugged, “I guess.”
    After a few laps, Jeremy told Katrina that they had better park somewhere. He did see a few people look out of their windows, seeing a unfamiliar car creeping around the rez would only make the rezfolk nervous. They parked in the light in front of the community hall, but it was only a few minutes before a drunk stumbled up and started knocking on the window, asked Jeremy if he had a light.
    “Look, it's only going to get worse if we stay here.” Jeremy tried his best to ignore the slurred voice muffled by his window.
    Katrina only laughed and nodded. They found a nice quiet part of the rez and park again. Before an uncomfortable silence can creep in, the drunk found them again. Katrina, through gasps and snickers, told Jeremy that there is a book of matches in the glove compartment. Jeremy cracked the window an inch and flicked it up and down. The drunk blinked, closed one eye and grabbed it then promptly dropped it. They drive off, left the poor guy feeling around on the ground for his matches.
    “Can go to the lake I guess, probably nobody there.” Jeremy points back down the road they drove up on.
    “Trying to get me to yourself? I thought you just wanted a ride home?” Katrina looked over and grins.
    “Well, you said that you can't head back in. The motel is closed until tomorrow morning. I figured that just sitting and watching the clock all night might be a little lonely. All you'll get out here is a few AM stations. I thought I'd hang out if you didn't mind, all I'd have to look forward to is watching late night TV and going to bed because there is nothing else to do.” Jeremy expected a laugh, but he saw that Katrina had a sad smile on her face.
    “I want to go home.” Katrina's smile faltered for the smallest moment.
    The depth of the sadness in her voice told Jeremy how lucky he was to have those things he just listed. Things that he considered mundane, was itself, home. He didn't know why Katrina couldn't turn tail on the world, but when he gave it a little thought, all he wanted a few hours earlier was to go home. All of a sudden, here was somebody who wanted that and couldn't have it anymore.
    “Want to listen to some AM with me?” Jeremy started pressing buttons, not knowing any of them made it even funnier.
    Katrina sniffled again and gave a weak laugh. Jeremy knew she was so close to just breaking down. Whatever inner strength she had would only be able to bear the weight if she had company. Being alone would mean being truly lonely.



© 2012 Kevin Chelsea


Author's Note

Kevin Chelsea
Chapters 4, 5, 6 next... ahh... let's say monday.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
Added on December 20, 2012
Last Updated on December 20, 2012
Tags: vampire, kin, rez


Author

Kevin Chelsea
Kevin Chelsea

IR#4, The Cariboo, Canada



About
►My Blogger website, Stories from #4 I'm just a happy-go-lucky-guy from the rez. Working on putting the links to the stories I moved to blogger here, just smaller. I'll still upload new st.. more..

Writing