Drift Away

Drift Away

A Story by Alex
"

About loss of a loved one.

"

     Rain began to fall lightly outside, making slight pitter-patter noises on the oak walkway leading to the beach. This time of year, late March, the shore was deserted; no beach-goers for at least another month or two. Mary stepped out the back door of her sea-side cottage and into the cool wet breeze of the afternoon. She stood on the patio a few moments, letting the small droplets leave stains on her white cotton dress as she savored the sense of serenity the weather brought her. Then slowly, she began to walk towards to ocean, her head full of thought, feeling as if each step was more painful than the last. Rain was now pouring down in thunderous waves and the warm water soaked her dress thoroughly, leaving nothing to the imagination. As she grew nearer and nearer to the coast, the wind howled, plastering her wet almond-brown hair to her face. The closer she got, the faster and louder everything became. Her footsteps matched tempo with her wildly beating heart as she walked faster and faster to the crashing billows. Lightning cracked and thunder boomed as she took off in a sprint. After what seemed like centuries, Mary reached the shore. Misty-eyed, she just stood there, letting the angry water crash onto her bare legs as she looked out into the receding line of the storm. Memories flooded back with unsettling ease and her hands started to tremble. Why why why, her mind echoed. At once, Mary fell to the ground, her knees digging into the rough sand. She closed her lids tight and forced herself not to shake. Tears began streaming from her eyes, but were lost to the salty ocean spray hitting her face. Standing up, she gathered her composure, took one long drawn-out breath, and thrust herself into the merciless sea. She swam as far out as she could, until all will to fight had left her body, then happily let the thrashing waves drag her under. When almost all the air had escaped her lungs and her heart began to beat slower, Mary felt herself drift into a bittersweet oblivion where she could find peace. Where I can be with him. And with that final thought, she smiled one last time, and sank into the darkness.

© 2008 Alex


Author's Note

Alex
Eh. I have an obsession with water.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think you did a lot with this piece in a very short amount of time and words. I loved the build up and the description of the beach; that really got my mind working. I think it brought back memories of rainy beach days that I have seen in the past, and blended well together with the way your story was going.
The content was cool too. I have to steal one of your words when I say it was "bittersweet". Sad, but somewhat peaceful.
Good job. You painted a good picture in your readers mind, then injected several feelings to make it come alive as well. I was frustrated I could not run out and save the woman.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 9, 2008
Last Updated on June 11, 2008

Author

Alex
Alex

Silverhill, AL



About
I'm Alex. I like to write. I write about however I'm feeling at the moment. There's a reason and a story behind everything written here. Ask me about it. I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to know you... more..

Writing
All I Ask All I Ask

A Poem by Alex


Wake Up Wake Up

A Poem by Alex