Perhaps Divine Intervention

Perhaps Divine Intervention

A Chapter by Nika Sinclaire

It was almost the end of the day. I still had a million of things to do. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to get it all done. I had two essay papers due tomorrow and my mom had texted me to pick up some things for her. As soon as I walked out of the school's silver gates... it began to pour. It seemed like the gods were going out of their way to make my day worse than it already was. As if someone had heard my thoughts. Out of nowhere a shiny, black Wrangler came into view from the school parking lot. I tried my best to hide into the bushes around the gates but it was too late. I was spotted.
Terrific. 
I had only seen one person at our school with that car. Sinclaire. 
And as if I hadn't already seen enough of him today... he decides to park his car at the curb of where I was standing. 
"Hi", he said.
"Hello." 
"Are you heading home?"
"Yup."
I had to keep reminding myself to keep it short and to the point. I tend to ramble a lot when i'm nervous.
"Um, I still have to give these books to a friend but I can give you a ride."
"No. It's fine. I have to go the mall anyway to pick some stuff up."
"Don't be an idiot, it's raining... besides I was gonna go there anyway"
F**k.
"Okay."
"Sooooo.... Why don't you wait in the car? I'll be back in 2-3 minutes."
"Okay."
What the hell? Now i'm starting to sound like that chick from that John Greene book.
So I climb into the car.

I'm wearing his letterman jacket and I'm riding shotgun of his car.
The teenager in me is fangirling right now.

I don't let her.

For a minute I try and play a game in the hopes of forgetting where I am but it doesn't work. I take a look at his dashboards and open compartments. He has a Justin Timberlake CD. I pretend as if I don't love that. One thing that I notice more than anything is that he has over a billion terminal tickets shoved everywhere. His car is a mess. I can't help but want to rearrange some of his stuff but thankfully he comes into view. 
I look down and try not to stare. I try to remember if these windows are tinted or not.

They're not.

As soon as he gets in I try to start up a conversation.
"What's with all the terminal tickets?" 
"My parents visit my grandparents a lot outside of the City. It's a boat ride away. They make me pick them up", he explains.
"Oh cool."

It's a 5 minute car ride to the mall. I can survive 5 minutes. 

Yeah I get crushes on guys from time to time but that's it. I don't really care about it that much. I just wanna finish with what I've started and get the hell out of this place and find what i'm truly capable of accomplishing. Nothing can get in the way of that.

Michael Sinclaire was the kind of guy people wrote songs, stories, and poems about.
He was the perfect guy in every way. 
But i'm busy trying to escape right? So why did it matter? 
It didn't.

The thought relaxed me. 

"Um, here is your jacket", I say while handing it to him.
"But it's still raining." 
Stating the obvious, I thought, as I ran my fingers through my hair. Hopefully it'll dry soon.
"I don't think i'll need it. My mom's coming to pick me up."
"Ok, so what does your mom do?"
Wow. He's trying to make small talk. I wonder if he finds this conversation as awkward as I do. 
But then again as what I've heard i'm the only person who finds things awkward in every little situation.
"She's a nurse."
"That's really fascinating. I've always wanted to be a nurse."
This makes me laugh hard. Then I see him take his eyes of the road for a moment and meet mine.
"oh. You weren't kidding."
"Yeah I really wasn't. It's so cool to know you have a certain power to save someone's life."
"Ahh yes, But with great power comes great responsibility"
He chuckles. It's such a sweet sound. 
You know that happy feeling you get from eating chocolate? That's how I felt listening to him talk and it disgusted me. I didn't want to be one of those airheads who talks about being in love and how much she'd cry if that guy would break up with her. I never want to be so reliant on a person. You'd invest so much time, money and effort into a relationship but there's a huge possibility that person you're seeing now isn't the person you will end up with. So why bother?

"What about you dad?" 
"My dad left when I was 8. I have no idea where he is now."
"Oh sorry I asked."
"No problem. You didn't know." 

"Do you want to listen to music?"
"Yeah sure."
If he put that Justin Timberlake CD in I would die of laughter. Luckily he didn't.
He started to play something else.

It was a song I hadn't listened to in months. 
I felt a surge of happiness run through me as soon as I heard it.
It was "Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional. 
I sat there saying nothing the rest of the ride just sitting there... listening.... 
Not knowing I was starting to like Michael....


© 2014 Nika Sinclaire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on June 16, 2014
Last Updated on June 25, 2014


Author

Nika Sinclaire
Nika Sinclaire

Cebu City, Philippines



About
17. Nursing Student. Not that great a writer. Just thought i would give it a go :D more..

Writing
How We Met How We Met

A Chapter by Nika Sinclaire