Chapter One: The Girl and The Crystal

Chapter One: The Girl and The Crystal

A Chapter by Steph
"

A teenage girl is daydreaming in class. A being from another dimension sees a girl inside a crystal.

"
     It was a bright and glistening morning, the dew covered trees sparkled as the sun’s rays hit the branches. The meadow twinkled as every blade of grass and flower petals shook in the breeze. In the distance, birds and wildlife were coming to life as the sun dried out the forest.
     A deer came out of the dense forest into the meadow to lick the remaining drops of dew off of the blades of grass. A childlike being ran out from the thicket of trees and stumbled to the ground. The deer flinched and darted back into the forest. The being arose onto its feet brushed leaves and twigs off it’s tattered clothing. It looked around cautiously. Then it continued to run through the meadow. It’s long white hair flowing in the breeze.
     It came to a river just beyond the meadow. It looked around down one side of the river then the other side. Then it picked up a branch that was lying along the riverbank. While it was examining the branch a loud shriek came from beyond the meadow and in the thicket behind it.  The being nervously set the branch in the water hovered its hands over the branch that was floating in the water. The branch transformed into a canoe. The being climbed inside the canoe. Then floated down stream. Suddenly, a large cat like creature. With silver colored fur and saber tooth like fangs, darted out of the thicket of trees. The creature sniffed around as if it was trying to pick up a scent. It continued through the meadow crouching on all fours to pick up the scent. As it came up to the riverbank it paced back and forth. It gave up, then headed back into the thicket of trees.
     The childlike being continued to drift downstream. It came to a clearing. The canoe began drifting toward the clearing. As if something were steering it in that direction, banking itself on the side of the river. After climbing out of the canoe, the being started running along the riverbank. It came to an area with structures that looked like glass domes. As the being approached these structures, another being came out of one of them. The new being looked almost identical to the first. Except the new being was taller and had broader shoulders. It glanced up as the first being approached it. The new being having a worrisome look, ran up to the first being and embraced it. The first being opened its mouth as if to speak………………
     “Pay attention.” Mr. McNeil said as he slammed his yard stick on the girl’s desk. The startled girl looked up at the teacher with a blank stare. “Yes sir. Sorry Mr. McNeil.” The girl said in a quivering voice. The other children chuckled amongst themselves. Mr. McNeil walked back over to his desk and set the yardstick on top of it. He then went over to the chalkboard and wrote: “The History of The Civil War”.
“Now I want everyone to write an essay on this subject.” He said. “It will be due on Friday.” Just then, a bell rang. Twenty students scrambled up out of their seats grabbing their books and papers.  “Anne, I’d like to talk to you for a moment.” Mr. McNeil said as he sat down at his desk. The girl nervously collecting her papers and books walked over to Mr. McNeil’s desk. “Y-you wanted to see me sir?” Anne stuttered. “Anne that is the third time I caught you not paying attention in class. The next time I catch you I’m calling your parents.” Mr. McNeil said sternly. Mr. McNeil was a tall gangly looking man with balding reddish brown hair, moustache and beard. “I’m sorry sir, sometimes I can’t help it. It’s almost like I’m entering another world. All I have to do is, picture it in my mind and I’m there.” Anne tried to explain. “It’s good to have an imagination Anne. However, we can’t live in a fantasy world. We have to accept the responsibilities we have in the real world. This means, you have to apply yourself. Focus on your schoolwork.” Anne was looking down she didn’t want to look at Mr. McNeil in the face. She despised being lectured especially from teachers. “Yes sir,” Anne mumbled. “I-I’ve got to go.”
“Alright, off you go. I don’t want you to be late to your next class.” Mr. McNeil said.  Anne rushed out of the classroom. She scurried to get to her locker. The halls were emptying as students entered their classrooms. When she reached her locker, the bell rang. Anne looked around to see if there were any teachers monitoring the halls. She didn’t care if she was tardy, she hated school. Anne didn’t have many friends. She tossed her books in her locker and grabbed her gym bag. She did enjoy gym, not because of the exercise or sports. She was able to allow her mind to wander even further. There was not a lot of concentration involved with physical activity. She decided to take the long way to class, so she went outside and around the back of the school. The hallways were too conspicuous. As she was walking, she remembered what she was dreaming about before Mr. McNeil interrupted her…………
      The childlike being began to speak. It was moving it’s mouth but no sounds were coming out. The older being nodded it’s head as if it understood. When the older being went to speak it did not move it’s mouth. The childlike being was understanding what the older being was saying. They continued in silent conversation;
( Father, the hunters have returned.  There was one in the meadow it followed me to the river where it could not cross. I transformed a branch into a boat so I could get safely back home. What must we do?)
The fatherly figure nodded his head. (Natto it’s alright my son. I will warn the others and we will send scouts to protect the area. Go and see your mother let her know you are safe. There is something I must do first.)
Natto nodded his head and started toward one of the dome structures. There were no doors or windows on the domes. They reflected the surroundings of trees and bushes as if they were giant dome mirrors camouflaging  the structures.  Natto stepped up to the outside of the dome, closed his eyes and walked through the glass. Once on the inside you could see the outside surroundings. As if it were made from one way glass. Inside the dome there were living quarters. In the center, ten pillows surrounded a large crystal that suspended itself in midair.  The sleeping quarters and cooking area spread along the inner perimeter of the dome structure. There were large pillow like cushions for mattresses the blankets were made of woven feathers. The cooking area had a fire pit with a grill and oven made from rocks and glass.
Natto looked around for his mother and saw her over by the cooking area preparing a meal.
(Natto, you’re home.) She stated as she glanced over at Natto.
(Yes Mother, I have news I informed Father of the situation.) Natto stated.
(What is it my son?) she asked.
(The hunters have returned. One followed me through the forest. I managed to escape down the river by transforming a branch into a canoe.) (Natto, I’m glad you are safe. You must get some rest. Transforming matter drains a lot of energy.) (I know Mother, I will re-energize a soon as I inform the rest of the clan.)
(They went on a hunt this morning. Nala is here, she went to see her friend Lila.) (Alright Mother, I will re-energize. I will wait until the rest of the clan and Lila returns.)
     Natto went over to the center of the room where the crystal surrounded by the ten pillows were. He sat down on one of the pillows, closed his eyes. Began drawing the energy from the crystal into himself. As he was doing so, a glowing light began emitting from his body. His body rose up from the ground. He levitated in mid air for a moment then settled back down to the ground. The glowing dissipated as he opened his eyes. He looked into the crystal and began to see a faint figure of a girl………..

     Anne snapped back to reality, she stood in the back of the school over by the football field. Bewildered, she continued walking (could that girl in the crystal be me?) she thought. (It’s possible, after all it is my daydream.) Anne walked across the football field. A four lane running track surrounded the field. Students poured out from behind the school all dressed in their gym uniforms.  Mrs. Daggerfield the gym teacher followed behind blowing her whistle.
“Alright I want everyone to give me two laps!” Mrs. Daggerfield yelled. She looked over to where Anne stood. “Anne! You’re late! Go change into your uniform and get back out here. I’m going to dock your credit for this.” Mrs. Daggerfield yelled out. Anne gave her a scowled look. (What’s the use in getting in my uniform?) Anne thought. (By the time I get changed and back out here all the other students will be done with their laps.) So Anne slowly proceeded back towards the school to the girls locker room.  
“Hustle Anne!” Mrs. Daggerfield ordered. “Okay! I’m going.” Anne said sarcastically. Anne walked a little faster she didn’t like to run, as she wasn’t in the best shape. She was a little chubby.  “It’s just baby fat.” Her Mother used to tell her. “She’ll grow out of it.” Anne was fourteen now she’s at the trailing edge of childhood. She had already gone through puberty.
Anne reached the girls locker room. She went over to her locker, began turning the dial of the combination lock. Trying to remember the combination, she recalled what she last dreamt about…………  

(Mother, I see something in the crystal.) Natto exclaimed.
(What do you see Natto?) she asked as she walked over towards the crystal. (I see a girl. A human girl.)
(Human? How can that be? There are no humans here.)
(Why am I seeing her then? Am I having a premonition?)
(I don’t know my son, why don’t you ask Thalo he’s the oldest and wisest of our kind. He is with a different clan. He lives by the ocean you can travel by the river in order to avoid hunters.)
(How far is the ocean?)
(At least a day traveling by river.)
(Alright Mother, When Father and the rest of the clan arrives I will inform them of what is happening.)



© 2013 Steph


Author's Note

Steph
This is a rough draft, please ignore any grammar problems, or punctuation problems. NOTE TO READER: The Dialogue in parenthesis is a Telepathically silent dialogue. It is originally intended to be written in Italics to indicate as such. Please be aware of this thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Steph! Well, I'm liking it so far.. on to the next chapter! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on January 1, 2013


Author

Steph
Steph

West Valley City, UT



About
I am a creative individual with an extensive imagination. I love any type of art form. Particularly photography, sculpture, painting, literature, and motion picture. more..

Writing
The Daydreamer The Daydreamer

A Book by Steph