The Lake

The Lake

A Story by Jason

 

Frigid water caves into my lungs. Swallowing gulps of salt covered breaths, made of liquid and certainly frozen. Panic is not far from settling. The last clear sounds were a creaking, crackling, and a crashing, as I was swallowed whole. The frantic search began. Seeking the mouth from where I held my last gasp of true air, my hands are held above my head, feeling for a break in this slippery cage that held me below. I was caught in the belly of a frozen lake. My bones rattled as the cold started to overwhelm me. My skin shivered until the numbness consumed my flesh. Like a million needles paralyzing my muscles, I felt the burning freeze climb up my spine. The lack of oxygen caused my veins to slow with the beat of my heart, my center, my life started to drift away. The useless sun scattered reflections of the ice, sending beautiful shafts of shining light through the water that seemingly would become my final rest. The very irony being that these waters I have so many times found sanctity in, would be my demise. I can barely see the little life around me now. The blur of the stinging water hinders my sight as my consciousness begins to melt away. I will soon join the hardened water and become still, floating endlessly along, until the arrival of spring thaws me. Darkness is giving in…but not one of death- A vessel drifts above me breaking me free of this frozen prison. Scattered life reaching down to save my once doomed body. Warm grasps from familiar hands pulling me to dry air. At the moment before I was lifted out from this cold hell, I was suddenly pulled back in by a set of razor teeth, gnawing and chewing me to a new death. This much more warmer, much more painful. The once icy blue water was now painted a hot burning red. The sun shone in beautiful crimson shafts; reflecting the blood off the ice as I disappeared from the cold lake, and was swallowed whole again, but this time, never to be saved.
 

© 2008 Jason


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

As reading, I felt my chest get tight because your words were so vivid. How things in our life that are so beautiful can become the death of us, baffles me.

"I was suddenly pulled back in by a set of razor teeth, gnawing and chewing me to a new death.:

This line sent chills down my spine. You have an amazing way with words Jason.

Posted 16 Years Ago


intereting use of words there

Posted 16 Years Ago


good imagery.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

640 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 18, 2008
Last Updated on March 18, 2008

Author

Jason
Jason

Pasadena, CA



About
There are some really beautiful people on this site that I am glad to have met! So many have crossed my heart... - I already know that something is wrong with me, so no need to remind me when I.. more..

Writing
Chivalrous Chivalrous

A Screenplay by Jason


motion motion

A Poem by Jason



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..