Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Fleamonkey
"

... those crimson eyes would haunt her for the rest of her life

"

“Kainen, I’m at my limit. You’re never at home, you don’t spend any time with Cara… I just don’t see how we can be a family if you continue on like this.”

 

The scene was a classic one. A distraught young wife on the verge of tears facing her despondent husband who seemed to be trapped in a corner, all while the little girl of only two watched on. Of course, Cara didn’t understand a thing they were saying.  All she knew was that her mommy was upset with the strange man standing by the door. It was truly sad, the fact that she was unable to recognize her own father. Confused and a little frightened, Cara crawled over to her mother and gripped at her skirts. Eyes flicking downwards, her mother bent down and scooped her up into her arms.

 

Kainen sighed and ran his fingers through his unruly black hair. “I- I can’t help it Rita.  My job demands a lot from me. And I can’t quit” he said sternly, before Rita could protest. “You know how important it is.” Rita’s face clearly showed that she, in fact, did not know the importance of his job. Or if she did, she didn’t see how it was more important that Kainen’s own family.

 

 Cara buried her head in Rita’s chest, wondering when this was going to be over. She wanted a cookie. Rita shook her head in exasperation. “I-“ She was cut off by a loud beeping coming from Kainen’s pocket. It was a wonder her toxic gaze didn’t burn through his jacket. “I’m needed” was all Kainen said, clutching his beeper tightly. He knew, oh lord he knew that this was wrong, that Rita was right. He stared at the small figure that was his child, the child who regarded him with thinly veiled suspicion. He had a choice, but he always seemed to make the wrong one. This time was no different. With a deep breath, he turned around and headed to the door. Years later, he would look back at this moment and wonder, what possessed him to abandon his family like that? A sense of duty?

 

Rita stared at his retreating figure with an unnatural calm. “If you leave us right now Kainen Smith, I promise you that we won’t be here when you come back.” Her face remained impassive as Kainen paused, hand covering the doorknob. He swallowed and looked back over his shoulder at Rita and Cara, who was watching him intently with her big blue eyes. He closed his eyes, faced the door again, and after a moment, opened it and vanished into the night. He believed that his usually docile wife was bluffing.  A dire mistake on his part.

 

As soon as Kainen was out of sight, Rita set Cara down, handing her a cookie and some toys. Enough to keep the little girl occupied while she packed. She had meant what she said. Rita didn’t pack much, just some clothes, her valuables, and money. She’d send for the rest of her things later. Standing at the door after an hour of frenzied preparations, Rita began to question whether this was a good idea. It had seemed so in the heat of the moment, but now… she was having doubts. Perhaps she should try to work things out one more time. Or at least sleep on it. Kainen always did say that traveling at night was dangerous. Her resolve wavered, then strengthened. She was doing this.

 

The night air hit Rita like a brick wall. She shivered slightly, holding Cara tighter. The girl was sleeping happily in her stroller. She looked peaceful. Rita couldn’t help but wonder what sort of dream Cara was having. Kainen would regret this. He would regret his decision. Mouth set in a grim line, she headed towards her car. It was absurdly simple. Down the pathway and over to the driveway where the car was parked. Nothing should have gone wrong.

 

Should have.

 

The air smelt queer, like decay. That was the first sign that something was off. And it was quiet. Deathly quiet. Despite knowing it was a bad idea, Rita stopped. She heard a rustle in the bushes. Her heart pounded furiously inside her chest. Her friends always joked that instead of running away from danger, Rita rushed right at it in fear. Had she done so this time? Shaking her head slightly, she told herself not to be silly.  Rita rubbed her eyes with her free hand and moved forward.

 

With a thud, a tall figure dropped down in front of her. She came to an abrupt halt, eyes narrowed. What the- more importantly, where did it come from? After a pause, the figure smiled, moonlight dancing off of its dazzlingly white teeth and perfectly sharp fangs. Rita looked up, fear seizing her. Afraid for herself, afraid for Cara.  Crimson eyes stared back down at her, thirsty.

 

Those crimson eyes would haunt her for the rest of her life.



© 2010 Fleamonkey


Author's Note

Fleamonkey
Be honest and be nice :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on May 25, 2010
Last Updated on May 25, 2010


Author

Fleamonkey
Fleamonkey

Calgary, Canada



About
Born on Halloween, predictably, some of my favourite things have to do with the occult. My other likes include writing, reading, video games, roleplaying, Jensen Ackles, glee, windy evenings, puppy ki.. more..

Writing
Crimson Crimson

A Book by Fleamonkey