Memories Never Fade

Memories Never Fade

A Story by Zoya

    “Mom, look what Teresa did to me!” I complained, showing her the bruise on my left arm. “We were playing hide and seek and before I could even count till ten, she suddenly showed up out of nowhere and scared me to bits. I fell on my back and the silly rocks lying around gave me this silly bruise and it’s all because of that silly creature named Teresa!”

    Mom abandoned the chores she had been doing and listened to me carefully. All this while, not even for a second did her iris not look fixedly into mine. Wearing a kind of smile that would instantly make you an admirer of the elegant lady, she said:

    “Calm down, sweety. I bet you don’t want to say that for your friend, yes, even though she scared you. Bruises heal with time. Everything in life is temporary, my dear, including this life itself. Don’t waste your precious time complaining. Time flies…you know that, right? So go, go and make thousands of memories, cause memories never fade. In the later years, whenever you feel void or dead from inside, memories are what keep you company. Certain scents, certain words, certain sights, from the childhood days, when encountered again in future, would give you pleasure far beyond your wildest imagination. This is all I got to say. Dump it or heed it, your choice.” She finished, beaming.

    The atmosphere lightened up. Just a talk with mom, and the aura that surrounded her often eased up situations for me. Mother and I shared a special bond. After her divorce with dad, it had just been me and her all along. Not one existed who could spoil the relationship we maintained. I hoped this to continue until the end of my life. I wanted my mom to be there…with me…always.

    

    “By the time you rinse your bruise, I’ll be back with the first-aid kit. Mommy to the rescue!”

    

    She sure had a way with words; always the reason behind my smile.

    

    I went over to the kitchen sink. The blood cleared away with the cold water that rushed down the tap. I could hear the radio playing my mom’s favourite song:

                          

                                                 

                                                  One day at a time, sweet Jesus,

                                                  that’s all I’m asking from you…

   

    Our taste was similar in almost everything. Though I failed to understand why the sweet food never fascinated her.

   

    I’d better ask her to eat more chocolates. Guess that’s why she’s losing weight and having those headaches.

    

    I washed my hands for another two minutes. The cold water dulled the pain the bruise caused. I heard footsteps and instantly knew she was back with the kit. Finally done with washing the cut, I turned off the tap. The song continued to play in the background:

                       

                                                  

                                                  Yesterday’s gone, sweet Jesus,

                                                And tomorrow may never be mine.

                                                   Lord he-


    Hearing a loud thud, I turned around. Mom lay motionless on the floor. The kit, with its components scattered, rested beside her. I did nothing but stared. With my limbs all jammed to run away from  the dreadful scene, I simply closed my teary eyes to escape the reality. And when I opened them again…it was a totally different sight.

    

    “Mom, mom, you know what, Kevin called me a liar!"

   

    I saw a short human figure standing in front of me. Tears blurred my vision. Truth slowly dawned upon me. Years had passed since the last time I saw her. I recalled her words to me that day…and they proved to be accurate, only half of them, though. She was right…memories never fade.

    

    “Eh, mom…why are you crying?”

    

    This time it was my tongue that had been jammed. Hugging the little one who stood in front of me, I cried my heart out and listened to the song that had been playing all through that time:

                       

                                               

                                        Lord help me today, show me the way,

                                                        One day at a time…

   

 

© 2017 Zoya


Author's Note

Zoya
thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The mum speech was so well done. it really felt like the wording which a mother would use in talking to her child - really well though out Zoe - very realistic. I noticed that somebody else picked up on the word 'silly' being written 3 times. I have too admit that at first it was my feeling too and was going to mention it BUT after seeing it from a childs point of view it makes complete sense for it to be written in this way and so I appreciate your way of thinking when you wrote this part, as by putting yourself in the characters shoes makes it more believable and true - GOOD WORK!

I do have to say that by adding in the song bit was such an imaginative idea that by the end had end come and gone, you have me nodding my head with a grin on my face and saying 'that was really cool' under my breath.

Zoe, you are a star.

Well done!

Mark.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Mr.Mark, for your time and review! So glad you liked it. Hope you are doing goo.. read more



Reviews

Good work!!
Good beginning, middle and end!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thanks much. Appreciated!
You have a very powerful story here. The mother's love for her child was clear and pleasant to read. And then that ending really hits hard. It's hard to put into words everything it signifies. Very well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Clifford! I appreciate it!
Indeed, memories don't fade. Enjoyed the read

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Glad you did! Thank you!
The mum speech was so well done. it really felt like the wording which a mother would use in talking to her child - really well though out Zoe - very realistic. I noticed that somebody else picked up on the word 'silly' being written 3 times. I have too admit that at first it was my feeling too and was going to mention it BUT after seeing it from a childs point of view it makes complete sense for it to be written in this way and so I appreciate your way of thinking when you wrote this part, as by putting yourself in the characters shoes makes it more believable and true - GOOD WORK!

I do have to say that by adding in the song bit was such an imaginative idea that by the end had end come and gone, you have me nodding my head with a grin on my face and saying 'that was really cool' under my breath.

Zoe, you are a star.

Well done!

Mark.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Mr.Mark, for your time and review! So glad you liked it. Hope you are doing goo.. read more
Zoe. This is a pretty good premise. There are some things to watch though. The first paragraph has silly in it three times.
The dialogue in the third paragraph comes across as much too formal. Think of how your mother talks to you.
The bruise suddenly becomes a bloody cut. In the movies the term is continuity. It applies to writing as well.
Would a child be referred to as a 'short human figure'?

You have a knack for pulling good story lines
from a few words. They just need a little polish.

Good writing. Keep at it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Ted, for your time and review. I used 'silly' three times in the first para deliberately... read more
What a beautifully sad story. Seems to rattle the senses from the start, I thought something vital might occur, don't know how or why. The way in which you talked of mother, made her the immediate focus, perhaps. The ending strikes the heart.. was unecpected, was/is tragic and all the way through written so very finely.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much, emma. I appreciate the review!
No other prediction that is suppose to be make by me now... I have always found you an expressive writer... Take it as a strong motivation... I am damn sure you gonna get all the success...keep writing... The tiny package of talent

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Haha, thank you Abhishek. I appreciate your comment!
for such a young person
your writing is mature and amazing. i loved how this was constructed and the moral included
your stories always impress me and your style of writing keeps one engaged in the story itself
i believe youll find success in this field when you grow
you have the talent
great stuff !!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Oh, thank you so much for your kind words, Pia! Hopefully that comes true :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very poignant story, Zoe.

As always, this one is well written and concisely constructed with a wonderful moral message at it's heart.

You have told an intimately sad tale very well; memories never fade, so true. They tend to dull a little over time, but as you wrote, it only takes a scent, tune or word to make them burst forth into our consciousness with strength and power.

I enjoyed the twist at the conclusion and your final paragraphs do strike at the heart of the reader with their truth and realism.

Another fine piece of writing. Keep it up.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Right. Memories do dull over time...but there's always that one silly corner in the brain...saving t.. read more
.

6 Years Ago

Always a pleasure.
Powerful and worthwhile story shared. You create strong characters, situation and need for prayer. Thank you Zoe for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you so very much for your time!
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

866 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 29, 2017
Last Updated on August 4, 2017

Author

Zoya
Zoya

India



About
Twenty-one and learning🌻 more..

Writing
Forevers Forevers

A Story by Zoya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The River The River

A Poem by Zephyr


"Pauper" "Pauper"

A Poem by Valentine


Just Life Just Life

A Poem by Valentine