Chapter 1: A Diary On The Road

Chapter 1: A Diary On The Road

A Chapter by Kayla

The mist hung over the green mountains in the distance, and the humidity pushed against Parker's face , making him feel hot and sweaty. He shrugged the heaviness off, trudging down a long and empty street. It was early morning, and Asheville hadn't quite waken up yet.  Parker stared gloomily at his feet. It was what he did most of the time- stare at his feet I mean.
             Parker wasn't a mean man, in fact, he was really very nice. It was just that was sensible and practical, and sensible and practical people always seem a bit dull to others. There was also another thing that dragged him down, and that was that he had never fallen in love. True love cannot be described, and it changes a person completely, changes them so as to bring out the best in them. For now, he stared at his feet, but this is the story that taught him how to look up and see the people around him.
        For as he trudged down that long and empty street,  he noticed a small notebook laying smack in the middle of the road. It was because of the fact that it lay face up, it words spilling open for any passerby, that Parker picked it up.  It wasn't a very large notebook, and it wasn't very pretty (in fact, most of it's corners were dog-eared and it's pages weathered), but it looked like someone had cared about it a great deal, and that interested him. In fact, it was a diary, and it would change Parker forever. Parker was not the type of person to pick up someone's diary and read it in hopes of finding inspiring people and ideas. In fact, he was very much the opposite. He simply wondered why someone would leave their secrets blowing in the humid Asheville air for anyone to read. Why indeed?
        The book was old and spotted. It was made of a material that may have once been velvet, but it certainly wasn't anymore. Shrugging, Parker flipped the worn book over. The cover had a greying label stuck on the front with only four words on it. 'You should read this', it said in neat handwriting. How intriguing, thought Parker. For what kind of person not only leaves their diary in the road, but wants someone to read it? The answer was a person in terrible pain. But right now, Parker knew nothing of this, he simply felt something tugging at him to open the diary. So, sitting under a large oak tree, he fingered the first thin page and began to read.

Dear You,                                                                       May 16, 2012

        My name is Amelia, and this is where I shall share my deepest thoughts and secrets. This is where I will pour out my soul and find comfort. And this is where I shall leave a piece of myself for someone to open and read when my journey is done at last. I am writing to you, though I don't know your name or who you are, because I need to believe that someone understands and sympathizes. I need to know that I'm not alone. And I need to feel like there is someone out there who needs to read these words as much as I need to write them.
        
My name is Amelia, and I am writing to you, dearest friend, because two weeks ago my world ended. Two weeks ago, my best friend died. Two weeks ago, I stopped caring about everything and everyone. Two weeks ago, I lost someone I loved. Two weeks ago, I stopped being able to hear the words 'cancer', 'sickness', 'death', or 'Cher', without crying. Cher..... Her name meant dearest one, and she was dear to me. She was my best friend, my sister. Maybe someday I will be able to hear and talk about things like this without crying, but I can't now. I miss her. So even though I am not a writer, nor a poet, I'm writing in you. Because this was Cher's last gift. This was what she gave me before she died. A notebook. One she had never written in. She told me...she told me it was important that I write the story of my life, and no one else. So I'm trying. For Cher. This is my life, friend. I'm trying to write my story. I'm trying to be strong. I'm trying to learn to go on. I'm trying, but I don't know how I can even find the strength to try.

Love,
Me




And so began Parker's life-changing journey.


© 2013 Kayla


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The content of the letter hooked me. I want to know more about Amelia, what happened to her, and why she left a message the way she did. Maybe it's because of the mystery surrounding her.

If this is going to be a long story, I think it would be an improvement to introduce Parker more fully before he finds the letter. Maybe explain more about who he is and what his life has been like, perhaps include an anecdote from his past or present.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this story so far and i hope you finish it! :D There is so much mystery surrounding the characters and you can definatly tell it is going to turn out to be one of those books you just cant put down :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


The content of the letter hooked me. I want to know more about Amelia, what happened to her, and why she left a message the way she did. Maybe it's because of the mystery surrounding her.

If this is going to be a long story, I think it would be an improvement to introduce Parker more fully before he finds the letter. Maybe explain more about who he is and what his life has been like, perhaps include an anecdote from his past or present.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 19, 2013
Last Updated on January 19, 2013


Author

Kayla
Kayla

Oz



About
I love to write, and I've been told I'm pretty good at it. I guess that's really all you need to know. :) more..

Writing