The idea of ancestry.

The idea of ancestry.

A Poem by Aliice In Wonderland
"

Written for a creative writing class.

"

So long ago, I cannot remember

So long ago I wasn’t yet born

My father’s grandfather traveled by boat to an island of immigrants.

He made his way from a war-ridden Germany to the shores of Ellis Island

With only the small amount of money in his pocket.

My grandfather was a psychiatrist and my grandmother, a painter

When he died at the age of fifty, my grandmother got into drinking and after many hard years of alcoholism and obsessive compulsive disorder, she finally found God.

She has to where white cotton gloves now because of what the hand washing did to her.

One of my father’s cousins was a paranoid schizophrenic and the other a depressive because of the things her brother did.

My father grew up in Connecticut with his family as it slowly fell apart.

He became depressed and decided to see a psychiatrist.

He worked his way through college and met my mother at an engineering company.

My mother had grown up poor in Medford with four other siblings.

Her father had died of a heart-attack just like my father’s father at just about the same age.

I never got to meet either of my grandfathers, or my schizophrenic cousin.

I would have liked to meet them, gotten to know them, but I guess it’s a little too late for that.

© 2012 Aliice In Wonderland


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on January 1, 2012

Author

Aliice In Wonderland
Aliice In Wonderland

MA



About
My name is Aliice, I'm hoping to preserve my writing as much as I can before nothing makes sense anymore. more..

Writing