Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Foyiwae

Evening fell as the twin moons rose, Ariel the mother, and Aliel the daughter. A perfect time for a hunter to stalk their prey.
The capital of Orsand, the emerald city , was the pride and joy of the elves of Ergen, and a place which many called home.
From the bustling city docks to the spires of Absolon, the metropolis was a beacon of prosperity and life.
But, hidden away in the maze-like alleyways of the Smoke Gate, where seedy taverns and damp brothels hosted their business, success was rare indeed.
A soft sprinkling of rain indicated the end of the season, and even at this time people bustled to and fro, to get the last stock. Preparing for the coming of Earthencrest .
No one noticed heavy boots on the cracked pavement. Street vendors hawked their wares, and heavy bartering continued uninterrupted.
The individual, not noticeably tall, but narrow shoulders and a slight limp in their step, continued to press their way through the crowd, dark eyes landing on a sign up ahead, their destination.
‘The Golden Scale’
With a grunt, the lithe figure made their way past a couple, far too drunk for this time of evening, leaning into each other with hushed whispers of sweet words, and stepped into the establishment.
A quaint two-story building, with the standard white stone brick and red tiled roof that dominated the architecture of the city.
Pushing the door open, the faint sound of a dulcimer reached the ears of the patrons who chose to visit, and the same dark eyes hidden by a hood, scanned the tavern for a minute.
“Alright then, what can a do for ye?” The voice of the barkeep, a halfling woman they noticed, kind green eyes and curled red hair with streaks of silver. Crows’ feet wrinkling to a smile.
“A room will cost ye twae copper aye, get ye a mug of ale and some stew if ye plan to stay.”
They just nodded, giving another scan of the two rooms, littered with tables and chairs, before the same footsteps approached the bar.
“I’m looking for an individual I’m planning to meet. Said she could help me with… a job.” Their voice was kept low, inching closer to the woman. Those same green eyes flickered with recognition, and she pulled away slightly, that kind smile replaced with a colder look.
“That’ll cost ye, her service doesnae come free y’know?”
“Yes yes, I know the price.”  A king’s gold was placed down on the bar, which was quickly snatched up, and put to her teeth to bite. Once satisfied, she pocketed the coin.
“That’ll grant ye a meeting aye. Follow me, she’s free now. Crail, look after the bar.” A younger halfling male glanced up from where he was leaning back on a chair and stood to attention, moving to replace the woman.
The hooded individual quickly followed as the lady quickened her pace, stepping through the back. An old human male and a half-orc, a tall muscular brute of a woman , glanced over as the pair entered, and the halfling just shook her head.
“Mind yer business, a don’t pay yi to lollygag now do a?” Which caused the two to get back to work, cleaning dishes and tidying up.
They went further through the back, boxes and crates piled high up, the smell of stew and wood smoke tickling the senses. Before the halfling gave three sharp taps on a thick wooden door ahead of them, almost hidden by the piles of crates and boxes.
“Ma’am, there’s someone to see you. Says you…could help him with a job?”
A pause, two, three. As the pair waited for a response. When it almost seemed as if no one was going to reply, the answer came. A thick accent, like those from the Silver Coast, was heard clearly through the door.
“Let him in Macie, I was expecting his visit.”
The halfling, Macie, seemed to blink slightly, before giving a curt nod to the individual and opened the door for them to step inside.
Unlike the comfort of the tavern, with a friendly warmth that lurked around each of the corners, this room was cold. Fractals of ice and frost covered the oak wood of the walls as confident footsteps pushed passed the tavern keep and into the small chamber.
Bookcases lined the walls, tomes of arcane and mystery, in the languages of multiple races and countries. Sitting between them, behind a magnificent carved desk of sijasabi wood, lined with the sculpting of siolas and marials, sat a creature of otherworldly beauty.
“My lord, you bless me with your presence. It has been a while, since we last spoke on the steps of the Old Arch. Please, take a seat.”
The hood was lowered, revealing short, tight curled hair and the same dark eyes.
“I’ve been thinking, Lady Milre, of the offer you gave.” Long curled fingers tapped quietly on the top of the desk, a nameless tune as icy blue pupilless eyes stared at the elf before her. Just like the walls and floor, fractals of frost covered her skin, a pure snow-white complexion, stretched across. It seemed that little too tight, that little too unnatural.
“I wish to take you up on your offer, I am willing to pay for the job to be done. I know those under your employ are only the best, after all.” The creature nodded, slow and stiff, a curl of a smile gracing the features. Even the lord couldn’t help but flinch back slightly as she reached forward to grasp him.
Though, Milre still managed to clutch his hand, nails scraping down his flesh, soft patterns and fractals started to spread.
“You know the rules young Lord. To make a deal with a fey…”  She began, words soft and careful.
The impatience in his voice grew, with an air of discomfort caused by the situation before him.
“I am aware crone, name your price, it shall be paid.”  Though he didn’t pull away. His words held no heat behind them, he knew he was in her grasp no matter what was said.
“That will come in time. Don’t you worry young master, the job will be done, and payment will come later.”
There was a further slight hesitation in the elf’s features, but it was quickly brushed away, replaced with the same stern expression. A job had to be done, for the plan to go off without an issue.
“Fine, the payment will come later.” The lord agreed, and the grin of the beauty grew impossibly wide, almost tearing at the parchment thin skin draped across bone.
“I appreciate you seeing it my way young lord, I will not disappoint.” As the patterns continued to dance, and shape, and curl up the arm of the man sitting in front of the fey.



© 2024 Foyiwae


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on February 28, 2024
Last Updated on February 28, 2024
Tags: Fantasy, Fiction, Prose, Worldbuilding


Author

Foyiwae
Foyiwae

United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Foyiwae