Barbed Wired Bully

Barbed Wired Bully

A Poem by Frieda P
"

"Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. Bully victims are 9 times more likely to consider suicide."

"
Please take your medicine,
       your darkness is devouring my sight
what were you expecting, 
             i tried to break your fall
long silences and outbursts of pure rancid evil
bones splintered to the core
                           of lunatic's withdrawal
loose cannons of barbed wire wrap around my mind
i woke up yesterday with a tombstone in my eyes
             crushed up glass in my coffee instead of creamer
rolled over to pretend I was still asleep in your head
               no time to waste on being devoured on a thread
staring down the barrel of an intentional plinker 
              sleeping with my own Baretta on lock & load
balancing this bird on a razor wire of slick crystal write
             it's slipping away, was a little too late for cake
power of the darkness is terse & tensely overwhelming
               drowning in the murky waters of past wastelands
there are no wildflower posy's left to be sowed
 still holding on to that final letter of reality to conquer insanity


Recent School Bullying and Cyberbullying Statistics Show That:

  • 1 out of 4 kids are Bullied.
  • 77% of students are bullied mentally, verbally, & physically. Cyberbullying statistics are rapidly approaching similar numbers, with 43% experiencing cyberbullying.
  • Of the 77% of students that said they had been bullied, 14% of those who were bullied said they experienced severe (bad) reactions to the abuse.
  • 1 in 5 students admit to being a bully, or doing some "Bullying."
  • Each day 160,000 students miss school for fear of being bullied.
  • 43% of kids fear harassment in the bathroom at school.
  • 100,000 students carry a gun to school.
  • 28% of youths who carry weapons have witnessed violence at home.
  • 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month.
  • More youth violence occurs on school grounds as opposed to on the way to school.
  • Playground school bullying statistics - Every 7 minutes a child is bullied. Adult intervention - 4%. Peer intervention - 11%. No intervention - 85%.

© 2013 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My Oldest child was bullied and I will probably say that I was bullied by her father and that is why she found it acceptable. she, with a much quieter nature than my own quivered in fear each day and took on the twisted mental state of her boyfriend..the bully-er. She thought if she acted out she could get him help but it consumed her and she got so dark in her own depression I thought I might lose her. She stole, lied, became a cutter..ect ect. she is better now, but never fully recovered from those two years. Thank you Freida for posting this! For letting the statistics be heard! It is SO scary! You did an AMAZING job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I hear you, my father was a bully also, he used to push us around and my mother was scared to death .. read more



Reviews

We live in a sad sad world indeed. This is a great poem that sheds light on a very important topic in our day and age. Great Write Frieda.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Difficult and sad, yes....thanks for your thoughts here DCT.
great message for everybody and as always beautifully written

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Grazie mille Leandro....thanks for reading.
Bullies of every kind should be put in their place. The darkness and depression of being singled out by a bully is beautifully expressed here. This poem is tops Frieda. Loved reading it from first to last line.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Many thanks Divya, always a pleasure to hear your thoughts...
DIVYA

10 Years Ago

:) Welcome Frieda. Pen On Please!
My own children have begged to stay home for fear of being bullied.
I don't understand this world some days...
A fine poetic stand!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

That breaks my heart David & I don't understand this world 'most' days....thanks so much.
You always write with purpose. This is a touching call to action piece, full of sobering facts that should have us all pause and reflect on how to tackle the issue. Well done, Frieda.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Extremely sobering facts, and probably worse than we know, thanks for your kind thoughts here Sera.
Wonderful writing of a sprit-draining experience in life---Poignant Pen!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Spirit draining, exactly! Thanks so much Soul, always a pleasure to see you on my page.
I like the concept of this poem.

I hate the bullies. They're like monsters who try to kill others physically, mentally and emotionally...emphasizing that they are strong and others are weak.

Nice piece. Very relevant.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks Dhaye, we all hate the bullies, the thing is what to do about it, your thoughts are much appr.. read more
It seems that with every leap forward our society makes, some portions take a step backwards...I know someone who nearly lost her daughter to cyber-bullying. It is an absolutely terrible thing what these children will do to each other, and it goes so far beyond just a few unkind words. Certainly a write that deserves recognition for shedding light on a topic more people need to be on the look-out for. If we cannot stand up for those who either can't or won't stand up for themselves, what kind of people are we?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

So true, that's such a reality for many these days, with kids online earlier and earlier, it's a rea.. read more
People do not realize the power and effect of their words... the thing about bullies is they are just insecure people putting others down to give themselves a false sense of esteem... that does not make it right... no doubt they were picked on and are passing it on... hates seems to breed hate.
Anyways your poem is very articulate in expressing the fear someone feels when being subjected to such humiliation.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Yes Dale, hate begets hate, it's a real problem in our society today, thanks for your thoughts.
When I was a kid, bullying was a way of life, you either got bullied or you were the bully. But these days bullying has taken on new meaning. We read about it everyday and I will be honest, in some cases I was the bully and these days I am ashamed of it. Frieda, your poem is truth in creative words. Your poem is life unfortunately. Look around, there are bullies everywhere. Your poem is awesome even on a sad and terrifying topic.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Yes, they are everywhere Jack, and in today's world, children have to deal with online bullying also.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2602 Views
55 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 24, 2013
Tags: online cyberbullying, child abuse, bullies, insanity, evil, bullying, students

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


This Blood This Blood

A Poem by Frieda P