Chapter 2 - Huria

Chapter 2 - Huria

A Chapter by J. Scarlett

Chapter two

 

Huriu

 

 

 

 

            The city streets were teaming with life, the air was full of sound. John leaned down and whispered in her ear. “Don’t let anyone see your face. I have some business to attend to. Meet me by the gate at twelve.” And before she could say anything to protest, he was gone.

                    Megan stood in the middle of the road for some time, not quite sure of what to do. Then her feet decided for her, and she began to walk towards the back streets of Huriu, where Jacob lived.

The back streets are run-down and full of stray cats and dogs. Most of the people there were either ‘crazies’ or else too poor to live in the main city.

“Miss,” A young girl was tugging on her skirt, holding a basket of roses. “Would you care to buy a flower, miss? For just a copper piece?”

Megan smiled “Of course I would. Here, I’ll take this one, and you take this.”

Megan pushed a gold piece into her hand. The girl’s eyes grew wide.

“But, miss…”

Megan put a finger to her lips. “Go on now, and don’t lose that.”

 “Oh I won’t miss, thank you miss!’

Megan tucked the rose behind her ear.

                    Jacob’s house was in the very back of the back streets, where the city ended and the fields began. Megan had not been here since his father had died, four years ago. Jacob always had some excuse to keep her away.

                    Megan saw the horses before she saw the house. They were grazing in the paddock, were they were usually were at this time of day. Jacob was pouring water into the trough. Still looking at the horse he was petting, he said, “Hello, miss. You here to buy a horse?”

“Jacob, it’s me.”

Jacob turned and stared at her. “Megan?”

Megan pulled her hood back a little and grinned at him. “I came for a visit. John helped me out. My father doesn’t know.”

Jacob opened and closed his mouth several times. “Well, um, what do you need?”

Megan walked over to him and petted the horse. “Nothing, really. I just had to get out of that castle.”

“Oh.” For some reason he looked nervous. “Where’d you get that rose?”

“A little girl on the way here.”

“Oh.”

“Have you seen Shannon lately?”

Jacob nearly made her fall as he pulled her off the fence. “No, I haven’t. Just let me go tell Susan. I’ll be right back. Just stay here.”

                    Megan stared after him as he pelted around the corner to his house. It was like he was trying to get her away from it. 

                    Jacob had three younger sisters; Susan, Lisa, and Molly. Susan was the oldest after Jacob, and would take care of the younger ones while he was gone. His mother, Lilly, worked in a dress shop all day.

                    It was not a long walk to the blacksmith’s, and neither of them said anything throughout. When finally they came to the shop, Shannon was standing in the doorway.

                    Shannon was shorter than Megan and a year younger. But the boys had learned very quickly that size doesn’t matter. She was not what you would call pretty, but she didn’t care. Her brown hair had been tied up with a strip of leather, but strands had escaped here and there. Amber eyes narrowed over a long nose that was slightly crooked from beine broken one too many times.

   “And what in hell’s name are you two doin’ here?”

   Megan stared at her. “You knew who I was?” she whispered.

   Shannon rolled her eyes. “You’re too tall to be Susan, and who else would be       with Jacob? Did surprise me, though. Didn’t think you would ever come out of that castle…”

   “Shhhhh! Shannon, be quiet!”

“Oh, right. You’re not supposed to be here.” She chewed on her lip for a second. “Okay, um, my dad’s at lunch. We can use his workroom until he gets back.” 

                    Shannon’s father, as you may have guessed, was a blacksmith. His workroom was filled with the remains of his work; smudged drawings, old tools. And all sorts of other devices that Megan could not fathom a purpose for.

                    Shannon pulled a nail out of the seat of her chair and sat down.

“So? What are you doing here?”

Megan cringed. “John talked me into it.”

Jacob raised an eyebrow. “So you’re just visiting?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

Shannon threw up her arms in frustration. “And here I thought you would have something good to tell us!”

                    The three talked for a long time, Shannon and Jacob telling her about recent events in Huriu, Megan filling them on castle news. It wasn’t until two hours later that she happened to look at the clock; it was five minutes past twelve.

“Oh no! I have to go! I’m late already!” And with a hasty farewell she was running like mad to the gates of Huriu.

                    John was waiting for her there, and without saying a word to each other they both started running to John’s window (the gate had been open so that the guards patrolling Huriu could come in to get the second shift).  John leaped onto the windowsill and held out a hand for Megan. The two of them made it just in time; a whole squad of guards passed under the window just as they tumbled inside.

                    The kitten was yelling loudly at John, as if it were saying How could you leave me? Where were you? Why were you gone so long? I’m hungry!        

Megan ripped off her cloak and through it on John’s bed, then he threw open the door and raced down the hall, leaving the yowling kitten behind.

                    Megan was subject to several dirty looks and sour glances as she pulled out a chair and sat down.

“Megan and John, this the second time you two have been late today! Explain yourselves!”

Megan cringed as her father’s voice rang through the hall.

John glared at him. “I’m sorry, your highness, but some of us have things to do.”

The king’s face turned purple with anger. “Johnathan, you are a disgrace to your kingdom! Out!”

John stood up, slammed his chair back underneath the table, and strode out of the hall. The door slammed behind him.

         

 



© 2008 J. Scarlett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on April 27, 2008


Author

J. Scarlett
J. Scarlett

About
Ms. Scarlett is a high school senior living in the Southwestern United States. She's currently working on one major novel, and writing smaller things in between. Commonly known as "Frivolity" on sev.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by J. Scarlett


Bella Bella

A Story by J. Scarlett