Nourishment

Nourishment

A Story by frorizzle2013
"

A hanging.

"

The sun scorched the ground, smoldering the man’s body as he sat and watched the insatiable crowd. Their eyes feverishly darted at him; the hunger in their eyes was unquestionable as they watched his every movement. Amidst this ferocious audience stood a woman, whose head never rose forward, and never moved away from the ground. She was naturally beautiful, but her posture and attire spoke otherwise: her hair hidden from view, arms crossed defensively, and her stature diminished by the ferocious crowd spoke only of shame. He looked upon her with sorrow as he moved ever so slowly, a feeling of guilt weighing upon his already collapsing shoulders. The crowd continued to yell, to intimidate and dehumanize the man as he inched forward. Behind him, a man�"an instrument�"held his bound hands, pushing and shoving to get him to move faster. He held no sympathy, nor compassion for the man that he was guiding; it was a routine job, and nothing more.

To the unfortunate man’s discontent, they had arrived at the steps. The crowd grew wilder, hungrier, itching for more as he hesitantly ascended the short and ominous steps. The aft man guiding him gave one last shove, causing him to collapse onto the hard wooden floorboard, where fate had forced him to be. The crowd cheered in amusement as they ruthlessly watched him suffer. His pain, his anguish were merely sustenance for their unconventional hunger�"their manic lust. Another man, similar to the other, but wearing a leather mask�"securing his anonymity�"picked him up impatiently, getting him to his feet and holding him there for a few moments as the crowd continued to ridicule the poor soul in amusement. Once more the man scanned the horde, trying to pick out the one he noticed earlier, trying to find the one person who eased his torment. Suddenly he found her, and as before, her eyes remained fixated on the ground, but her head was visible, more so than before. She squeezed her eyes shut, and a tear escaped her eyelid, running down her cheek as the crowd shouted and cursed without quarter; they had been starved for some time.

The masked man brought him towards the center of the platform to which he was confined. He looked over to his right, where an orator hollered and rallied the crowd. He could not make out any specific words or phrases, but knew without question that his condemnation was a central topic. The crowd continued to lavish in their malicious nourishment as he was carefully positioned on the center point. A cold sweat formed on the man’s brow as his heart began beating vehemently. The crowd became ferocious as their hunger increased with every second; their screams and bitterness clouded the man’s thoughts as the masked man took hold of the rope, and placed it around his victim’s neck. Below his feet, the man noticed the thinner layer of wood that attested to his precarious predicament. The orator continued to incite the crowd’s viciousness. His ears rang as the crowd grew louder and louder, as his heart beat faster and faster, as a cold sweat soaked every inch of his body. The masked man approached the lever and held it firmly, and the malnourished audience prepared for the grand finale.

Suddenly, silence befell upon the man; the crowd's ferocity was muted as time slowed to a near pause. Looking out onto his audience, his eyes fell upon her once more. She looked up, her face covered in tears as she gazed into his eyes. Terror and sorrow filled her eyes as she mouthed three simple words to him. Just as suddenly as time had slowed, a rush emerged and the hollers of the crowd shattered the peaceful (albeit momentary) atmosphere. The man attempted to call out to the woman, but as the masked man's stroke fell, the opening hatch beneath him rendered such an option moot. His eyes darted at her as she looked away in sheer horror. He squeezed his eyes shut as he felt himself fall through the platform. The sound of his neck snapping on the sturdy noose silenced the crowd as they watched his body wriggle and convulse. Finally his body, rendered limp, dangled from the rope, which swayed ever so gracefully.

An eerie silence replaced the crowd’s ferocity as they gazed at the otherwise motionless figure�"their mouths inundated with their own saliva. The insatiable horde approached the man steadily, customarily gathering around him in silence as they forcefully maneuvered the nigh lifeless woman towards it. As they moved closer, the orator hummed the ceremonial harmony, and his henchmen laid the docile woman flat on the ground�"her body locked in position by rope. The orator looked to the sky, chanting with great vehemence as the crowd encroached on the two; the hunger in the eyes of each and every one of them, was unquestionable.

© 2012 frorizzle2013


Author's Note

frorizzle2013
I'm kind of a bad writer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

No, considering your age, your grammar and vocabulary usage is nice. Would like to know what has brought the two together in death and how they are connected? Maybe add a paragraph of character development. Why are they here? Who are they?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

frorizzle2013

11 Years Ago

I had considered that, but I enjoyed the ambiguity of it, not knowing who they two are, why fate has.. read more
Also, I didn't realize, but this font apparently makes longer hyphens in like, quotations or some s**t. So if you see, "lolwords", it means --lolwords--

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 23, 2012
Last Updated on September 23, 2012

Author

frorizzle2013
frorizzle2013

ME



About
Where to begin? I'm a teenage writer, who's never taken writing as seriously as he could have. Put simply, I'm very self-critical (especially when it comes to writing) and prone to cynicism and nihili.. more..

Writing