Of Longing and Despair

Of Longing and Despair

A Story by gabby
"

I thought that coming back will bring back what once was mine but instead it washed over me, drowning, until i can no longer breathe.

"

I stare blankly at the white dots spread out on the dark canvas above. Another day has passed, a sinking feeling once again welcoming by me. I look around the old familiar place where once stood my old self, a little puddle of water at my feet reflecting my reflection. Dark circles under my once kaleidoscope eyes, I try to crack a smile, but it quite never reaches my eyes. Staring at me is an older lady, a woman, too mature for her age. The intensity in her eyes, pleading for something. Her longing suddenly start to creep up on me, so I look away.

 

     I walk along the aged street, examining the changes it gone through the past years. The warm hearth opposes the waves of memories soaking me. Noticing a greeting of a familiar smile, I blink. Laughter erupting from our stomachs, a tight embrace, I blink. Hearty conversations, beverage in hand, I blink. Intertwined fingers, wide grins, I blink. I blink once more, everything I once memorized, vanishes before my eyes. It is nothing but ghost of the past tracking me down. I place my hand on my heart and try to calm myself down. Breathe.

 

      Without noticing, my feet walk on the familiar path leading to the stone-colored church. Now standing in front of the grey marble, I let myself break. My loud sobs, silent screaming into my hands, probably have the power to wake the peaceful. All I can do is ask questions even though I know no one will heed to answer. I treat the cold air and the longing pain as my friends. They envelop me in a warm hug.

 

     I thought that coming back will rid of the melancholy. I thought that coming back to what I once called home, will give me what the older lady was longing for because I cannot live with her disillusioned looks and long frowns anymore. I thought I did the right thing, going back, retracing the path I knew because maybe that would have been the way to grasp the old pieces but how stupid of me to jam the pieces that clearly do not fit. Maybe it is really my fault, I came to look for contentment, but here I am, drowning in the hollowness of it all, falling in deeper into the abyss.

 

I had failed to realize that the minute I took the first step away from this place, I was not welcome anymore.

© 2020 gabby


Author's Note

gabby
Hello! i would love to hear your thoughts, comment it down below! <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on October 8, 2020
Last Updated on October 8, 2020
Tags: short story, contemporary, teen, young adult, love, memories, longing, despair, melancholy, raw, emotional

Author

gabby
gabby

Quezon City, Philippines



About
a girl taking on the world with a pen in her hand. more..

Writing
Mosaic Mosaic

A Poem by gabby


Hustisya Hustisya

A Poem by gabby


In Wonder In Wonder

A Poem by gabby