A WORSENING ASSOCIATION

A WORSENING ASSOCIATION

A Story by gaurav
"

A man caught up with himself.

"

Pretending to be asleep, Mannan felt her crawl out of bed. Outside birds were chirping which meant, last night’s rain had stoppedHe wondered if the sun had finally shone through the layers of clouds. He didn’t open his eyes but followed the sound as Suman got ready in the bathroom. Her first act after getting up was splashing cold water on her face was a daily ritual of her. Afterwards she brushed her teeth. The sound of running shower was audible in the living room.

Mannan knew what was to follow he could picture Suman spraying her hair and running her fingers over and over to smooth her hair to a perfect straight and then finally working on her face until it became, just right in her eyes. All the intricacies with which she applied layer over layer of powder which she called, makeup. Manna repeated her words verbatim; it makes me look beautiful. But he deplored it. She thinks she can conceal her emotions under the many layers of cosmetics, Mannan thought. He shifted in the bed but kept pretended to sleep. She forgets that I am a police inspector and catching criminals and extracting truth is my job. He smirked on his thought. The very next moment the know-all smile vanished, or is it an open challenge that our marriage is over and she didn’t give a damn.

Mannan heard the bathroom door opening but kept acting. A strong fragrance of perfume, Charlie, hit his nostrils. He heard her taking the car keys, her mobile and purse, and with that she was off the bedroom door. Mannan kept playing his part and in a moment heard the engine of their fiat come to power. He knew she was gone same just like that; she is least bothered about me. Mannan opened his eyes, I am happy with this scenario.

Mannan looked at his surrounding and wondering what strange place he had woken up into, am I still dreaming.  Looking at his wedding picture adorning the wall made him realize that he was in his bedroom and the woman who left was his wife, Suman.. The thought made him chuckle and with that he got out of the bed and went to take shower.

Our marriage which is five years old was never a happy one, Manna stood in the shower and let the water take away the dirt from his body. I confess initially I was happy, he smiled we moved into this new house. His smiled broadened, Joined police force as an inspector. Mannan closed his eyes and his thought took him to his childhood to the day when one of his father’s friend visited, “what will you become when you grow up son?” uncle asked

“A police inspector” Mannan said and saluted. His father and uncle had a heartily laugh about it. He opened his eyes; my childhood dream had been fulfilled. Mannan’s eyes lit up, Life was looking up he had whatever he wished for, solving cases, catching criminals, and lead murder investigations. He closed the shower and stood in-front of the mirror and lathered his beard and shaved. Mannan rinsed his face, all went downhill from there, and no important cases came his way. He dried himself and exited the bathroom.

Manna put on the uniform adjusting his cap, seniority proved to be a stumbling block.  His seniors got all the important cases, he thought. He went to the kitchen and looking inside the fridge he made a face, I am left with pick pocket, small robberies, and sometimes family disputes. After a small inspection he settled for an omelette and bread.

You become a police inspector when you solve your first murder, he thought. Mannan chopped some green chilies and started to beat eggs. When will I get my first murder? Putting the omelette on low flame he put water to boil for tea. His thought took him back to his childhood to his father and uncle laughing face; I hope I don’t make a fool of myself like they thought. Alas! That murder case eludes him.

Mannan checked the omelette it was reddish he took it on a plate and then filled the tea in a cup. Suman is having an affair, Manna was sure of it as she gave all the signs that she was hiding something from him. Only cheats hide, he thought and took a bite of the omelette. He looked at the wall clock hanging in the kitchen, there is enough time. He sipped the tea and had his breakfast in peace.

 

Manna kicked his Honda motorcycle into life and set out for the police station. The traffic was low as his house was situated in the sparsely populated area of the city. The reason was Manna enjoyed to live in peace away from the hustle and bustle which was reminiscent of life in the city. Although travel took a lot of time but he preferred it, another reason for choosing the place was that it gave him time to think. That was what he was doing, who could interpret these signs more correctly other than me, it’s my job. He smirked; surely I can read my wife accurately of all people.

Manna took a left turn and saw some children dressed in uniform accompanied by their parents waiting for their school bus. He looked at the long road ahead which augured him to move forward. A new thought originated in his head, ours was a childless marriage. He knew they had tried very hard at conceiving a child and in this regard they had visited many doctors. They took every test which the doctors recommended but learned only one thing after these tests, you both are healthy and perfectly fit to have children. Some of their friends had advised patience Suman once forcefully took him to an aujha baba but despite all these efforts disappointment followed. The traffic got heavy as Manna entered the city breaking his chain of thoughts he concentrated on the road ahead with a lingering thought, today is a new day maybe I will get that murder case today.

© 2015 gaurav


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on July 11, 2015
Last Updated on July 11, 2015
Tags: falling relationship, trick of mind

Author

gaurav
gaurav

Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India



About
I am a Post Graduate in Mass Communication with working experience in television and film industry. The ability to write gives me satisfaction. more..

Writing