Go To Your Room

Go To Your Room

A Story by Mari' Emeraude
"

How rudeness has become so sophisticated!

"
Go To Your Room
Years ago, before social media, I tried recalling how grown-ups in our generation handled disagreements. Today, one can argue a point with memes and emojis and even publicly 'shame' a total stranger with the mere push of a button.
It reminded me of the time I went to a neighbor's house for a BBQ. While us kids played on the swing set, the grownups chatted over hot dogs, hamburgers, sodas and alcoholic beverages - those SAME alcoholic beverages that seemed to cause the conversation to intensify in volume and scope...
Two of our neighbors started talking rather loudly. Then one put his finger in the other one's face. As spit flew from his mouth, the other neighbor screamed "you just spit on me!" Both men stood up and postured in the stance of a boxer. As children, we were naturally curious to see where this was going to go. Would Mr. Garza get punched in the nose by Mr. Sands? Would the mothers start shrieking and pulling each other's hair out? Before we could find out, we heard those ever-famous words "kids, go to your rooms." That was the indication that the conversation had crossed the line of politeness, and the fists could start flying at any moment.
...fast forward 50 years:
As I scroll down and read various political pieces, it seems what starts off as an intelligent conversation ends up derailed in a 'train wreck' of flamboyant curse words and insults.
The first guy says his opinion and the next guy comments. This goes back and forth in a sort of not-so-polite tension until about 4 or 5 comments in - (enter THIS guy):
'y'all are stupid idiots!' Your not even in that part of the world."
One of the commenters replies, "It's YOU'RE not YOUR - now whose the idiot?"
A new person joins the conversation: "It's who's NOT whose, your both idiots!"
The first guy that started the conversation now chimes in -"I think you mean YOU'RE not YOUR."
She answers: "**** all you guys! your all unintelijunt"
Who invited this hoe to our conversation?" another one asks.
"**** you, you **** you don't know me!" she snaps.
I've come to the conclusion that the discourteous way in which humans treat each other hasn't changed, only the method in which we convey it. Now if you'll excuse me - I think I'll go to my room.

© 2024 Mari' Emeraude


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I wholeheartedly concur. I'll just stay in my curmudgeon's cave and look out the window at the squirrels. Humans are scary. I believe if one hasn't the courtesy to remain polite in civil conversation on any topic one should abstain from the topic altogether. I feel the same about the alcohol. Some people need a hat that says. "Instant A*****e: Just add alcohol." I'm not a prude and I used to imbibe but had to give up that particular vice for my health. I don't condemn others for drinking but it's difficult to ignore rude behavior whether alcohol induced or not. I enjoyed your story. As Kipling noted in The Elephant's Child (A favorite story of my children and grandchildren) "Some people just do not know what is good for them."

Posted 2 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I wholeheartedly concur. I'll just stay in my curmudgeon's cave and look out the window at the squirrels. Humans are scary. I believe if one hasn't the courtesy to remain polite in civil conversation on any topic one should abstain from the topic altogether. I feel the same about the alcohol. Some people need a hat that says. "Instant A*****e: Just add alcohol." I'm not a prude and I used to imbibe but had to give up that particular vice for my health. I don't condemn others for drinking but it's difficult to ignore rude behavior whether alcohol induced or not. I enjoyed your story. As Kipling noted in The Elephant's Child (A favorite story of my children and grandchildren) "Some people just do not know what is good for them."

Posted 2 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great ending! 'Has put the entire melodrama to bed! Strange how adults can behave so childishly but are not sent to bed by the littlies! Fine story telling but truthful story-telling. Some people have no idea how to behave although they think they have - making things even more childish!

Posted 2 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 27, 2024
Last Updated on February 27, 2024
Tags: humor

Author

Mari' Emeraude
Mari' Emeraude

Denver, CO



About
I am a writer, journalist, and poet from Denver, Co who remarks on my fulfilling life in rich, poetic (and sometimes humorous) ways. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


One One

A Poem by John the Baptist