Chapter 5 (Lítið Fólk)

Chapter 5 (Lítið Fólk)

A Chapter by Mar Nathansson
"

*This chapter contains a mild scene involving sexual harassment.* Marel and Annette leave sooner than expected.

"

After dinner Annette decided she wanted to stay. Seeing as I wasn’t in too much of a rush to leave, I told her I thought it was an excellent idea. I laid down on the couch, intending to take a comfortable little nap before I inevitably had to go back to the cold lot behind the old school. Everything was quiet and peaceful where I was lying, and I was getting so close to falling asleep, but was interrupted when someone walked over, moved my legs, and sat down on the couch.

I opened my eyes and was looking directly into Reinar’s. I glared at him, hoping he would take the hint and leave me alone.

“You didn’t talk much at dinner,” he said. I sighed. Clearly I had the worst luck in the world. “What’s your name again?”

At first I refused to participate in the conversation - but the longer he stared at me, waiting for my response, the more uncomfortable I felt. I figured that if I responded, he might leave sooner.

“Marel.”

Reinar smiled at me and placed a hand on my knee. I didn’t understand why at the time; I was just praying that this would be the end of our acquaintanceship.

“That’s a nice name.”

I was about to excuse myself to find Annette and Gréta, who I could faintly hear laughing in the other room, when Reinar pulled me closer to him by my pant leg. I lowered my eyes at him and shoved him away from me. I got up from the couch and went back into the kitchen. He followed me.

“Could you please f**k off?” I asked him. He grabbed me by my shirt and turned me around to look at him. If he hadn’t been holding onto me so roughly, I might have just walked to the back of the house - where there were witnesses. He wasn’t even that strong, but he intimidated me. I didn’t think he would hit me, but I didn’t want to take any chances.

“You can’t tell me you don’t think I’m attractive,” he said. I shook my head, confused. That wasn’t what I was expecting to hear. In retrospect, it made complete sense along with the context of the body language he had been displaying toward me.

I scoffed and backed away from him as far as I could. “Who do you think I am?” I knew it sounded a bit pretentious, but I couldn’t have someone believe something about me that wasn’t true. Especially someone as predatory as Reinar.

He smiled at me, and I physically recoiled when he stepped closer to me. “Please - I know one when I see one.”

“Know what?”

There were footsteps down the hall; Reinar let go of me and backed away toward the wall opposite where I was standing. Gréta and Annette appeared, happiness painted on their faces. I knew my skin must have been extremely pale, and I recall that my breathing was much faster and deeper than normal.

“Is everything going alright in here?” Gréta asked. Her voice was soft and polite as ever, but I could tell she was suspicious. Reinar nodded, but I just sighed and pushed myself away from the wall.

I sat waiting for only a few minutes on the front steps of Gréta’s house for Annette to come after me. My shoulders tensed when the door opened - but soon Annette was standing in front of me with her hand out. I took it and she helped me up.

“You good?” she asked, and I nodded. We walked in comfortable silence back to her house, with only the sounds of the few cars in the street and the strong gusts of wind to stimulate us.

I saw Magnus looking at me through the window when we arrived at Annette’s house. I smiled at him and he returned it. He stood up from where he had been sitting and ran away, presumably to tell Lárus and Stefan I was back.

“Think your parents will let me stay the night?” I asked, despite already knowing the answer. Annette gave me an empathetic smile and squeezed my shoulder.

We stood outside for a few more seconds before the door opened, revealing Magnus, Lárus, and little Stefan, who was wearing his big, brand new puffy coat.




© 2018 Mar Nathansson


Author's Note

Mar Nathansson
This one is quite short too. I didn't want the scene too last any longer than it did, and I think I'm happy with where I ended it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on February 14, 2018
Last Updated on February 14, 2018


Author

Mar Nathansson
Mar Nathansson

Hafnarfjorthur, Iceland



About
Age: 17 Birthday: January 12 Location: Iceland Hobbies: Writing, reading, diving headfirst into crowds of gay bikers. Favorite noveling music: Music I listen to while writing? ELO and only ELO. If.. more..

Writing