Terminal

Terminal

A Poem by G. K. Bostic

The patient

lies

upon the bed

in darkness

empty and alone.

 

The nurse is

checking charts

and

will not see

her slowing breaths.

 

Then silence comes

as

heartbeat stops

its work.

© 2011 G. K. Bostic


Author's Note

G. K. Bostic
I wrote this as an exercise from the book Talking Back to Poems. The poem it "talks back to" is "The Cold Room" by Yvor Winters.
*********************************
I am adding a note - I hope no one interpreted this poem as derogatory toward the nursing profession. My sister was a nurse in the intensive care nursery until her retirement a few years ago, and I know the dedication of most in that noble profession. I know that my sister suffered a terrible loss whenever they lost one of those precious babies. I could not have done it.
When she did retire, it was in large part due to the "clerical" part of her job!
***********************
My thoughts when writing this poem were more about the aloneness of death.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is a nice view of those moments between care taker and patient...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this. And I agree, even if surrounded by family we die alone.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ron
Yes I do like this G.K. Sums up modern hospital and caring institutions a treat. Very penetrating work. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good write, alive one minute gone the next, death can be that quick!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think the poem is very good, and sad, I like the flow!
Then silence comes
as
hearbeat stops
its work.
I love that part!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Poignantly said love and familiar!
Concise and yet deep, saddening and yet a fact!
Great poem love
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


Praise: I love it. I am fascinated by the mystery of what comes after life, and how bluntly it seems to be taken from us.

Criticism: The ending seems abrupt and out of place. I suggest rephrasing.

Overall, great work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think I have to agree with OT.. definitely not a piece that you could express with a rhyming scheme. Sometimes the most difficult sentiments are written with the simplest words, structure or meter.. Well done conveying your thoughts..

Posted 13 Years Ago


written with somber poetic grace

Posted 13 Years Ago


I've known a few nurses in my time and unfortunately, this is the reality of the life. The sting of death on a watch never goes away, because..well, they're not heartless monsters.
But when you deal in death, it does become part of the job like coffee breaks, watercooler antics and paperwork f**k ups.
I like how it can be read as the heartbeat stops its work"
or the heart beats stops. It's work" even with the playing of punctuation, its still an interesting dual reading.

Another Instant winner by the GKB train

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

531 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2011
Last Updated on January 21, 2011
Tags: Poem, death

Author

G. K. Bostic
G. K. Bostic

PA



About
Retired Special Education Teacher & Supervisor, Writer of poetry and Nanowrimo novel, wife, mother, grandmother, and lover of country. I can be found at www.gkbostic.com Update: Since I wrote this .. more..

Writing
Unseen Unseen

A Poem by G. K. Bostic



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..