The Man On The Moon

The Man On The Moon

A Story by Rohit Yadav
"

A story of an astronaut, taking a stroll through the alley of his beautiful memories.

"

The view was mesmerising from where he was standing. She would have definitely loved it, he thought. She had always loved the serenity and peacefulness of the neighbourhood, away from the hustle-bustle of the cities and for sure it was a place thousands of miles away from any city. All that the family of two ever had was a dream to walk the moon together. And now he was there, living the dream for both of them. He knew she must be waiting for him, her wait was over now.

                    He started assembling words to express to her all those feelings he had experienced, how the heartbeat races against the growling apogee engine, how it feels to weigh a sixth of your actual weight, and how clear and blue the earth looks from there, everything she had craved for. He looked at the opposite side, away from the earth and into the pitch black darkness, which reminded him of her eyes. The perfectly shaped wide eyes, black at the core. Her eyes were the only thing that calmed him down in any situation. He was calm, so calm that he was staring the death directly into its eyes.

                    He sat down against the broken pieces of the single pilot pod that brought him down from the shuttle to the obscure land. The destroyed transmitter made sure that the shuttle won’t find him. He checked his status panel attached to his suit which indicated red level against the oxygen indicator. He had nothing more than 5-6 minutes but still, his eyes had a peculiar tranquillity. He decided instantly that he won’t suffocate, all that was to be done was to puncture the suit and end it in a few seconds.

                    Without his consent, tears started brimming his eyes. The only face that danced in front of his vision was hers. All the moments of that last night together were vividly etched on the surface of his memory, which was now as damp as the surface of that obscure land. Dancing so close to her, he could see his own reflection in her sparkling eyes. The Celebration was big and so was the occasion. The list of the onboard crew members for the Moon Mission had two familiar names on it. It would have been nothing less than cheating if they hadn’t celebrated it.

                    The hard liquid finally started kicking in, making the moment even more amatorial. But they were still in their senses, or at least until that last round. His vision was a little blurry but he thought it was under control and so in a jiffy, he made the worst decision of his life. The long drive, the miles stretching in front of them and the love talks would have been a great end of the night, but the ink stain on the best chapter of their fates was much darker than the ghastly night. The Gods (if only he believed in one) conspired against him and stripped him off of his most beloved belonging and didn’t even allow him to shed a tear for her from his eyes by taking away his eyes too.

                    The time was running out, but not his patience. Such kind of patience wasn’t his characteristic. She must have come to take him away with her. He could almost sense her presence. Even when the closest living being was thousands of miles away, he never felt lonely. Instead, it felt like he had a kind of secrecy with her and that no one can take her away from him. He felt as if the purpose of his life was complete and now he could rest in peace. As he punctured his suit, the last words that resounded in his mind were those of the doctor who repeated her last words, “Let him see the world from my eyes.”

© 2017 Rohit Yadav


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so emotional! I love it! You have great vocabulary and writing skills! Keep it up!

I have some feedback. Maybe instead of telling, you can show. For example, try describing what lonely is in words instead of saying it.
Ex.) Tears flashed down my eyes. My heart pounded in the vacant room.

Great job once again!



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rohit Yadav

7 Years Ago

thank you so much for your valuable review. I am surely gonna work on the parts highlighted by you.



Reviews

This is so emotional! I love it! You have great vocabulary and writing skills! Keep it up!

I have some feedback. Maybe instead of telling, you can show. For example, try describing what lonely is in words instead of saying it.
Ex.) Tears flashed down my eyes. My heart pounded in the vacant room.

Great job once again!



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rohit Yadav

7 Years Ago

thank you so much for your valuable review. I am surely gonna work on the parts highlighted by you.
This is such an intriguing and emotional story! My heartbeat increased with every paragraph as I read on. These are the signs of a true writer I guess. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 24, 2017
Last Updated on February 24, 2017
Tags: Romantic, Drama, Sci-fi

Author

Rohit Yadav
Rohit Yadav

Ghaziabad, NCR, India



About
I am really a novice in the field of writing but I genuinely feel it's my calling, and so here is "THE BEGINNING OF THE LATEST CHAPTER". more..

Writing