A Father's Love

A Father's Love

A Poem by From the Heart

You say you know me, that I am just like you.

"We are both deep-thinkers, smart and passionate" He says, only he is drunk.

I nod and keep silent, for those things might be true.

 

He yells, I stay silent...

 

For he believes that I am disrespectful.

Only he is a hypocrite, like a catholic preist who has not read the bible.

He will go on, and on repeating the same sentences... That he thinks show disrespect.

Although, the last time I checked, cursing and emotional abuse were both signs of disrespect towards me.

 

"The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open."

 

His mind is closed. Shut like a door, un-willing to listen.

 

I tell him time and time again, that I am uphappy being in his house.

Yet, he traps me.

I am stuck in his vortex of disbelief and unruly anger.

He keeps sucking me back in, every time I try to break free.

 

He frustrates me to the point of no return,

Where I find the biggest difference between us.

Restraint.

No matter what he says, I will never talk back to him.

It is not worth it, nor is it respectful in any way.

 

If he could only see what his actions have caused.

No child should have to go to bed, or wake up crying on their birthday.

But, maybe thats his way of showing me that life isn't so happy.

 

Well, Happy f**king 18th Birthday to me!!!

Thanks, dad for making this birthday so f**king special.

I love you too!

© 2009 From the Heart


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

No. You do write with passion, You honor yourself by saying the things that need to be said. Your style is one of a kind and I love your expression"If he could only see what his actions have caused.

No child should have to go to bed, or wake up crying on their birthday.

But, maybe thats his way of showing me that life isn't so happy."
I have to tell you that I have re-evaulated my relationship with my girls, and want to thank you for sharing something so close to your heart...Awesome poem...


Posted 14 Years Ago


If you feel like cursing, curse. Put your heart into that curse! But whatever you write, put your heart into it. Don't tiptoe around scared of what others might think. No writer worth his/her salt would ever do such a thing. I know. You are trying to be polite and dignified and restrained. But there is another saying that goes, "The squeaking wheel gets the grease". Make yourself heard if you have to yell! But...it's far better to speak softly and intelligently but with axioms impossible to deny; as you did so well in the beginning of this piece. A good writer has the power to make their argument "felt" without being heard. Fiction writers have a saying of "Show, don't tell" for instance, instead of saying "He was sad and disappointed" one might write,(A soft sigh escaped his lips as his eyes stared blankly at the floor.Tiny droplets splashed there; staining every future hope he dared to dream.) Yeah, that's kind of cornball but you get the idea. So much for structure. Now, for content, this is sad and it makes me angry because you obviously love your dad but he seems oblivious to his great impact on your thinking and your feelings. The meaning of life is the meaning you give it. Those who claim life is meaningless have themselves to blame. That is called "responsibility". Love is NOT sweet words and gentle kisses (although those things may play a part as well) Love is equal parts responsibilty, sacrifice and hard work. But whoever heard of anyone wanting to "fall in" responsibilty, sacrifice and hard work? (laughing). Forgive your father and find your own meaning. In doing so you will give your life purpose. Your love of "creating" is the image of the God to which you should pray. God is love and love is responsible. Love is willing to sacrifice. Love works tirelessly for your happiness. Just some thoughts from an old guy with a 25 year old daughter of his own that thinks he's a pretty good dad. (hugs) Incidently, my daughter is a journalism graduate of Appalachian State University and she has traveled Europe and Africa in her studies. She now does freelance and works writing articles for various magazines as well as being a part time receptionist at a world class spa. Dad is pretty proud of her. (smiles)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 29, 2009
Last Updated on December 29, 2009

Author

From the Heart
From the Heart

winnipeg, Canada



About
Ive been writing for the past 7-8 years. I write as a way to cope, and release emotions that distract me from real life. I just recently graduated highschool from Glenlawn Collegiate. In my graduating.. more..

Writing