The undiscovered kinds of silk

The undiscovered kinds of silk

A Story by geosch
"

Silk is a well known and exclusiv fabric. Since thousand of years is the silk cloth produced in asia. Therefore the famous material has left his mark over the history of mankind in different ways.

"

Silk is a well known and exclusiv fabric. Since thousand of years is the silk cloth produced in asia. Therefore the famous material has left his mark over the history of mankind in different ways. One example of that fame is the silk road, which became its name for the most important fabric transported on the route: Silk. 


The brilliance and the strength of its colors are main reasons for the popularity of the silk fabric. The fact that silk does not wrinkle and  the protection  from chilly weather helped  the cloth to fame as well.


The vogue and the long history have not only concluded in different usage of silk, for example as  silk scarf or silk shirts, but it has also led to many different kinds of silk.

A few of the most well-known kinds of silk are described in the following:


1. Schappe silk:

The silk threads, used for the production of schappe silk, derive from the outer film of the silkmoth-cocoon.

The yarn of this kind of silk are characterized by a light brilliance and a smooth and even surface.


2. Coarse silk:

In the course of silk production the coarse silk is also put out. This kind of silk has a raspy surface and is mostly seen as silk waste because of its little use for the fashion industry. But this kind of silk can still be used in diapers, to name one product.


3. Filament or net silk

The net silk is extracted from the inner parts of the silk moth cocoon. The extracted yarn is of high value and can be gathered reeling of the silk thread, which reaches a length of a few hundred meters. This kind of silk does not require any kind of further treatment, because of its high quality. Therefore the net silk yarn can be easily used for the production of the high quality final product like silk scarves without washing or treating the yarn in between. 


4. Atlas moth silk

Like the name suggests this kind of silk can be extracted of the atlas moth, which is the biggest butterfly known to mankind. The yarn produced by the atlas moth are short and brownish. This kind of silk is known for the thickness of the cloth furthermore. The atlas moth emits more than one thread but a few dozen which are much shorter than the thread of the common silk moth. This makes the atlas moth silk much more difficult to extract. Because of the reasons outlined the atlas moth silk is not as popular as the net silk.


5. Tussah silk

The oak silk moth can be found in asia and europe as well. The oak silk moth was imported to europe for the silk production and has become a native butterfly in europe since. The silk extracted from the oak silk moth is characterized by a golden-yellowish colour. Furthermore this kind of  silk has quite a raw and raspy surface. Therefore it is not that much used in the fashion industry.


The advantages of the silk cloth are best experienced in the most famous silk scarves (

© 2015 geosch


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Author

geosch
geosch

Frankfurt am Main, Hessen, Germany



About
Our blog informs about the process of producing silk and the people involved in this handicraft. We also provide useful styling tips. more..

Writing