The life of a silk worm

The life of a silk worm

A Story by geosch
"

The whole circle of silk production - From worm to silk scarf described in detail.

"

In Thailand silk weaving is a hallmark handicraft of the villages in the northeast of the country, called Isarn.

Even in the now globalized world the silk weaving handicraft can still be found in those rural communities.

Today it is more widespread than ever because of the fame to which the thai silk has risen. You can find more

about the way to fame of the thai silk here.


This article focuses on the production circle a silk scarf ( has to go through before the final product is good to go.

The thai silk worms are stored in flat baskets made of bamboo trays. The hungry worms need feeding more than one time a day. Therefore mulberry pickers have to handpick the leaves to get fresh food for the hungry worms.

The baskets in which the worms are stored have to be wrapped in cotton because the worms are valuable and

need protection of other insects.

After 24 days of feeding the silk worm raises its head and starts to build a cocoon. This is the right time to start

 milking the silk.

The silk worms are carefully removed from the baskets and thrown in a pot of boiled water. When the silk worm is swimming in the boiled water the silk yarn can be extracted by the silk weaver.

The silk weaver has to be very cautious about combining the silk thread from many worms to one thick yarn.

Every cocoon of the thai silk worm consists of many silk yarns, which add up to a few hundred meters in total.

A special wooden device is used to locate the ends of the silk threads so that the silk weaver can produce the

thai silk


This work not only takes a lot of skill and experience but also sweat because to work is done above a pot of boiled water in the hot thai weather.

The extracted silk yarns are now ready to take a bath and afterwards the are colored with bleach. The silk yarn of the traditional thai silk worm is golden.


After the washing and coloring the silk gets dried in the thai sun.

Now the dry silk is fixed on spinning reels, which is traditionally done with a spinning wheel.

Those spinning reels are placed in the weaving loom to form the silk pieces. On the weaving loom a mostly

female worker lets the weaving ship fly from one end to the other and has to kick the food pedals accordingly.

To execute this process correctly the silk weaver has to use his hands and feet in perfect rhythm to form a

smooth and even silk piece.


Traditionally thai houses are built on sticks to prevent the house of flooding and to let the air circulate better.

The handicraft of silk weaving is mostly done by women in the free space under the house. If you should find

 yourself in a thai silk village look out for signs of the weaving handicraft like looms. You can get lucky and buy a silk scarf ( directly from the villagers at the production place.

© 2015 geosch


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats


Author

geosch
geosch

Frankfurt am Main, Hessen, Germany



About
Our blog informs about the process of producing silk and the people involved in this handicraft. We also provide useful styling tips. more..

Writing