Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Phoenix: I want to live forever

Phoenix: I want to live forever

A Story by Gerica de la Cruz
"

My first short story written on 25 November to 7 December 2010.

"

PROLOGUE


In Ancient Greece, Phyllis was the only kingdom separated from the mainland; the kingdom was ruled by King Platon and Queen Lystra. It was just three miles far from the kingdom of Evania but never was there a connection, no one thought of an alliance. The Greeks believed that the Phyllisians were sinners�" Zeus the god of all gods, who was disgrace of their existence, separated their kingdom from the entire Greece�" they were evil, they had the soul of a devil. Between these kingdoms�" a small island was situated, typically it’s a forest and in the middle there was a tower. No human exist there, it was all wild animals, not a single man used to step in its land and the reason�" nobody knows.

Evania was ruled by King Tycho and his consort, Eranthe�" they had a daughter named Arista. She’s pretty, kind and intelligent but so unfortunate to be betrothed to someone she never knew. As the princess turns sixteen, she became more curious in the look and personality of her future husband. There were many questions in her mind. “Would he be handsome? Would he be nice or rude? Is he good in horseback riding? Is he someone perfect for me?” For days she’d been thinking, making paintings of man’s faces. But one night of a full moon she gets tired of it�" finally made-up her mind that it’s better to wait than to waste her time guessing the face of her groom. She went to the balcony for fresh air from there she sees the moon beams that touches the water.

Arista escaped the palace guards and runs through the shore with her harp�" no need for a lamp to light her way for the moon is bright enough. She rides the boat and went a little farther�" she plays her instrument and sings. “Singing warms my heart; it relieves my stress, sadness and worries. Singing is my way of expressing me.” While the princess was singing a sound of a flute coming from the small island catches her attention and because she was a curious person�" she bravely row her boat to the island and follows the sound. It takes her in the center, she climbs the tower and saw a man�" who is wearing armor and the princess recognized that he was a Phyllisian. The man felt her presence and he stopped blowing his flute and looked at her�" Arista had been shocked as he looks, she was scared. She runs downstairs and the Phyllisian follows her, trying to stop her. Arista was chased by a group of hungry wolves and gets her leg injured; she was saved by the Phyllisian. At first she was so scared but as she looks in his eyes�" she sees that there is nothing to fear. The Phyllisian carries her back into the tower and cures her wound.

The Phyllisian was Kosmo, a general. Arista and he gets to know each other and shared thoughts, stories and experiences. Knowing him changes Arista’s beliefs and when farewell time came�" only one question came out their mouths. “Will I see you again?” For a very short time they were able to know each other, they somehow felt connected�" it was the first time that a Phyllisian and an Evanian had met. They promised to see each other on the same time and at the same place. For six days they always gather in the island�" talking about each other, their problems, they sing and watch the moon as it floats gently in the sky.

Arista’s most awaited day came, she was about to meet the man she’d been waiting to know, the man she was about to marry�" Prince Melancton of Philomena. Melancton had already fallen for the princess while Arista felt nothing more than friendship, all the time Kosmo was in her mind�" she can’t wait to see him again. Night falls and the princess sneaks out the palace again to meet Kosmo. She told him about Melancton and her planned marriage. As Kosmo hears it his smiles vanished.

“Do you really want to love him?” he asked. “I… don’t know.” “Very well, never say that you want to love him for love never came by your own will�" it comes very unexpectedly.” He played a very relaxing tune with his flute to remove the princess’ worries. Arista felt comfortable, free from worries when she was with Kosmo�" things were easier with him. All night they sing and talk, trying to forget that there are things to handle back there until it’s time to say goodbye again. Arista looked at the island as she was rowing away. “What if I never return to Evania and stay here, will life be easier?”

Kosmo confessed his love to Arista. “Arista, this shall be our last meeting.” “Why should it be?” “It’s because… because you’re going to be married and… Arista for these past days you’re always in my mind,” he said. “Sometimes I don’t want the sun to shine so that we’ll be together�" if only I can stop it I’ll do, because I… I love you and I always wanted to be there by your side,” he said. Arista’s world seems to stop, Kosmo runs away with a heavy feeling inside, she wanted to follow him but she can’t move her feet�" then she realized that tears fell down her face. The princess went back to the palace, she cried non-stop and feels pain in her heart. “There will be no one to listen to my worries and problems, no one will play and sing with me.” Two days passed and the princess never leaves her chamber, Queen Eranthe grows concern on her situation and visits her�" she sees her daughter at the balcony looking somewhere far. The queen walks towards her and she asked. “Mother, what is love?” “Love… Love is when you feel amenity with him�" when all your anxiety vanished because of him. Love is when time is too short for the both of you to spend it together and too long when you didn’t meet him. Love is doing everything for the one you love and most of all, love is trust�" no matter what they say you’ll still believe him.” Each word her mother said reminds her of Kosmo. She smiles again, gets her hood and give her mother thanks�" runs through the shore and by a boat she’ll travel to Phyllis with no doubt. She looks for Kosmo and when they met, Kosmo tries to run again but she hugs him tightly, “I just want to tell you that the day you said goodbye it makes my heart breaks, my world seems to be incomplete at first I don’t know why I’m hurt so much but now I know, everything’s clear to me now�" I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you and I don’t want to lose you again.” That day on, they’d promised to fight for their love whatever it takes.

The whole palace was shocked when they knew that the princess was pregnant. Prince Melancton who was enraged volunteered to capture the traitor and they learned that it was a Phyllisian. Arista becomes a disgrace on her family. At dawn the Evanians attacked Phyllis and as King Platon receives the watchers’ message he directly ordered his warriors to ready their weapons for the kingdom’s defense. Kosmo tells the king about his affair with the princess and decided to surrender but the king disagrees. The general didn’t know about Arista’s pregnancy. The Evanian Invasion lasted for three days and on the third day, Queen Lystra gave birth while the Evanians were invading the palace. She gave birth to a girl she called Gerica. But the child isn’t safe in the palace so that a servant escaped it and takes it to Evania.

The war ended that day and Evania wins victory�" there were Phyllisians captured one of them was Kosmo but the king and queen were missing. Arista visited him at his cell. “I am so thankful to the gods that they gave you to me even it was just for a very short time. I always dreamed of us together though I know it can’t be. I never regret the day I’d met you, the moment my heart beats your name. I’ve done the right choice not to let you go because if I did my life would be so worthless�" so live for me,” he said. “But I can’t… I need you.” “I know, just remember that you may not hear me, or even see me but I’ll be always there with you�"singing, laughing. Just whisper your worries and I’ll be there to listen, I’ll never leave you.” Melancton came and gets him, Arista begs him but the prince slay Kosmo at her front. The princess faints and once she woke up�" all she did is to shed tears. Other Phyllisians were killed while other became slaves.

Sooner Arista and Melancton marry, Phyllis and the small island became a part of Evania�" a bridge was built as Prince Melancton ordered, all trees in the small island were cut down and all animals were killed�" the tower remains, the small island was called as Arista’s island. He let it remains not because he’s guilty on killing Kosmo but because he wanted Arista to remember Kosmo and the pains she felt with him. The princess gave birth to a boy and named him Otis.

 


Fotini, an ordinary woman of the middle class was married to Rasmus�" a teacher and known as the Master of Wars. For five years of marriage they weren’t able to produce a child. Everyday Fotini prays to Hera to bless them just one child. During the Evanian Invasion to the kingdom of Phyllis they found a baby girl outside their house which was at that west shore of Evania. They had pity on her and take her inside; Fotini feeds her with goat milk and waited for someone in search of a baby but no one did. So they thought that she was abandoned and that she was the answer to their prayers. The couple decided to keep her and named her Geng. They treated and loved her like their very own daughter. A month after the war, Queen Erathne gives birth to a future king she called Eryx.

Fourteen years had passed, Rasmus was chosen by King Tycho to be Prince Eryx’s royal teacher and he was so honored to do it. It was his first time to enter the palace, Prince Eryx wasn’t his only student as he expected�" he’ll also be teaching the prince’s cousin and nephew. Geng who was now a young woman becomes interested in learning the skills of a warrior, she asked her father but he refuses. “You are so grateful to teach the prince though he isn’t your son while, I your own daughter, asking for your teachings had been rejected by you�" it is so unfair.” Geng runs and locks herself in her room.

Fotini tries to persuade her husband about her daughter’s request. “Your daughter isn’t fond of being bound inside this house, she likes adventure. I’d taught her so many things, now it is your turn to do the same. Teach her and who knows she may acquire your own skills and you’ll be proud of her.” Rasmus never wanted Geng to be involved in acts of harm and killing but he wanted his daughter’s contentment so he finally he came out into a decision to train her daughter together with the prince.

Rasmus introduced her daughter to the king and asked for his permission. Tycho finds it as a good idea. Geng was so grateful to hear the king’s decision and been excited to meet new people. Princess Diarria of Rizpah was Prince Eryx’s cousin; she’s friendly and so much approachable while Otis was the only son of Arista for she never bears any child of Melancton, it is a miracle that Tycho accepts him as his grandson. Otis was the most serious man Geng ever knew. Prince Eryx, the crown prince of Evanian�" everybody wants him and everybody loves him for his appealing features. Geng becomes the shy and silent one. Rasmus taught them swordsmanship, archery, ship propulsion, horseback and chariot riding and different war tactics. Teamwork and friendship was developed between them.

Months and months passed, Geng started to admire Prince Eryx though he was self-centered, always too proud of himself every time he did great but every time Geng does better than him he praised her by sarcastically saying, “You’re too boastful.” Sometimes the prince asked her questions, favors�" “How to do that? Can you please teach me?” Geng was the one he runs to when he needs help. After two years, Eros started on shooting his arrows on the youths’ hearts. Princess Diarria who’d become Geng’s best friend, had a secret special love for Otis but he used to ignore her most of the time.

One day at the palace garden, Eryx challenges Geng, “If you are really good, fight me and defeat by sword.” Geng accepts his dare. Otis and Diarria watch them�" while they were fighting Eryx fell down on her and as he raises his head�" their faces becomes close to each other. Geng hears nothing but only the fast beating of her heart. Geng’s cheeks turn red. She stares at him; the prince stands up and reaches for her hand, “Are you okay?” she rise on her own and walked out hastily�" she felt embarrassed but there’s something more, something that she never felt before. Geng passed through a pond and looked at her reflection, “Why am I blushing? He’s face, he’s eyes… it was pretty… but I should forget it!”

For days she was distracted by the thoughts of Eryx, she can’t sleep every night because of thinking and great confusion. There were butterflies in her stomach every time Eryx talks to him; she can’t even look at his eyes directly. There were times she stares at him unconsciously with a smiling face. Everything reminds her of the prince. She wants to do everyting for him; she feels so much happiness every time she helps Eryx and asks nothing in return. Geng shared it to Diarria, “I see every symptoms of love within you, why don’t you think deeply and recall everything that happens between the both of you�" and sooner the word ‘love’ will just pop in mind.” That night while she was lying on her bed, she writes down each moment that she has with Eryx�" dreams or reality, and everything she feels with him. As she did it, she was smiling, laughing and blushing, “It feels so good to remember those days and so good to be with him�" how would forever be with Prince Eryx?” She was shocked on her question and then she realized that it’s true, she does love the prince. Geng told it to Diarria and sooner the prince discovered it. She becomes happier and more inspired in doing things better. Accepting the truth sets her free from those confusing questions. Love is the greatest feeling anyone could ever feel, love is all happiness and falling in love is such a wonderful thing.

Four years had passed and training years were over. Otis was considered the best among all of them while Princess Diarria becomes good at horseback and chariot riding. Prince Eryx developed a great skill in handling swords and Geng becomes an expert in archery for her eagle eye. Because of their skills and the friendship they had, King Tycho decided to make them as Prince Eryx’s royal companions and protectors�" he trusted them with Eryx’s safety. After they were held by the king a banquet was prepared for them. Prince Eryx and his companions see each other at Arista’s Island. They get to know each other, together they hunt and laugh, share stories to one another�" their friendship becomes stronger, Otis and Diarria becomes the most intimate companion of the prince while Geng remains unclose with him.

One day as they were walking at the village they met Sophronia�" the most beautiful and most intelligent woman in Evania, she is a daughter of a famous poet. It was just five days when they migrated from Athens to Evania and everyone admires her for she was like a princess�" always wearing long beautiful dresses and precious gems. She had many suitors and Prince Eryx fell for her and courted her too. Among all her suitors, Prince Eryx becomes her closest friend. He invites her into a royal gathering as well as his companions. There Geng was able to meet kings and queens from different kingdoms. But the beauty and elegancy of those royalties were nothing to Sophronia’s�" she became the center of attention that night. Prince Eryx takes her into the garden and together they looked at the starry sky�" and the prince spotted a shooting star, “I’ll make a wish.” He closed his eyes and been silent. “What did you wish for?” Sophronia asked as he opens his eyes. “I wished that I’ll be with you forever.”

Geng was walking outside when she heard Sophronia, “What do you think about Geng? She likes you, am I right?” She hides on bush, watch and listen to them. “Yes. She’s a very good friend but I don’t care if she likes me�" there’s no way I could like her too and I wished she isn’t hoping for that, you know that you are the only one who holds my heart.” “You shouldn’t be saying that�" she is a nice girl, there are so many possibilities.” “Yes she is but she’s too different from you�" you’re prettier, you’re smarter, you are so perfect.” Eryx holds her hand tightly. Gradually Geng feels sad so she immediately leaves the palace. Each words echoes in her ears and pierces her heart, she looks at the moon from her window. “Yes! She is Miss Perfect I know that she’s better than me in every way. She has everything�" wealth, beauty and intelligence and… and even his love,” she said. “I was so wrong, love isn’t all happiness�" I wished I never knew it and I wished I never fell for him. I hate this feeling; I hope it would just go away.” While she was lying on her bed, she covers her face with a pillow and cries.

She tries to hide her blues behind a smile. There were times that the pain was gone but it won’t be that long for Eryx was always talking about Sophronia, he always praises her and somehow that causes Geng’s sadness, “He knows how I feel for him but why should he talk about her, praise her in front of me?” Sometimes she just wished that she wasn’t there, that she had the ability to disappear so that she won’t hear such words. Eryx asked Sophronia’s hand for marriage, “I’ll marry you in one condition, give me the most valuable possession that every girl wanted�" give me the Dysis Diamond.” The prince immediately gathers his protectors, “Come with me to Dysis to find its precious diamonds.” “Why should we find it?” asked Geng. “Because once I find it, Sophronia will be my wife,” Eryx replied with so much happiness. Geng was astonished and saddened by his answer, “I don’t want to join them, I don’t want to help him wins Sophronia’s love but still I have no choice, it is my responsibility.” Early in the morning they went to their master, Rasmus. He gave them well-trained horses, new weapons and equipments they could use. “Dysis is the land of changes, it is comprises by a forest, a desert, a canyon and a plain. According to travelers the diamonds are found in a huge cave in the Dysis plain, the diamonds are only visible during spring that means you only have ten days before the summer. Dysis have so much danger; you must stick together as a team.”

The team travelled north and after three days they finally reach the Desert of Dysis. They decided to walk so that the horses won’t get tired easily. Hours and hours of walking passed, they encountered a sandstorm and when it stops, Geng rises from being buried under the sand and helps her friends. There was no sign of Eryx so they parted and searched for him. Geng finds him sinking in a quicksand�" she hastily stretches her arms and reaches for the prince’s hands. “Let go! You can’t pull me up�" you’re just a woman, call the others for help” “Do not underestimate me! I’m not just a woman; I am chosen to be your protector.” She pulled him with all her force and at last the prince was safe. They both sat on the sand and catch their breath, Otis and Diarria found them and together they assisted the prince as they continue their journey.

Before nightfall, the team built their camp. They wrapped themselves with a blanket and gather around the bonfire. “If you would be one animal what would it be?” Eryx asked. “I’ll be a dolphin for those fishes had the ability to communicate no matter how far they are from each other.” Otis would like to be an owl�" the symbol of knowledge while Prince Eryx wants to be a lion, the strongest and king of all animals. “What about you Geng?” Eryx asked. “Me? I want to be a phoenix so that I’ll be reborn after death, I want immortality.” “Why would you want immortality if those special people in your life will die and leave you?” “A warrior’s life or a protector’s�" you don’t know when it would end, will it be earlier or later? I’m just afraid to lose them, I’m afraid to leave them. So I’d rather be immortal.”

They got lost in the desert for five days and on the sixth day they arrived at the Dysis Canyon. “This is a great canyon and it may have a lot of great surprises for us, we must be alert,” said Otis. As they passed through the narrow valley Geng sensed something. “Something’s watching us.” Then a fox jumps and attacked Prince Eryx, she immediately shoot it with her arrow, more foxes came out. Otis and Diarria helped him. “We’re on your back, Geng,” declared Diarria. “No, go ahead… I can do this… alone.” They follow her instructions and she fought the foxes with her bow and arrow. Geng was bitten on her left arm by the last one standing and after her encounter she followed her friends. “You’re wounded!” said Otis with great concern. “This is nothing, we must go on.” “But we don’t know what could you get from that bite,” said Diarria. “I am absolutely fine.” “Enough!” Eryx cried. “You hear it, she’s okay and we must move on�" remember we are under a quest.” Diarria was angered by his words. The team enters a cave which takes them into a narrow edge of the canyon. Sooner they were going higher; Geng’s legs began to shake for she was afraid of high places. Suddenly she stepped on a crack and fell; she gets an arrow by her left arm and pierced it on the canyon wall�" that causes great pain on her wounds. Diarria and Otis was shocked, Diarria asked some rope, tied it on her waist and Otis held the other end. She rappelled and Geng’s hand was gradually slipping from being grip. She holds on to Diarria and Otis pulled them up, the prince just watched them. When they were on the surface again, Geng’s wound started to bleed too much. “Next time, would you please be careful on your steps,” Eryx said with a mad voice. Diarria was about to cure Geng but, “No, I’ll be alright, we must obey him.”

Geng endured the pain till night but when they reached the forest she passed out. “She’s sick,” Diarria declares. “And what could we do?” asked the prince obnoxiously. “Why are you acting that way? Geng was always there for you ever since; she’d risked her life just for you�" now she’s in danger; won’t you be just a little concern?” “We only have two days, we don’t have time to rest�" there’s a possibility that we’ll be lost in this huge forest. Most of all it is her job and even your job to assure my safety.” “Then that means you don’t care for us, that there’s no friendship between us, is that it?” The prince bowed his head and says nothing. “We’ll take that as a yes,” Otis said angrily. Then he carries Geng and rides his horse, “Come on Diarria.” “And where are you going!” exclaimed the prince. “Be going somewhere away from you!” Otis cried. “Well that’s great, I don’t really need you!” Otis and Diarria looked for a way out the forest then the sky was filled with lightning and the rain pours�"Prince Eryx started to move and he got astrayed for so many times.

Otis and Diarria finally get out of the forest, Geng awakes and asked. “Where’s the prince?” “We left him,” Diarria answered. “Why?” “He is such a selfish man! He doesn’t care for us; if you heard his words you would hate him too.” She went down from Otis’ horse; they heard a loud thunder and saw a lightning struck a tree that causes a fire. “Eryx is in danger!” Geng cried, she runs back with no agnosticism, Diarria and Otis follows. They jump on fallen trunks, passed through flaming roads and at last they found Eryx lying unconsciously on the ground. Geng takes Eryx, everything was on fire�" they find it hard to get through but still they survive. “Are you out of your mind?!” Diarria exclaimed. “Are you looking for death?” “Forgive me,” Geng said. “I’m just worried about Eryx.” Diarria was about to talk but Otis touches her shoulder and shook his head. Geng aided the prince’s wounds and he remains asleep, Otis becomes concern for her fever was getting higher, “You’re sick, you’re worse than him�" you need rest.” “I don’t feel tired; I want to look after him all night.” “You must move forward, he’s going to be married.” “I know but I can’t forget him, even if I try.” As she watches him sleeps, “Those three words it seems to be so easy to say for other people but for me it wasn’t�" I can’t tell it to you. Why should you do this just to win her love? Why do you choose her while I’m just here�" been here for you all these time. To me, you don’t need to do anything like this because a single thank you and a hello or even a smile�" it’s an ample, anything you do is special for me. I wish you could hear me, hear me say I love you without expecting anything in reserve.”

The next morning Diarria and Otis left to hunt, Eryx returned to his consciousness, “Where are we? What happened?” “We’re on the Dysis Plains; I’d saved you from the forest fire last night.” “We’re on the Dysis Plains!” He stood up and holds her arm tighly, “Let’s go! The cave must be just here.” They found the cave and enter it, a group of people attacked them and because they don’t have any weapons�" they were captured and they’re put inside a cage. Geng begins to feel weak and dizzy. “What is your intention to our land?” “We come here for the diamond.” Eryx replied. “The diamonds are the most important part of our land; you couldn’t get it by asking�" you’ll have to pass our dare. Artemis, the goddess of archery was our eudemon and to have the diamond�" both of you shall wear a blindfold and one will shoot ten apples from other’s head, can you do it?” “Geng, listen to me. You’re the best archer I ever know, please do this for me.” “But I can’t, I might kill you,” Geng said with weakness in her voice. “Don’t think of that, I trust you�" you can do it,” Eryx smiled. Geng had no choice but to try it though her condition wasn’t that good. Before the blindfold was applied she concentrates as she looks at the apple. “Oh, Artemis, please guide me,” she said as she aimed her arrow. Her first nine shots were good but the on the tenth she felt weakness in her arms and her world begins to be upside down. However she attains to shoot the last apple then she fainted. The people were amaze of what she did because she was the first to do it; they gave Eryx the diamond. A Dysian said the Geng was poisoned by a Dysis fox; she cured Geng and told the prince, “If the girl didn’t get well this night, she’ll die.”

The prince carries her back to their camp, he told Otis and Diarria about their adventure and about their friend’s condition. That was the first time that they saw Eryx so much concern. Before the sun had set Geng awakened, Eryx noticed it�" at once he went to her and asked her, “Are you alright?” “Yes.” “That’s great.” “Did I do it? Did we get the diamond?” “Yes you do, you did very great�" Thank you and sorry for being so selfish, sorry if I put your life in danger.” “That’s fine, everyone commits mistakes and besides we’re friends�" we should understand each other.” Arguments and misunderstanding were over. The next morning the team travelled back to Evania and nothing dangerous happened to them. The king held a party to welcome them as well as their visitor�" King Dione of Athens. Prince Eryx decided to give Sophronia the diamond during the gathering but that night sad news was heard, King Dione will be marrying Sophronia�" Prince Eryx felt so much disappointment and his royal companions worried so much for him. After the king’s announcement Eryx was out of their sight so they looked for him. “What Sophronia did isn’t pleasing to the prince’s part,” said Diarria. “We almost die there helping him and he almost die doing everything for her,” said Geng. They saw the prince sitting by the pond, “What are doing here, please leave�" I don’t want you to see me like this.” “Nothing’s wrong in crying,” Geng said. “Stop thinking of her, Eryx, she’s not meant for you,” Otis tapped his back. “Please, I beg you�" leave me alone.” Diarria and Otis left with great concern but Geng sat beside him. “Why aren’t leaving?” “Things won’t be better if you won’t tell it.” “You want me to share it with you?” Geng nodded. “That’s what friends are for, we listen and we comfort.” The prince looks up in the sky, “I hate her! I did everything for her but all she does is to break her promise. Why should she hurt me like this,” he cries. “You shouldn’t be sad at least you showed her that you would do anything to be with her and it’s up to her if she would appreciate it. Besides you didn’t lose anything�"“ Eryx looked at her. “She did, she lose someone who’s a future king; an intelligent, handsome, comical, conceited but very kind man.” Eryx felt better after hearing her words.

Sophronia visits the palace and meet Eryx the next day, “Eryx, I know that you’re angry with me but I never wanted to marry King Dione, it’s my mother who made an agreement with him. I love you; please believe me�" I’ll risk everything to be with you. Let’s runaway from here, leave everything that stops us from being together.” The prince believed her and been persuaded by her plans. Geng heard it and tires to stop them, “Prince Eryx this isn’t right, war may spark between Athens and Evania if you’ll do it.” “Should I always think of my kingdom? Well what about myself? What about my happiness?” “That is also for the good of both of you.” “You know how much I wanted to be with Sophronia, please understand me,” he pleaded. Geng sees sincerity in his eyes, deep inside there’s a heart burning to be with the one he loves. “I understand, I won’t suppress you in having your beatitude�" I won’t tell anybody, I promise.” The prince hugs her thank you but it is hard for her to let them go. After a meanwhile, King Dione confronts Tycho about the loss of Sophronia. Evania was greatly alarmed because the prince was gone too. “I heard about your son’s love for my Sophronia and now they are both missing�" I have a feeling that Eryx abducted my future wife. Return her to me this noon or else I’ll declare war.” Geng feels guilty in hiding what she knows�" she runs to King Dione and confesses. Then, the soldiers begin to search for them. Eryx and Sophronia were found in the forest�" they were captured and returned.

In anger, Dione punched Eryx and hurt him with a knife. The guards came to stop them, Eryx went to his chamber and Geng follows him. She sees the prince aiding his wound, “Do you need help?” she asked but the prince said nothing. Geng went near to him, trying to help him, “Don’t touch me!” Eryx exclaimed. “You betrayed me.” “No, I didn’t… I am just thinking of you… of your safety.” “Thinking of me? Or thinking of yourself?!” the prince said madly. “You love me don’t you? And you’re just jealous of Sophronia that’s why you deceive us that you can be trusted then you’ll tell it to the king and broke our hearts�" destroy our hopes!” “It’s not that, believe me.” “Believe you?! Nonsense! Why can’t you accept that truth�" the truth that I will never love you, stop pushing yourself to me because there’ll be no way that you would fit me�" a traitor, a selfish woman, a nothing�" who would ever love a girl like you?” “I am… I am severely sorry Your Highness,” she sobs and leaves the palace with a broken heart. All day she was inside her room, thinking of nothing but Eryx. At night a group of people sneak into her room, put her to sleep and kidnapped her.

When she wakes up she was somewhere underground, she saw two people who introduced themselves as Queen Lystra and King Platon. Geng was at first scared for she knows they are the missing Phyllisians. “Don’t fear us; we won’t hurt you our princess.” She was confused of what they called her and queen explained everything to her. Geng was the only heir to the Phyllisian throne, she was the baby escaped by a servant�" she’s Princess Gerica. She was completely surprised to know her true identity and it is hard for her to accept that those she once loved and be friends with were those people she must consider as enemy. At the same time, Fotini and Rasmus begin to search for their daughter while Otis had finally loved Diarria and they’ll be married. Eryx complains, “Have you and Geng planned this all�" leaving me behind? Sophronia was gone to me and you my only friends we’ll get married.” “Eryx, we love each other and we want a new life together�" we never intend to leave you. And you shouldn’t be upset now if you never hurt Geng�" she’s the only one you can be with once we wed.” The prince stayed silent.

The day of their wedding came and from that day onwards Eryx was alone no one to talk to�" no friends at all while Geng was no more that warrior-looking girl, now she was completely a princess in appearance and in manner. “Now that I am like Sophronia perhaps truly a princess�" would Prince Eryx like me too?” she asked as she looks at the mirror. “Listen to me, you shouldn’t feel love for an enemy, my darling,” her mother warned. All her days that she spends with the Phyllisians were full of confusion. “Why couldn’t I forget about him? I should move forward, he’s my enemy now�" I must hate him!” Geng tried to leave all Eryx’s thoughts behind her past but everything around her seems to remind her of him. Till the day of King Platon’s order, “Princess Gerica, I shall assign you a very special task�" return to the palace and kill Prince Eryx.” The princess was greatly astonished but she made-up her mind to do it.

It was night when she quietly enters the palace with a hood covering her face and she went straight to the prince’s chamber, she left the door open. There Eryx was sleeping soundly; it’s been a month since she last saw him and memories started to come back to her mind. The princess held her sword on the front of the prince’s chest, her hands were shaking and her eyes were teary. “Can I do this? Can I kill the prince?” Suddenly, a guard passed by and saw her. As the guard captured her, Eryx awakes and discovers that it was Geng. The princess was place on a cell; her arms were highly chained to the both walls of the cage. King Tycho came to see her and he familiarized her clothes similar to the Phyllisians. “Tell me why you’re wearing Phyllisian clothing?” he asked. “Because… because I am Princess Gerica, daughter of King Platon and Queen Lystra.” “They’re alive? And they send you to kill my son?” “Yes they did.” The king tried to convince her about where the Phyllisians were hiding but she didn’t answered, Tycho was angered and he ordered the guards to hit the princess with a whip every day. Platon heard about the princess’ imprisonment and prepared his colleagues for another war against Evania. Fotini and Rasmus heard it too but it they were restraint to see her.

Every single day the prince sees Geng being punished; he had pity on her and feels every pain as the soldiers beat her with a whip; it seems to break his heart into pieces. Then one day the princess gets tired, she was completely hurt with all her wounds, her dress was bloody. She asked the king a request, “May you please end-up my life with the use of an arrow, I wanted Prince Eryx to do it.” The king follows her request and the prince refuses. “Shoot me in the heart, don’t worry�" I’ll endure every pain just like when you broke my heart.” The prince was forced to do it, he aimed her arrow but lately he put it down, “Please leave us for a moment,” he asked. When everyone was gone, “Why didn’t you do it, Eryx?” “Geng…” “Call me Princess Gerica.” “Princess… Gerica, why should I do it? I can’t kill you�" you’re my friend.” Geng laughs. “You can’t kill me but all this time you’d hurt me like you’re killing me and what’s that word? Friend? I never knew that were friends?” Eryx just walks away and tears fell down his eyes. The princess’ throes lasted for more days, no matter how she cries or shout they won’t stop. Eryx felt guiltiness, “I am the prince but I can’t do anything for her, anything to end up her pains.”

The war started and Prince Eryx fought. Arista who heard about the princess of Phyllis came and visits Geng. “Who are you?” asked Geng. “I am Arista, the woman who fell in love with a Phyllisian and caused a war,” she answered. “I heard so many stories about you from my son Otis; you’re the woman who had fallen deeply in love with my brother. You’re the one who almost sacrificed her life for him�" my gratitude to you.” Arista tells the story about Kosmo and her. “Once we loved and destroy the peace between our kingdoms, now I am asking you to unite them. Yes maybe you’re a Phyllisian raised as an Evanian but race doesn’t matter�" in doing what’s right. Evanian and Phyllisian were just the same, we are all humans, we are made equally and it is only us who makes things complicated. I know you are still that warrior, that dress and gems you wear�" it isn’t you. You know that, don’t you?” Arista’s words serves as the light that brightens the princess’ mind. Arista let her escaped and will all the wounds she had she runs through the shore, there she sees Eryx and a Phyllisian soldier was about to shoot him. Geng quickly runs to him and covers her back to him�" she was shot by three poisonous arrows. Tycho, Platon and Eryx were shocked, the prince quickly catches her and take her into his chariot.

The prince shall take her back to the palace to be aided. “I don’t want to die, there are people waiting for me back there�" I don’t want to leave them,” as she talks you can feel her agony. “I don’t want you to die too,” said Eryx. “Why won’t you? You won’t need me, sooner there’ll be another Sophronia in your life�" someone who’s better than me and besides I am just a traitor, a selfish woman and a nothing isn’t it?” “No… no… I was wrong, I am so wrong. I need you more than I need Sophronia, in every danger I had she wasn’t there to save me, to protect me. Without you how could I ever survive the desert; who would help me in things I couldn’t do, without you my life would be nothing. You are always better than her and I am such a stupid person not to know it all this time. You never betrayed me, you’ve never been selfish and you are my everything. And I don’t want to lose you again. There may be a lot of Sophronia but there will be only one you.” Tears fell down their eyes. “Eryx, I want you to unify Evania and Phyllis�" that is my last wish before I die.” “What are you talking about? Nobody says you’ll die.” “But I can feel it now; the Charon is waiting for me in the underworld.” “Don’t talk like that�" you’ll live as long as you wanted. Geng… Gerica… whoever you are I love you with all my heart.” “I love you too, Eryx,” then her eyes closes as the sun sets and she was breathing no more�" Eryx noticed it and stops his chariot. He hugs the princess tightly and kissed her forehead, “Goodbye.”

The death of Geng becomes a way for both kingdoms to be one. Eryx was crowned as king and from that day on the land was known as Pánta which means “Forever.” King Eryx made Geng’s dream come true, he told the whole kingdom about her story; he wrote a book about her and asked the sculptor to write it on the palace walls in that ways she was remembered and considered to live forever. “I wish I can take the time back�" back when there was no Sophronia, back when we were all happy together. And if that happen, I will change everything�" Geng will never cry, not a single tear will fall from her eye. I’ll be always be there for her; I will fill her life with the happiness she deserves, I’ll keep her in my arms and hold her tight�" never let her go. I will always love her the way she did love me.” The king kept the ashes of the princess, hoping that one day she’ll be reborn like the phoenix. Eryx never marries�" like what he said there’s only one Geng, no one could ever replace her. The king held Otis as his successor. He had finally found true love and it was too late but he always keeps in mind what Kosmo once said. “You may not hear her, or even see her but I’ll be always there with you.” Geng will always be the hope that makes him go on and the love that guides him into his life; she will be in his heart till the day of his death.”

 

“True love lingers eternity, death is not enough to end it. For love stays on the memory of those who witnessed it and on the heart of those who found it�" they’ll tell it to the world and inspires more people, inspire even themselves to live on even though their love ones left and do the best they can ever do for it is what their love ones wanted�" to see them happy not thinking that they’re alone.”

 

“There are always regrets in the end. Everything around you is a blessing appreciate it, care for it and love it before you lost it and realize that it was something you could never have again.”

© 2014 Gerica de la Cruz


Author's Note

Gerica de la Cruz
What do you think of my story?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very reflective piece with meanings woven into the imagery! This is sure to capture a reader

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gerica de la Cruz

9 Years Ago

thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
1 Review
Added on July 28, 2014
Last Updated on July 28, 2014
Tags: phoenix, greek mythology, myth, gods and goddesses, gods, goddess, love, eternity, forever, friendship

Author

Gerica de la Cruz
Gerica de la Cruz

Bacoor, CALABARZON, Philippines



About
Years from now I'll be an English teacher and I'm endeavoring to be a writer too. I love Les Miserables, Jane Austen, Lang Leav, Pandas, Disney and other cute stuffs. more..

Writing



Compartment 114
Compartment 114