Winking Owl

Winking Owl

A Poem by Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer





Searching for answers, all over the land.
Trudging through deserts, through lots of sand.
Finding nothing useful that is left here for you.
Making it hard to figure out what you need to do.
But then you noticed...

Resting upon a cactus, out of place perched an owl.
He let out a screech, a screech that was quite loud.
Smiling down upon you, leaning in to take a look.
He gave you a wink, which made you think...
that that had never happened, not in any book...

The winking owl of wisdom was there to answer you,
but being as you were, you didn't know what to do.
It's hard to believe in something that was never told,
but nothing is impossible, not even the toughest load.
A burden is great and heavy for you to carry,
but your heart from God should not be buried.
Thinking beyond what you've always heard,
brings in the answers through God's words.

You may not want to believe, and that sir is okay,
but once you feel it inside you, you can make it go away.
The happiness that it brings you, the peace in your heart.
Showing that dear God, does do His part.
Ask the man for blessings, and to you He shall bring.
All things and  every thing in between.
He is a man of promise, does not go back on His word.
So this is why you should trust Him, He is what I prefer.

I have been in a hole, just as you are now.
Bringing in suicidal thoughts, like a gunning firing 'POW!'.
But once I let my angel show me what He could do,
I was very thankful, speaking out to Him with 'I love you.'.
And all it took was a winking owl, no one knew the truth.
But then one day you set out and... 'POOF!'. 




© 2012 Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer


Author's Note

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer
To all those amazing poets that I do love, but mainly for OT (and Crowley) because he said 'Poetry loves you'... so here I am. -- EDITING

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
nice to see you exploring poetry more and more! this was a great piece - you have many brilliant lines - lots of insight - some wisdom - all the matter for a poem - there are some flow/rhyme disruptions yeah, but they didn't detract from the read much (just in the places where you abandoned the rhyme that started with a strong couplet base) - just something to note and work on - the substance was strong, the styling poetic - the rest is easily fixed - you have a lot to say in this piece - and I wonder if free verse would be a better platform for you than rhymes which can get in the way ha - nice job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved the imagery that you describe in this piece the journey isn't always an easy one but many times there can be a great reward.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"It's hard to believe in something that was never told,
but nothing is impossible, not even the toughest load.
A burden is great and heavy for you to carry,
but your heart from God should not be buried."

These were my favorite lines...the wisdom in them just resonated from the words and leaked into the stanzas to come. True all things are possible should we possess an unstaggering faith and good moral direction. I agree with that 100%:)

"You may not want to believe, and that sir is okay,
but once you feel it inside you, you can make it go away."
I love the playfulness in the tone here...it gives the piece your usual flair of fun and adds to the humor. It's also a satire for the obstinate fool who's not willing to listen/believe:) Nicely played this lines were...

The message is clear and the flow is great. Though one knows they should be gaining from the piece they cannot help but be entertained by the approach and methodology of the words:)

I liked this piece Amanda...
Thanks for letting me read it!

~M.Babu~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well...that was...odd

Leaving aside the strange nature of some of the lines, it's really hard to read this smoothly when you don't have a set rhyme structure. Lines appear to rhyme when they feel like it, rather than at set places in each stanza, and it rocks the rhythm boat when I can't expect anything.

While we're on the subject, you also need to be more aware of your syllable count. Some of your lines run on, not way too long, but one or two syllables too long, which gives the feeling of just not being quite right. The first stanza in particular is all over the place, with two medium lines then two long lines, then a short line. The last stanza is similarly all over the place.

I question some of your word choices too, especially when it feels like you're pulling something from the air just to fit a rhyme. Like 'poof' or 'pow'. Seriously? Where did that come from?

It's a rocky read but not a bad one. The message comes across, but could certainly be more smoothly delivered.

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it...we can make it into a song (=

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amazing inspirational piece. This helped me remember what is important too......Thank you for this one. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

688 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 29, 2012

Author

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer
Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

GA



About
I'm an entirely different breed, gladly embracing the fact that I'm an odd ball. I'm a YA writer that's do everything she can to stop procrastinating long enough to complete a novel, in order to self.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


PILLOW PILLOW

A Poem by Seashell


~ Time ~ Time

A Poem by