The Anointed

The Anointed

A Story by Hannah
"

This is my creative interpretation of the Bible passage 1 Samuel 24. The italic block at the end is a direct quote from 1 Samuel 24:10-12 (NIV).

"
His heavy breathing rushed in and out, his heart pounding as the footsteps echoed in the darkness. A silhouetted figure moved, unknowing, towards his hiding place. A flash of light and a glimpse of the figure's face and purple robe confirmed his fears - the king was here.

All the memories of the past months began to surface, threatening to overwhelm him... Jonathan, the constant fleeing, Michal...so much blood and hate...
 A ringing filled his ears in the oppressive silence, making it even harder for him to concentrate. "Is this it, Lord? Would you do this for me after all this time?" Other whispered suggestions pierced through the black, "Kill him!" "It's your chance, the Lord has given him to you now!"
 The figure turned towards the cave wall and stopped, busying itself. The sound of trickling water reached his hiding place. He breathed a small sigh of relief, "He doesn't know we're here!" The ringing sound faded and his pulse quickened as he realised that his opportunity was fading steadily with the sound of trickling coming from the figure. Without giving anymore time to reconsider, he rose lithely from his hiding place, hands fumbling slightly as they drew the sword hanging easily at his hip. The king seemed to take no notice of the soft, metallic sound.

Stomach acids threatening overflow, he took a few quick, nimble steps around to the king's back - the few metres went in a blur, his mind frighteningly blank in those few seconds. It scared him as he stopped and realised the fact - that he was so set on what he was about to do.
 "But this is destined! He has walked into your hands!"
 More memories once again flashed through his mind's eye: the priests, a spear and a harp, three arrows and a small boy...chasing...

He had taken the last few paces, positioning himself right behind his shadowy target. The trickling had stopped, and the figure began to shift on his feet. The crouching man behind him started, and found that his hands were shaking violently. A repulsive lump churned in his gut, and anger at this man and his own hesitation shortly joined it, creating a fireball of emotions...
 "Think of all he has done to you! It is your right! Why is it that you, who have slain thousands now have difficulty killing this man?"

The figure suddenly moved and made to walk out of the cave again. The man made his decision.

His sword's silver blade glinted only a little as it came down, slicing almost silently.

He released a pent up breath, panting now, but getting slower and calmer. He looked up towards the cave entrance and felt a profound sense of peace. It crept up on him from the stone floor, and wafted in from the cave opening He ran lightly back to his men hiding in the shadows. One question, however, seemed to hover at the edge of his conscious mind, whether heard or thought he wasn't sure - "Why?"

He turned back just as the king was stepping out into the sunlight, and he fingered the scrap of purple cloth in his left hand - no longer feeling peace, but guilt - even shame! At this? The torn corner of the king's robe fluttered, yet unnoticed by its wearer.

Yes, even shame.

The king strode out of the cave, back towards his army, looked at the sun's position and estimated the amount of time they had left for searching. He opened his mouth to greet his second in command-
 and heard a voice calling him from behind. A familiar voice... Could it be? Confusion and anger beginninng to well up inside him, he jerked his head around to search for source of his enemy's voice...

And caught a glimpse of his torn robe for the first time...

~

"This day you have seen with your own eyes how the Lord delivered you into my hands in the cave. Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, 'I will not lay my hand on my lord, because he is the Lord's anointed.' See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. See that there is nothing in my hand to indicate that I am guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. May the Lord judge between you and me. And may the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you."

© 2013 Hannah


Author's Note

Hannah
How is the pacing?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on February 25, 2013
Last Updated on February 25, 2013
Tags: Bible, Christian, interpretation, king

Author

Hannah
Hannah

Australia



About
A young writer looking for helpful feedback :D more..

Writing
Little Bird Little Bird

A Poem by Hannah


Nycthemeron Nycthemeron

A Story by Hannah