Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by majesticworldofregina
"

The world of Regina is a vast world run solely on the magical power of diamonds. Follow Myron, a man who's lost everything, and the Twisted Roses as they struggle for a place in the World of Regina..

"

Prologue

         

          Age of Divinity,

          It’s been years since Regina’s creation by the Holy Six. The gods met as one, exchanging power for the creation of this world. Regina, as so it was named. With it was born the Human race. First of their kind, eldest of the children. Mandated as the superior, time showed fault with their kind. Left to them, harmony, peace, and stability, became hatred, violence, and self-destructiveness. Fearing the end, the six inspired to create a second race. More passionate than their first. By these ideals that the Vesper came to be.

          Gentle in every way, cherishing life of all kind, the Vesper were crafted as the ultimate goal for humans to strive. Their bright hair to be rich in life and tainted with vibrant colors. Eyes that shall shine during the darkest of night. Skin, glistening under the never-ending rays of the sun would show divinity and inspire new beginnings. It was not sought to play so deeply into the envy of humans. Thus, the solution became a dull light. Leading to more conflict and turmoil, tearing further into the beauty that is Regina.

          A failure so monumental Regina itself wept tears of red that would forever stain its own foundation. Now and forever the six would remain silent. Not to coddle but let their children find their own light of guidance…..

 

……..470 years later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 1

Regina Year 470, 25th of Phoenix.

 

 

Myron hides his face among the shadows inside his hooded long coat. The Phoenix season is known for its high temperatures. As a large male dressed for the winters of the Northeners, he blends in poorly with his surroundings. Luckily today, there’s a crowd. Bloodthirsty and unruly, they are at the least easy to get lost in. Howling and cheering they shout for the executioner, a heavy set giant who sharpens his sword in the name of justice. His true face hidden behind an iron mask he stands among Regina’s most feared peacekeepers. Proudly the men and women sit in awe representing the World Security guild, largest guild in all of Regina. With such overwhelming numbers this single guild is charged with providing the safety to all life inside the main lands, more than willing to die for those they serve.

Myron tugs at his hood while slowly approaches the execution block, careful not to draw attention to himself. His eyes scan the stage from afar as his mind contemplates the many ways he can be killed.

The execution block sits on a platform about one story high and is large enough for the four famed officers to sit comfortably in tall elegant chairs made from golden oak. Each officer is accompanied by their own personally chosen officers. They stand behind their surperiors with fancy clothing and arms folded behind their backs. They share the stage with a single blowhard speaker and a sweaty executioner whi paces back and forth about the woman forced to her knees. Brave in every way, she doesn’t flinch nor show any signs of fear. Innocent of her crime, she stares back at the angry mob that she not too long ago served.

“Heinous. Devious! All words too kind for the monster that kneels before us.”   Cries the speaker. “This woman, Erika Vera has not only dishonored the World Security guild, she has betrayed all of you. Bringing shame to the very people who so generously paid her wages.” He continues. His every word feeding into the mob’s hatred makes them blind in gullible. Far from a hero, Myron exists the only man present with knowledge of  the truth.

“Well, it begins!” Myron speaks softly to himself.

He drops down into a crouched position, digging his hands deep inside his shadow in a way that only he can do. It’s a simple task to manipulate his shadow without touching it directly but this way is much easier on the body. He flexes imaginary muscles, as one would flex their back or biceps, causing several birds to fly from his shadow alongside two hounds as dark as night. They draw shrieks and wandering eyes as the angry mob disperses with hopes of finding safety in shelter. Myron couldn’t be any less interested gazing back at the serious threat standing a couple of feet in front of him. He knows he has no chance of surviving this encounter if he chooses to stay and fight, so he goes with the plan rehearsed countless times in his idle mind.

The birds fly high before nose diving onto the execution block. Delegates of the World Security Guild are ready to defend themselves but the attack doesn’t come the way they thought. The shadow birds dive around them hitting attacking the stage as opposed to the men and women on it. Upon contact they explode, absent pressure, becoming one large smoke screen of darkness, playing keep away with even the smallest fragments of light.

The hound duo waste little time before leaping into the shadowy abyss. Their eyes act as Myron’s would when locating the famous swordsmaster. Erika Vera, her face riddled with confusion. The hounds chew at the wires binding her to the stage, freeing her from captivity. Frozen, she doesn’t make a move until she spots a hand slowly gliding towards her face. Black gloves, fat fingers. They reach into her hand, locking a tight hold. A distance voice, speaking words she can’t comprehend. Returning to her senses she’s pulled from the darkness by a dark skinned male with a head full of locks.

“We should be running now” Myron says to her.

“Who? Who are you?” Erika stammers

“A great runner.” Myron answers with blood seeping from his nose. Like all things in Regina there is a price to pay. Myron’s unique ability to morph his shadow however special, comes with a steep price. One he struggles to pay on his best day.

With Erika on his heels, Myron flinches at the heavy roar erupting from the scene he has created. It’s as if an explosion has sounded and several buildings tumbled on top one another. His mind already knows the person behind the sound, so the only logical thing to do is run faster!

Together they scurry across a bridge with the violent adversary likely giving chase. Controlling his shadows over the distance while sprinting becomes too much for Myron too bare, so he casually reverts his shadow back into its inanimate form. It greatly helps with his breathing and erases the blurriness in his eyesight.

He cuts corners and runs through stalls with Erika slowly beginning to lag behind. He hasn’t the time to coddle her so he runs faster with the focus on saving himself. If the woman is half as good as the stories say then she will survive this. he says convincing himself. Breathing heavily and smiling wickedly, Myron points to the edge of Cherie city. It’s paved in marble overseeing the vast blue of an endless ocean. “Don’t hesitate. JUMP!” He orders.

He’s soaring in the air before he can finish his own sentence. Freefalling into the salty waters below, he takes a moment to look behind himself in excitement. To is surprise there isn’t a single civilian or officer in pursuit. Nobody’s chasing, he applauds himself casually.

Extending his arms, Myron counts on his shadows once more, molding it into lightweight tubing that stretches from the city limits to the waters below. It acts as a slide providing a smooth trip into the small speed boat nesting peacefully below. It was always the plan to exit absent combat but to do so this easily is the icing on the cake.

“WHAT IS HAPPENING!!” Erika screams at the top of her lungs. She’s sliding too quickly for comfort, shifting left to right in danger of falling over the edge. She collides head first inside the boat, banging her skull against the spine of her would be savior.

“DAMNIT! I just saved you, you know?” Myron cries.

He yanks at the lever causing the boat to bleed it’s power source, cutting through the ocean at an alarming speed. He takes one last look back at Cherie and verifies his clean escape. Wiping blood from his nose he  regains control over his breath. All is as good as it would seem.

“What is this? You saved. Who are you? Why would you?” Erika stammers again. Her thoughts collide with her adrenaline as she struggles to make out the event that's unfolded in front her. Moments ago she was all but prepared to journey the world of the next and now she’s part of an escape, daring enough to be told for generations to come. Her former commanding officer, Domminck, prides himself on never letting anyone escape yet gives no. Regardless of how many times she looks back it all seems a dream. She feels ot deep in her gut that his towering figure will come with the rising tidal waves. Yet nothing. Did he truly believe my innocence? Did he lose interest? Was he halted by something else?, she searches herself for answers. Too many questions flood her mind at once leaving her speechless and frustrated all the same. The famous woman takes a deep breath before opening her mouth any further. She watches Myron shiver and cover his head with a hood in the dead middle of the warmest season of Regina.

“Who are you” she asks more calmly. She watches her savior shiver with chills and spitting blood into the sea. His eyes, glossy and weak. A strong enough wind being sufficient enough to snuff out the tiny flicker of life he has left in his frail like body.

“Not. yet” He says even more weakly. He’s far from the person he was a few minutes ago. His energy sapped and his body broken. Erika can tell it’s taking everything he’s got to just remain conscious. Still drenched in confusion she takes his hand in hers, gently removing it from the throttle.

This speed boat is nothing new to her, like most new age technology in Regina it runs on a cycle based on energy harnessed by power diamonds. The energy is distributed to smaller gears and smaller pathways throughout the boat. It doesn’t take years of schooling to operate, just experience. That in which she has plenty through her years of service with the WS guild.

Under her grasp, the boat treads the water with surprisingly good maneuverability. There is little recoil in its jumps and a small amount of resistance in its turns. The engines have a loud hum but it’s no doubt a result of the diamonds being bled as its pushed to maximum capacity. There are still no signs of anyone in pursuit but Erika knows personally how quick things can change when you least expect it.

“So. Who are you?” Erika asks again.

“Myron.” He answers slowly.

“Are you.”

“Fine. Using my shadows takes a lot of us. Me. Ignore that part. It drains me.”

“Your spitting blood.”

“Great observation.”

“And the explanation.”

“Kinda like an MMR.” Myron says to more confusion.

Majestic Manifest Relics are mystical items gifted from the gods. Each relic, when bound, grants the user other worldly abilities that vary based on the god that created it. Intended for easier living, MMRs are now mostly used as tools of combat.

“MMRs don’t cost life!” Erika says speaking facts.

“Which is why I said kinda”

“I don’t..”

“Understand? Me neither, next question” Myron says uninterested. He runs his fingers throughout the dreads that freefall from his skull. He tugs at his coat pulling the hood from over his head. Because of his abilities he always feels a chill in his bones. As he regains strength it all becomes a bit more bearable.

“Why did you save me” Erika asks with a never ending barrage of questions plaguing her mind.

“Why were you willing to die?”

“It was my duty. There is honor in following beliefs to the end”

“So there’s honor in dying for something you’ve no part in. And people say I’m stupid.”

“WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT IT?” She snaps. The length of the previous seasons we’re both the longest and worst of her life. Watching friends turn into enemies, smiles into frowns. The accusing stares of people she’d once given her life to protect was a traumatic feeling. Calling it hard would be an understatement.

“I know your name. Erika Vera. You’re the only daughter of some big shot, whose name I can’t seem to remember now for some odd reason but I promise on any regular day I’d know. I know your innocent, framed by a woman you never..”

“YOU KNOW WHO DID THIS TO ME?” Erika screams. Her heaving chest go hand in hand with the fiery hate in her eyes. She’s losing herself in a way Myron never expected she would. In response, he chuckles.

“Met. To finish my sentence. Havikk, to answer your question.”

“Havikk?” Erika speaks the name softly. “I’ve never heard of her”

“She used to be a pirate. Now I can’t even keep up.” Myron mumbles. “Before you get to asking why, I don’t know. Best I can tell it was wrong place wrong time, but then again, Havikk seems too plan for everything, so I haven’t a clue.”

“And you? What’s it to you?”

“Opportunity. Your family’s reputation is of paying debts. A legacy I’m aiming to exploit. I just saved your life so now you owe me.” Myron says with a wicked smile. He’s been anticipating this moment for the two seasons. Containing his excitement is an impossible task with the lady of the hour sitting right in front of him.

Beyond her family’s name Erika’s earned praised for her swordsmanship throughout Regina. Victories in over thireteen different tournaments has her labeled the best swordsmaster in the Regina. A prodigy, she was the fastest officer to climb the ranks inside the World Security Guild. Four months ago, she was on track to receiving her own ship and crew to follow under the guild sea division. Now, she’s trapped in a boat, a fugitive, slumming it with a man she doesn’t even know.

“I will not partake in anything that smudges my name. I live by a code of honor. I won’t be a part of piracy”

“And again there’s honor in dying for a crime you did not commit. Hilarious, yet that stupid way of thinking is why I started with you anyway.”

“Started?”

“Yes. I’m going after Havikk. We have history. To do so I need people. Your first on my list.”

“What a coincidence.” Erika says expecting foul play.

“Wrong again. I have a plan” Myron ignores her sarcasm. “Your one of two I figure wants a go at Havikk. Another thing I’m simply exploiting your beliefs, a habit I’m starting to see in this world.”

“You’re a leach, I get it. Now, am I just to suspect they’ll be the three of us.”

“Plus a few. Havikk is beyond your average pirate. I’ll need a company and help managing it.” Myron says already knowing her answer.

“Are you deaf? I’m no pirate, I hunt them.”

“Not anymore you don’t. Besides I never said anything about being a pirate. I’m pirate hunting or something like that.”

Myron reaches into his pockets, withdrawing his mapping plaque. It’s a miniature device that creates a holographic mapping of Regina. It works off the power source created by four yellow diamonds installed in series with two reds and a single blue. It depicts everything from main cities to the small riverbeds that cut through them. The more expensive models can pinpoint the location of the user but in Myron’s case, beggars can’t be choosers.

“Steer us further west.” He orders.

“East?”

“East.”

“Into Versperion?”

“That is what lies in the east.”

“That place is the holy land of Vespers. They won’t just let us walk...”

“Criminal, remember? I already made arrangements. I figured I’d be trailed by warships at this point, but as luck would have it I wasted a life’s savings.”

“Your. Strange.”

“I’ve been called worst.”

“This other, person. What’s their story?”

“We’re not after him yet. My niece comes first.”

“A niece? Exactly when were you going to explain this.”

“Now?”

“You are exhaustingly annoying, and extremely frustrating”

“That may be the longest insult I’ve heard but it is still far from the worst.”

“Oh, just explain why.” Erika says with growing frustration. She locks the speed of the boat and finds a more comfortable position to sit in. Myron hands her a portion of his travel rations, dried meat, seasoned and marinated in a hickory sauce. They’ve been cut into bite sized proportions, nearly a handful to split between the two. Erika politely refuses.

“It goes back to my abilities. As I said they are kind of like the MMRs, and kinda something else.” Myron says grinning from ear to ear.

“So, like what? Manmade?” Erika takes a jokingly guess. She tries getting a read on Myron who only answers by nodding his head to the side.

“But that’s impossible. MMRs are the gift of the gods. No man or woman can create such a power.”

“Yet here I am. In a world with machines that walk the ocean. A hundred years ago it was thought the world ended at the sea, now we sail it.”

“Point being nothing is impossible but still, how? It makes no sense. It’s taboo, a line the Cipher guild wouldn’t even dare cross.”

“Or they say. Those eggheads aren’t to be trusted. A group of smart people too smart for their own good.”

“A conversation for another time! What happened to you?”

“I don’t remember. It’s like a black void inside my head but all the same it’s not an emptiness.. It’s easier to think of me as two people trapped in one.” Myron sighs. He stands up slowly to keep from falling overboard. His body is still fatigued from today’s earlier adventure. When his eyesight grows hazy he laughs it off, stretching his arms inches apart. He commands his shadow to rise once again, taking the form that takes the largest toll on his body.

A man. Dark brown skin, more brawn and fire in his eyes. He can easily pass as Myron’s twin. Unlike the other creations of Myron this man breathes deep heavy breaths and is full of color instead of the pitch-black coloring of the others. He’s fully nude but unbothered. Only looking around to take in his surroundings. His eyes catch a withered version of Myron that he rushes to save from falling overboard. He’s lips move but he has no voice to be heard. He takes his younger brother in his arms, slowly lowering him back into the speed boat. He smiles before dissolving back into the shadows he once emerged from.

“That is my brother, Kano. He lives in my shadows and..through me.” Myron says through gasps and wheezes. His eyes are red and blood threatens to trickle from his nose once more.

“This is.Unnatural! Noway one person could manage this. Magic is a thing of children stories. “

“Say what you want but I know what I know.” Myron says with a hint of frustration. It wasn’t that long he believed himself crazy for thinking the way he did but facts are facts. If the whole world was to deny his claim he knows what he knows and swears by it. It’s the same intuition that’s kept him alive so far. So why change it?

“Myron this is a lot to..”

“It doesn’t matter what you believe. Our task is the same. We’re picing up my niece in Vesperian town.”

“It’s more of a kingdom.”

“Whatever, that’s where we’re headed.”

“And this niece, am I to assume she has similar interests regarding Havikk?”

“Doubt it. I’ve never even met her!”

Silence sweeps the miniature ship as a storm brews inside Erika. She’s poised to explode from a simple conversation with her new companion, who knows what she should expect from the future. Her mind cycles the importance of the life debt over and over until she’s able to find her center. Breathing deeply she forces a smile before asking, “Then how do you know she’s even here.”

“I have Kano’s thoughts in my own. She’s there, working as a waitress or a cook or something like that. Kinda hard to tell.”

“But you share his mind?”

“More like fragmented thoughts. Truth is he kept her hidden from me, her and a wife.”

“Then why would..”

“Because of you. I want you watching her. Raising her. Kano didn’t introduce us, so I want to keep it that way. All the same he’s worried sick about her. She’s a Bright-eye, half-vesper, half- human. They get discriminated pretty bad. Without him to care for her she’s all alone. I figure what better mentor than you.”

“So you do know politeness.”

“It comes and goes.” Myron says with his signature grin.

The hour grows late as the sun slowly begins its decline. Merchants sail peacefully in the distance bickering loud enough to wake the dead. Myron yawns widely without a care in the world. He shuts his eyes, reclining back as far as he able. His arms tucked neatly behind his head he mumbles, “ I can leave the first shift to you, yea?”

“I don’t see anybody else here.”

“Perfect.” His voice trails off. His last thoughts are of the sounds the engine makes as Erika bleeds the diamonds. The speed boat roars loudly before leaving a blazing trail in the vast blueness of the ocean below.

 

 



© 2017 majesticworldofregina


Author's Note

majesticworldofregina
These are only three chapters of a final product

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
Added on September 16, 2017
Last Updated on October 4, 2017
Tags: #WOR, #Regina, #Worldofregina, #TwistedRoses, #Fantasy, #Series, #Majestic, #Twisted, #Roses, #Newseries