Having A Bad Day

Having A Bad Day

A Story by Paul D. Aronson
"

Ever have one of those days? Hopefully not like this guy....

"

 

Certainly I knew something was wrong. Though I couldn’t remember the details of the nightmare, I bolted out of my sleep as if someone had screamed in my ear. The scream resonated through my whole body and it only took me a minute to realize it was me who was in terror.

   I gasped for air and when I had trouble taking it in, my hands clawed at the bed, trying to grab hold of something to pull myself up. If I could just sit up I reasoned then everything else would be all right.

   My fingers touched the red velvet of my sleeping place, but I could not pull myself upright. I felt as if I was pinned to my bed. This is what it feels to be paralyzed I told myself. To have the power of thought and horror and yet unable to do anything about it.

   I tried to cry for help, hoping someone was close enough to hear and as I hissed and whimpered in my predicament, someone’s face came into view above me. He had a grim and determined countenance. As his dark eyes seemed to watch in amusement, all he said was “That was for Mina.”

   Under other circumstances I would have laughed and asked him whatever in the devil’s name he was talking about, but this time no laughter was forthcoming. Even if I had the strength to, my laughing at the world days were over.

   In one last surge of energy I tried once more to get up. I felt something tear beneath me and an excruciating pain gripped my heart. I looked up at the man but was far too proud to beg his assistance. Instead I responded in rage. The scream that came from deep within was filled with blood. It was seeping into my lungs and I knew at that moment how fitting it would be for me to choke on blood, that which sustains us all through the years.

   When the man smiled next my vision was just beginning to blur. He reminded me of a ghost, a specter that haunts one for all eternity. As his image began to waver, I knew I was settling into the forever sleep that I have feared for so long.

In one last act of defiance I raised my head and peered down the length of my body. The stake that protruded from my chest pinning me to the coffin was adorned with a cross. It was then I knew for certain, my reign of terror was over. The vampire was dead.

 

 

© 2008 Paul D. Aronson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kept me guessing til the end...nice job delivering the twist!

"The stake that protruded from my chest pinning me to the coffin was adorned with a cross. It was then I knew for certain, my reign of terror was over. The vampire was dead. "


Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hah! I see others have offered suggestions so I will spare the nit-picking. I enjoyed the different viewpoint.

"This one is for Mina."

Indeed.

Posted 17 Years Ago


Nice job. I didnt catch on to the twist at all, till i read the last word. Very good.

Posted 17 Years Ago


Agreeing with William, some odd disconnects, especially in the first paragraph with the transition from the metaphor of a scream to an actual scream, and a few others.

I also should have caught on with the dropped name, but the set up was so smooth, I missed it.

It was indeed a fun read.

Posted 17 Years Ago


I should have caught on with "That was for Mina," but somehow I didn't make the connection. Despite what I think are some fairly weak sentences here and there, this was a fun read. The twist, in my opinion, makes this about the most original vampire piece I've read. Nice job!

Posted 17 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 29, 2008

Author

Paul D. Aronson
Paul D. Aronson

Roanoke, VA



About
Paul's Latest news: Returning to the cafe after a hiatus of sorts. Look for my 2 latest "books' to be featured here in a chapter by chapter format: The YA manga inspired Vampire romance, "Vampire Boy.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Paul D. Aronson



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..