Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by goddessofwriting
"

Meet Rheanna, who was almost involved in the second collision of her life.

"

Chapter 1



I gunned it.


The wheels of my 2001 Chevy spun as I tested the engine to its limits. The windows were rolled down, and my black, waist-length hair fluttered in the wind. I cranked the music up. Hard rock blasted through the speakers, and I sighed with satisfaction as my body relaxed. I was in my senior year, and school was mentally draining no matter how much - or how little - you did.


Green landscape flew past. The sun was slowly beginning to rise, causing the clouds to turn into a scenic palette of warm shades.


After driving for what felt like minutes - but was really an hour, I glanced at the time. I cursed under by breath before slowly easing the truck to a halt.


Fortunately for me, the stretch of road was completely devoid of other drivers, so I was able to make a full U-turn successfully. I sped up the engine and resumed my driving of 140km/h. Every time I was able to go out for a ride, I felt free. The wind that whipped at my face seemed to capture any worries along with it, and I was able to let go and feel one with the world.


As a main intersection ahead began to rapidly approach, I slowed down to the appropriate speed limit - so as to ensure protection from any roaming police officers in search of someone to victimize.

I continued on for a full fifteen minutes until I pulled into the parking lot of Oakridge high. The school was composed of faded red brick - that seemed to accentuate just how ancient the building was - two metal doors acted as the front entrance, and a sign that missed the ‘i’ in ‘Oakridge’. Founded in 1859, the school, as students were told, had been ‘refurbished in a way that modernized the facility to ensure students the best way of learning possible’. But I believed that they merely repainted what was in great disrepair, and replaced that which had no further use - for the school still looked like it had time-traveled to the 21st century from another.

 

I unbuckled my seatbelt and switched the engine off. Taking a deep breath, I got out, shut the door and locked the car. I reluctantly made my way towards the school.


Entering, I attempted to slide past the office unnoticed, but to no prevail.


“Rheanna Corwin. Fourth time this month?” the office lady inquired with slight irritation.


“Well you see, school is very important to me. When I feel incapable of learning to the best of my ability, I feel that I must take a break to refuel.” I answered, “And besides, I am on time for my next class. You should be proud.”


“Being late or missing ANY class is not anything to be proud of. I already sent your parents-”


“Parent.”


“‘Parent’, an email regarding your frequent absences. However, I feel it is necessary at this point to give your ‘parent’ a call.”


“Please, do so. However, I feel that he will not answer.” I replied with mockery, and began my walk towards class.


“Rheanna, I will not tolerate that rude behav-”


I paused and glanced back, “It’s Rhea.”


………………………



My legs dangled lazily off the bleachers as the coach yelled football formations.


I hated football. Although, I suppose I despised all activities requiring ridiculous patterns and unrelentless yelling from the coach.


“Rheanna, get on the field right this minute!” Coach Bill hollered with hints of aggravation.


I groaned. Reluctantly, I hopped onto my feet, adjusting my shorts. Not only did I already have to participate in gym to earn ‘easy’ credits, but we had to wear a repulsive uniform. It was comprised of knee length gym shorts, a green oversized tee, and vomit-colored runners. Quite the spectacle.

The coach tossed me the football - which I almost dropped - and made sure everyone was paying attention.


“Now Rheanna-”


“Rhea.” I interjected agitatedly.


“Rheanna, please make a pass to Anderson, making sure to follow the running play.”


I began to run with the ball, and after running for five seconds,


“THROW THE BALL! THROW IT NOW!”


I threw the ball towards Anderson, and as me and the class seemed to watch it perform an arch in the air slow-motion, it collided with his nose.


“Penalty! Rheanna, absolutely no hitting other players on purpose!”


“But I didn’t-”


“Off the field. NOW.”


I rolled my eyes, and exhaled with frustration. I walked back towards the bleachers and grabbed my bag. As he became occupied demonstrating what not to do in football - most likely using me as an example - I slipped out of the gym, into the locker rooms, and changed back into my regular clothes.


This time, I was able to slip past the office undetected, and I exited through the front entrance. Crisp, fresh air enveloped me and I inhaled deeply. Dark clouds hung overhead, but they did not bother me. I enjoyed a good storm and silently hoped there was one on its way.


The crunch of fallen leaves and a slight chilliness constantly present in the air indicated the rapid progress of Fall. Winter was swiftly approaching.


My feet seemed to have a mind of its own, as I absentmindedly strolled along the sidewalks of Ferncombe. It was a small town that consisted of tightly-packed homes, a few scattered stores, and a dusty movie theatre that was in desperate need of repainting. Although the population size was low, the amount of nature and wildlife was vast. You could turn your head in any direction and spot the Fil Wood. The forest stretched for miles upon miles, and had at one point been a tourist destination, but was now long forgotten.


The town of Ferncombe had been my home for what felt like an eternity. I could not recall any childhood memories within the area - due to a car collision when I was seven - but I was told of the many adventures I had undertaken by my elementary teacher, Ms.Gora.

I took in the beautiful array of orange and brown leaves scattered throughout the roads, the wind gently coaxing them into a rhythmic dance of intricate and complex patterns. A smile met my lips as I relished the beauty.


The sudden squealing of a car made me jump out of my reverie. It’s tires seemed to be out of control, it’s headlights blinding me. I stood paralyzed. Flashbacks of the collision flew through my mind.


“Rheanna, dear, would you like to stop for a treat on the way home?”


“Yes, mommy!” I giggled with pleasure.


My dad was driving, taking us home from our trip to the science museum. I was playing with the doll I had received for my birthday, and was engaged in a story of action, where the doll befriended an invisible being, and they both had to work together to defeat a monster.


My dad took a right, and continued in conversation with my mother. Suddenly, a car appeared out of nowhere. My mother screamed as it hit our car head-on. Glass shattered and pierced my skin. I was filled with terror as my arms flailed, and my eyes were momentarily blinded.  All of a sudden, my head banged against the side of the car, and everything went black.


I flinched as I recalled the memories. They seemed to take possession of my mind, forcing me to recount each and every detail.


The beeping of the heart monitor sung like a funeral hymn. My mother lay on a bed, looking anything but peaceful with the many tubes sticking out of various places of her body. Her face was partly obscured, with stitches and bandages covering her forehead and right side. I held back tears as I watched her. 


Although I had come out of the accident with countless bruises, scratches along with a few deeper wounds, I had been able to walk within three days. My mother, however, remained in what the doctors said was a ‘coma’. I asked what that was, and they said it was a problem with your health that made you sleep for a long, long time.


My dad sat in a position of pure grief, looking utterly devastated. As if the whole world had crashed down upon him.


As I watched the heart monitor’s regular pattern continue endlessly, it instantly switched to one consistent beep, and doctors rushed in. They pressed a sort of device to her chest, and I screamed as they hit a button and her chest was pulled upwards. They performed the routine multiple times, as a nurse restrained me from running over to her.


After a long few minutes, the doctors put down the devices and left the room, but not before the head doctor exchanged a few inaudible words with my father.

Once they were gone, the nurse let me go and I rushed over to my dad.


“What’s wrong with mommy?” I sobbed.


My father stood up slowly, tears flooding his eyes as he hesitantly glanced at my mother.


"Rheanna.” he whispered, as a single tear rolled down his cheek, “She’s gone.”


I was brought back to reality, where I remained standing on the sidewalk, facing the oncoming vehicle dumbly. It was approaching the pathway at a rapid rate. But just as I thought it would hit me, a mere two feet from myself,  the car was flung five metres away and the smashing of metal against concrete was heard as it rolled and flipped upside down. However, although the car should have been a complete wreck, it miraculously spun right side up by some invisible force, and the car was completely undamaged. I looked on with disbelief, blinking to try and clear my focus.


With a screech of the tires, it flew past me, but not before I catched a glimpse of those within the car. 


There were two people - the one in the passenger seat was wearing a black mask of some sort, and the other’s face I was unable to see. And with that, they were gone.


I was stunned with shock as I tried to slow my fast breathing. Confusion filled my mind as I attempted to grasp onto what had happened.


That car should have hit me. How did it fly back without anything hitting it? It denied the law of gravity. And no scratches - no visible dents? It was theoretically impossible.


“Holy, I need to chill out.” I muttered, rolling my eyes at myself.


Forcing the recent occurrence out of my mind, I decided to get my truck and head home.




© 2017 goddessofwriting


Author's Note

goddessofwriting
Here, I present to you the first chapter of my beloved book. Truly, I hope you enjoyed. As to be expected, the first chapter may seem slow - but that is how a book seems to go. :)

Thoughts?

-G.W.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on December 11, 2017
Last Updated on December 11, 2017
Tags: mystery, thriller, action, new, in progress, 2017, newbook, fantasy, paranormal, different, interesting, goddessofwriting, romance, moretocome


Author

goddessofwriting
goddessofwriting

Canada



About
Hello there! I used to be on here a lot years ago, but I was going through a lot of mental issues (still now, but back then I was very ‘Yeesh’ in how I would express that sometimes), an.. more..

Writing