The Wedding

The Wedding

A Story by GP
"

A short story I wrote for this writing contest I entered.

"

The Wedding

By: Garrett Pletcher

 

Arelie stared at herself in the mirror. The white dress was beautiful on her- she was willing to admit that. The lace was patterned and sewed onto the dress in such a subtle, yet striking, way. The train flowed elegantly behind her. As beautiful as she was in that mirror, Arelie did not feel as beautiful as she thought you should on your wedding day. Ever since she was a child, she had imagined herself getting married to the man she loved. How she’d be so filled with joy all she would be able to do was cry. Arelie wanted to cry, but not because she was happy. It was because today, in a matter of minutes, she would be forsaking the man she truly loved for the man her father wanted her to love.

A servant stepped into the room and Arelie quickly wiped away the tears that had formed in her eyes.

“It’s okay to cry on your wedding day; everyone does it,” the servant smiled sweetly. “It is time!” She placed Arelie’s veil over her face. Arelie immediately felt trapped, but hoped the veil would hide the pain written on her face. She took a deep breath and then walked towards the door. As she made her way down the winding stairs, several other servants appeared out of nowhere and followed closely behind her, carrying her train. Her clammy palms slipped on the golden rail of the staircase.

Arelie reached the last step. The huge double doors loomed over her like a monster ready to tear her apart. Two guards yanked on the handles. The doors slowly opened up with a low rumble.

Arelie could see the heads slowly turn her way. She froze at the entry way. A tear splashed lightly onto her hand as someone gave her a soft nudge from behind.

“Go on.” They whispered. Arelie stepped forward. Slowly, she began walking down the aisle. The music began immediately. The heavy curtains fell from the windows and sun light flooded the room. The glitter that had been sprinkled over her body now sparkled like jewels in the light. She was radiant.

Her soon to be husband was grinning at the altar. Arelie searched the room for the only face she wanted to see. Her father, the king, sat tall and bold on his throne, her mother beside him.

Arelie closed her eyes. She wouldn’t allow herself to shed one more tear. He wasn’t here. And why would he be? He had nothing to gain from being at this wedding. Only, she had been hopeful. If she could have seen him one last time before she got married to this stranger.

She opened her eyes. Immediately, his face was there, standing out from the others. Arelie wished she hadn’t seen him now. It was riddled with pain, as if someone had stabbed him, straight through the heart.

Arelie finally made it to the altar. Her future husband took her hands in his and the ceremony began. Arelie repeated all that she was expected to repeat but she couldn’t help think about him, About how much this must be hurting him.

“And now, the kiss!” These words brought Arelie back to the ceremony. This kiss was a seal. One that said, “I will forever be your wife. No matter the circumstances.”

Her future husband slowly pulled back her veil to reveal her face. Arelie forced a smile. Everyone waited breathlessly for the kiss. He pulled her in close, their lips almost touching. Arelie could feel her heart pounding, her breathing quickened. Everything inside of her screamed no…

 

Arelie’s feet moved before her mind could. The veil flew from her head and floated to the floor. She pushed her way through the crowd. A loud rip let her know that her train had torn from her dress. Arelie could see him watching her and she cried out for him.

“Ian!” They reached for each other. Arelie frantically searched for his hand. “We have to go-now!” she shouted over the shocked crowd.

Finally, their hands met. Together they tore through the crowd, never looking back. Her father’s voiced bellowed through the room and sliced through the crowd’s growing noise. He was shouting for his guards to arrest them. To arrest his own daughter.  

Arelie and Ian ran hand in hand, knocking horrified guests to the ground. If they could just make it to the woods. They bolted through the open doors, leapt over the front steps and took off across the lawn.

“Arelie! What if they shoot us down?”

“They won’t- I’m still his daughter!” she screamed. She could see the woods now. Only the gate and a bit more land separated them from their salvation. Ian threw open the huge gate. There was no stopping them now.

Arelie glanced behind them as they ran for the woods. Guards were chasing after them across the lawn. Her father was nowhere to be seen. Several low thuds caught Arelie’s attention.

“What the-“

“Hooves,” Ian breathed. Horses. They had horses. Arelie’s heart sank into her stomach. She was determined though.

“We can make it. If we just get into the woods, we can make it.” The woods were closer than ever; the trees towered over them, taunting them. The hooves grew louder.

They broke through the woods. Running through the bushes, trampling over the smaller plants, they sped through the woods at a frightening speed. A vine covered in sharp thorns caught Arelie’s dress and dug into her arm. She cried out and ripped the thorns from her skin. Blood streamed from the wound.

Ian slowed. “Are you alr- The horses came pounding through the trees. There was no time to answer him. Their hands found each other again. They ran for their lives. For each other. The horses lessened the distance between them. Arelie was growing weak.

“We have to stop.” She gasped. “I’m losing too much blood.” Ian hesitated. She squeezed his hand. “It’s okay…we’ll make it out of this.” They ran into the clearing, which held a small pond. Arelie doubled over, gasping for air.

Ian put his arm around her. “They’re coming.” Fear shook his voice.

“Let them come,” Arelie growled. She was tired of hiding. Tired of running. Tired of doing everything her father said.

The horses came into the clearing. Arelie stood up tall, though her body screamed with pain.

Guards jumped from their horses. Two grabbed Ian and put a knife to his throat.

“No!” Arelie screamed. Her father appeared then. “Father please! Tell them to stop!” He glanced down at her.

“He has broken the law. He must be punished,” his voice was void of emotion.

Arelie stumbled towards Ian but the other guards held her back. She struggled against them.

“Kill him.” Her father’s voice was menacing. Finally, Arelie broke free.

“NO! Stop! Stop! This isn’t his fault…I ran…I took him with me! It wasn’t his choice!” She was frantic. “It was my choice! Take my life!”

The guards stood frozen with the knife to Ian’s neck. Her father stared at her in silence for a long minute. His eyes were cold. He shifted his gaze from her to his guards, eyeing them for a moment.

Raising his right hand, he said, “Fine. Take her life.”

 

Arelie turned to face the guards. She shook with fear but her face showed none.

The guard lifted his knife.

“I love you,” she whispered.

Ian opened his mouth to speak.

The guard’s knife sank deep into his heart.

Arelie’s heart stopped. Her blood froze in her veins. Ian’s dying eyes met hers. A tear trickled down his cheek and fell to the ground.

What had she done?

His body crumpled to the ground and she fell to her knees next to it. Her shaking hands touched his lifeless body. Arelie turned to look at her father.

“Are you satisfied? I took your life,” he said. He got down from his horse and went over to her.

“Get up.” She refused. “Get up if you ever want to show your face in my kingdom again.” Arelie remained next to Ian’s body.

“As rule of this kingdom, I forbid you from ever stepping into the kingdom’s boundaries ever again.” He paused. “And as your father, I hereby disown you as my daughter. You have brought shame to this noble family. A daughter of mine would never act this way.”

With that, the king and his guards rode off, leaving her alone with his body.

Arelie turned him over and pulled the knife from his chest. She held his body close to hers and wept. After several hours, she picked up the knife and washed it off in the pond. Arelie slowly lifted the blade up to her face.

“On this day, I make a vow.” Her body trembled with rage. “I vow that before my 18th birthday, I shall ride into the kingdom and, with this blade, I will take the king’s heart as payment for the blood he has shed today.” Arelie stroked Ian’s face with the blade.

“Love will conquer all.”

 

 

© 2012 GP


Author's Note

GP
If anyone has an critiques, feedback or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
Added on June 27, 2012
Last Updated on July 1, 2012
Tags: short story, writing, contest, princess, fairy tale, fierce, rebellion, love, war, revenge, death, killed, magic

Author

GP
GP

FL



About
I am 17 years old and I've wanted to be a writer since I was 8 years old. I am madly in love with writing, music and tv shows. "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you li.. more..

Writing
Love. Love.

A Poem by GP


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by GP