Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by GP
"

Introduced to the main character and the life he lives

"

Chapter 1

I prepare myself to step into our might ruler’s throne room. The whole room is quite a sight to take in. A bright light seems to radiate through it, penetrating your pores and seeping into your bloodstream; stimulating your muscles. I’ve been called today because I’ve worked hard and expressed my unfailing loyalty to our ruler. Now it is time for me to earn my rightful spot as right-hand man to our ruler. Immediately, I am repulsed by the arrogant thought. No thoughts like that are acceptable! I was humbled to be given the opportunity to serve my ruler this way. To sit in the same room as him day after day is an overwhelming experience! I will be the warrior on the front-lines when we go into battle, be the first to receive all the news, and follow my ruler wherever he goes. He has ordained us a special name, a name that expresses purity. The name is “angel”, a nick-name of sorts. I think it actually started with servants like me, who become personal with our ruler.

I have waited for this day all my life!

I find myself standing outside the huge, golden doors that signify that you are standing outside his throne room. Before I go in, I close my eyes and take a deep breath. As I reach for the door, though, they open themselves and a thrilling warmth rushes over my body. I step in, my shoes, perfectly measured and fitted to the shape of my foot, clack on the floor. The floor is golden-plated with beautiful mosaic masterpieces that seem to be too big for the size of the floor but yet, all fit. I breathe in deeply, so that I can savor the unprecedented smell that comes from this room. I realize, in this moment of pure joy, that I am standing stupidly in the middle of the room. I look forward and see him sitting there, the ruler of our perfect society. While we are all stunningly attractive, he is the most attractive of all. His looks are unparalleled in the most unique way. He appears different than the rest of us, but also almost identical. His son is here too, as always, but in a complex way. Here but not here, if that makes any sense.

“Come here, my servant, my loyal follower, my child.” He speaks in his voice. A voice that rises above all others and calms at the same time. This is why he is our ruler- he’s perfect.

            I obediently walk to the bottom of the steps that lead to his throne and bow on one knee. He motions for me to stand up and I do.

            “I have summoned you here today, as you probably already know, to congratulate you and promote you. You have expressed undying loyalty to me and my cause-to spread love to all nations. For this loyalty, I am not only promoting you to the status of “angel”, but also as leader of all the rest. You will be my right-hand man. You will be the one I come to when I need something taken care of and I will trust you to remain loyal to me and keep my commands. Can you do this?”

            I smile broadly as I kneel once more. “Yes, my Lord. I will forever and always follow you.” I stand up and realize tears are streaming down my face uncontrollably. Love does this to you. And I do not love anyone more than I love my ruler. And vice-versa.

            “I know you are excited, and I know that your friends and family would like to celebrate your accomplishment with you. Do go back to your home and celebrate! Report to me in the morning and you shall begin your new reign.”

 

            I rush home quickly- with the biggest smile on my face. My family and friends are waiting inside and cheer as I walk in. I wonder what they would have done if I hadn’t gotten the promotion and they had cheered as soon as I walked in. That would have been awkward. But of course that would never happen.

            My mother ushers me to the kitchen table where an entire feast has been prepared in my honor. Everyone sits down and begins chattering and eating. There is so much food that it takes all afternoon for it all to go away. Food is endless here where we live. Everyone always has enough; no one is ever starving to death. Death is hardly heard of here. Death is a just a tiny, tiny spot in this entire journey we call life. At least that’s how I’ve always felt about the subject- I haven’t experienced it personally.

            My friend, Gabe, comes over and congratulates me on the promotion. Gabe is chief of our messenger department. He spreads news all over the place.

            “You get to be with him almost all the time right?” he asks. As I nod his eyes widen in awe. “What I wouldn’t give…” he trails off.

            “Do I detect a hint of jealousy in that voice of yours?” I ask, smiling. He knows I am joking. Gabe and I have been friends forever and not once have we ever been jealous of what the other has achieved. He picks up a piece of fruit from the table and bites into it. His eyes close in immense pleasure as the wonderful flavor the fruit fills his mouth. All our food just tastes absolutely incredible!

            “What exactly will you be doing besides sucking up to the king?” He asks through fruit and juice that trickles down his chin.

            I laugh. “Anything and everything he wants me to do I suppose. I hope for a big assignment right away. I want to be able to jump right in and just immerse myself in huge tasks.”

            “One step at a time!” Gabe says. I suddenly have the impulse to frown, for reasons unknown, at this statement. I catch the frown before it can form and turn it into a smile. What was that? For the second time that day, I am ashamed of myself.

            “How is the messenger job going? Any new exciting things I should know about?”

            “Not really- it has actually been kinda slow lately. I’ve been doing this for years though- the job goes through slumps and then will just pick back up again. I have a feeling I’ll have something on my hands pretty soon.

            “Gabe, let’s go!” Gabe’s sister peers around the corner. Gabe finishes off his fruit and stands up.

            “Congratulations again and I want to hear all about your first day at work tomorrow!” Gabe followed his sister out of the house. I look around and see mostly everyone has left by now. Only a few of my parent’s friends remain. I take the liberty to eat the majority of the left-over food. A half hour later and I am rubbing my stuffed stomach. All the food has made me drowsy and I realize I have a very busy day tomorrow. I make my way to my bed.

            As I close my eyes, I imagine what tomorrow will be like. What will he have me do? Will I help save somebody? Will I help him construct some grand plan to bring people into our perfect society? One thing is sure as I drift off to sleep- my life is going to be a huge extravaganza for now on.   



© 2011 GP


Author's Note

GP
Constructive criticism wanted but please don't be rude!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well written! I love the story line. The book's title and the information you gave made me fall in love with this book.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Added on March 25, 2011
Last Updated on March 25, 2011


Author

GP
GP

FL



About
I am 17 years old and I've wanted to be a writer since I was 8 years old. I am madly in love with writing, music and tv shows. "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you li.. more..

Writing
The Wedding The Wedding

A Story by GP


Love. Love.

A Poem by GP