Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by GP

Chapter 4

            We run through the front lawn; several nurses chase behind us. I have let go of James hand and leap over the fence. I turn around and notice James hurriedly climbing over the gate.

            “Jump! Come on we don’t have time!” I yell before taking his arm and yanking him over the gate. His feet hit the sidewalk and I pull him along again. We take off across the street. There is a loud commotion behind me and then James hand is ripped out of mine. I skid to a stop. One of the nurses caught up with us and has tackled James to the ground. I am not one for violence but drastic times call for drastic measures so I slam my fist into the side of the man’s head. He crumples instantly to the pavement. I pick James up off the ground and we continue to run. We do not stop until I am sure that we are no longer being chased.

            James spends several minutes catching his breath before speaking. “What am I supposed to do now? They will be looking for me everywhere!”

            “Go back home and continue with your life. If you live a normal life they will have no reason to take you back once they find you.” I prepare to leave. “Remember- do not go over the top again.” He nods his head.

            “Will I see you again?” he asks.

            “Sadly, I do not know if we will see each other again-at least while you are still living here. Goodbye, James.” I close my eyes. It is time to go back home.

            “Wait!” I open my eyes. “Thank you�"for everything you have done.” I nod my head- I do not have time for this now. I close my eyes again. A few seconds later, when I open my eyes again, I am standing in front of the throne room’s doors. My master will be very pleased with my success. Yes, I believe a reward is in order.

            The doors open and I step in, bow at the steps and then stand up.

            “I see you got James safely away from the asylum easily enough.”

            “Yes, it was no problem.”

            “But you did use some violence.”

            “I did- only it was completely necessary.”

            “I understand- violence is something I detest, but sometimes necessary.” For some reason, this statement enrages me. I want to scream back at him and tell him that I saw him beating that man to death. Sure, the violence was necessary but, now that I thought about it more, he sure had looked like he was enjoying. In fact, I remembered seeing the hint of a smile on his face. How could making a man bleed bring so much pleasure? And besides that, I knew what I was doing! If I was going to use violence it was because it was completely necessary. Didn’t he trust me?

            All these things I wanted to say to him but I didn’t. Instead I walked straight out of the room without waiting to be dismissed or letting him say anymore. I ran into Gabe outside of the throne room.

            “What was so important that you had to rush here this morning?” he asks. I do not look up at him while I answer.

            “I had to take care of this idiot i had helped the other day. He made a huge scene and was put in a mental ward. It was a really dumb task and I would not have had to waste my time on it if the guy wasn’t so dumb.”

            “I’ve never heard such harsh words come out of your mouth before. I really don’t feel comfortable standing here and listening to you bash someone like that.”

            “Well, Gabe, right now I could really care less what you feel comfortable about.”

            “What is your problem?”

            “I’m sorry- I’m just a little frustrated. Our master- he doesn’t seem to understand what I’m capable of anymore! He gives me a little warning about when and when to not use violence as if I do not know when violence is allowed and when it is not! Isn’t that why he hired me? Because I’m not as stupid as the rest of our people, because he doesn’t take me days and days to figure out how to do simple things?” I look at Gabe for agreement but he looks angry or hurt, or both.

            “I never thought I would hear you say such things about our people! You are calling the rest of us stupid!”

            “Not you, Gabe just-

            “Do not interrupt me! Now we have been friends for a very long time and I always work to see the best in you but you have gone too far this time! I think that this job as gone to your head!”

            I was outraged. “I am astounded by what you are suggesting Gabe! I am not an arrogant pig! If you want one of those look at our very own master!” I stop immediately after I have said it. Gabe looks at me with a state of shock on his face. “I didn’t mean that- I got carried away.” Gabe stares at me for a while longer and then storms off. I sink to the ground and sit in a ball. What have I said? I will be seen as a traitor! Will I meet the same fate as the man I had seen beaten? I am suddenly afraid for my life, for all I have worked for! It will all burn away as if thrown into a fire! I needed to be thrown into a fire! To be slapped across the face and have some sense knocked into me. This was not the way I needed to be acting. I immediately regret the things I have said- about our people, and about our master! How could I have said such stupid things! I stand up and begin searching for Gabe. I must ask his forgiveness before he tells somebody what I have said. Ruining my career and ruining my life.

 

            I search all over the place for Gabe before giving up and heading home. I head straight to my room and almost scream when I find Gabe sitting on my bed.

            “Gabe, I’ve been looking all over the place for you! What are you doing here?”

            “I felt bad for walking away like that.”

            “You felt bad? I feel bad! I’m sorry that I called our people stupid and you stupid and our master! Gosh, I should be murdered!”

            “No, you were just having a bad day. We all have those occasionally.  Also, I accept your apology.”

            “I am glad. You are a good friend Gabe and one that I do not want to lose due to my ill temper. Do you want something to eat? We still have plenty of food left over from my celebration party.”

            “I wish I could but I really have to get going. The job has been picking up here lately and I’ve been working several late nights. Tonight will be the first night in three days that I haven’t worked late and I want to get as much sleep as possible.”

            “Understandable, I will see you soon then.”

            “Yes hopefully soon.” Gabe stands from my bed and walks out the door. Before he leaves the hallway he stops and turns back to me. “Things are about to change, my friend, I can feel it in the air. Things are definitely about to change.” And with that ultimatum Gabe walks out of my house and leaves me to sit and ponder what that meant.



© 2011 GP


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on March 27, 2011
Last Updated on March 27, 2011


Author

GP
GP

FL



About
I am 17 years old and I've wanted to be a writer since I was 8 years old. I am madly in love with writing, music and tv shows. "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you li.. more..

Writing
The Wedding The Wedding

A Story by GP


Love. Love.

A Poem by GP