The Tire Impression

The Tire Impression

A Story by GregoryM
"

A short adventure story about how the first black tire might have been invented back in Queen Victoria's time around 1850.

"
  Her laughter drifted across the park and through the rain, to put a smile on my face as I sat sharing ice cream with my wife, Sally.

 "I think those two in the gazebo are on their first date" I whispered to her.

 She looked at the couple across the lawn as the young woman wiped ice cream from the gentleman’s nose.

     "I have never seen a man blush from across the park before," she added with a hand hiding her voice "I wonder if he’s as shy as he appears to be?"

     Sally always had a gift for judging a person's character.

As the sun nudged the rain clouds aside to shine through the mist, I noticed the two bicycles leaning against the gazebo.

     In this modern era of Queen Victoria, bicycles were becoming very popular.

    "Binney," Sally nodded towards the couple. "Did you notice the bandage wrapped around that unusual black tire over there on that bicycle? I thought all tires were white."

    “That’s interesting."

I stood up, reaching for her hand.

    The steam had begun to rise from the grass as we strolled over to the couple and their bicycles. As we drew nearer, we could see that the "bandage" wrapped around the mysterious black tire was a woman's silk glove.

    The gazebo was otherwise unoccupied, and I extended my hand by way of introduction to the happy couple. After the proper formalities were complete and all, comfortably seated, I gave in to my curiosity.

 "We noticed your unique bicycle wheels from across the way, and I would like to ask why they are black?"

    Lillian, as she was introduced to me, lifted her chin with a proud smile and declared "Phineas invented them just this morning. They are the first of their kind and the first in the world!"

    Phineas glanced at both of us and turned to Lillian.

 "Now Lillian," he said.

    Lillian folded her arms and locked eyes with Phineas "Tell them the story, Phineas."

    "Well," Phineas began, looking at his shoes. "It all started this morning when I had gone to see the blacksmith about some parts for my new bicycle. While waiting my turn, I saw the most beautiful woman I had ever laid eyes on waiting at the counter. Unfortunately, she appeared to be escorted by a gentleman. I must say; she made me feel a little warm around the collar!" he added winking at Lillian.

    "Anyhow, I finished paying for my purchase and went to my workshop over on the other side of town. I was assembling my bicycle when I discovered I was out of rubber with which to make the tires! So, back to town I went.”

    "During my return trip, I happened to pass by a shop wherein I saw her yet again! This time though, she was being escorted by a different man! I was torn about which to follow, my head or my heart as I went into the shop and out again, twice! In hindsight, it was fate that I saw her again, but at the time it bothered me greatly. Not just because she was being accompanied by another man, but because it was so difficult to speak to her."

     Phineas paused thoughtfully for a moment. "It was on my way back with my new supply of rubber that I saw the smoke coming from the back of the charcoal works."

     Sally's eyes went wide “Oh No!”

    Phineas went on "Running up to what appeared to be the front office, I began pounding on the door. I thought I heard someone, so I broke down the door, and a thick cloud of hot smoke billowed out. After tying my handkerchief over my nose and mouth, I crawled along the floor and discovered a man lying there. Dragging him by his collar, I got him out of the office and into the fresh air. The building was now completely engulfed in flames."

     "That was very brave of you Phineas," I said, looking him in the eye.

     "Just as my patient started to revive," Phineas continued, "the mystery woman and the two men I saw her with earlier, came rushing over!” Phineas grinned, “Imagine my surprise when I discovered Lillian was the daughter of the man I had just rescued, and the two gentlemen were his sons. The fire department had arrived by now, and everyone was busy with the disaster. I watched for a few moments but seeing there was nothing more to be done, I decided to return home."

    "I looked everywhere for you Phineas," Lillian looked downcast ", but I couldn't find you."

    Phineas smiled at Lillian. "Returning home, I discovered the new supply of rubber was full of black soot from the fire. But to my surprise and delight, the new tires I cast were stronger than the usual white, even though they were grey. So I added lamp black in sufficient quantity to make them entirely black. I am happy to report that the tires you see here,"  Phineas beamed proudly with a sweep of his hand over his bicycle, “are stronger than any tire that has been invented to date!" 

    Sally leaned forward, "That is truly marvellous Phineas, congratulations! But the white glove wrapped around the tire?”

    "Oh!” Lillian put her hand to her mouth laughing. "That's my silk glove. Phineas had a nail puncture in his tire, so I suggested he tie the silk glove over the nail to keep the hole plugged so the air won’t leak out!”
 
    Sally clapped her hands in glee “The both of you are so clever, what a lovely couple you make! I am curious though, how did you two finally get together?”

    Lillian smiled at Phineas, "Phineas brought his new invention over when he came to check on father. During his conversation, he related how it was the fire that gave him the idea for the lamp black. Then, to my surprise and delight, he asked my father if he might escort me on a bicycle ride through the park. Normally my father is very intimidating, but Phineas didn't bat an eye, and we all know a little quiet confidence goes a long way in a man.”

    Lillian paused and looked at Phineas. “Besides, it’s not every day one gets to thank the man who saved her father’s life, and his business.”

    Phineas stood up extending his hand to Lillian, "And it's not every day you get a second chance to impress a beautiful woman! But the best part," Phineas winked "was she said yes when I asked her out on a date."

 He turned to both of us, and standing a little straighter than most with a confident smile said, "It was a pleasure meeting you."     

    The happy couple pedalled their bikes out of the park, chatting away like lovers do, and I distinctly heard Phineas say "It's not easy impressing a girl you know."

     I will never forget Lillian's laughter. 

                        The End
 

© 2018 GregoryM


Author's Note

GregoryM
I am not sure which categories to choose so any suggestions would be welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a great story! The construction of your writing is near-perfect & your storytelling is unique & compelling. I’m quite amazed at the imagination in your storyline, so believable, the way you place the reader right into the middle of things with such amazing descriptions & conversations. It’s a real skill to tell most of a story thru dialogue & you’ve done this in a way that reveals so much about your characters. I’ll be sending you a friend request becuz I’m hoping you’ll be writing & posting many more delightful stories like this! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

PS -- I don't think anyone pays attention to categories or "search" words!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

GregoryM

5 Years Ago

Wow, thanks Margie. That is the most glowing feedback I have ever received. Thank you very much. I t.. read more



Reviews

This is a great story! The construction of your writing is near-perfect & your storytelling is unique & compelling. I’m quite amazed at the imagination in your storyline, so believable, the way you place the reader right into the middle of things with such amazing descriptions & conversations. It’s a real skill to tell most of a story thru dialogue & you’ve done this in a way that reveals so much about your characters. I’ll be sending you a friend request becuz I’m hoping you’ll be writing & posting many more delightful stories like this! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

PS -- I don't think anyone pays attention to categories or "search" words!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

GregoryM

5 Years Ago

Wow, thanks Margie. That is the most glowing feedback I have ever received. Thank you very much. I t.. read more
A very good read, engrossing delightful wonderful story telling done to perfection.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

GregoryM

5 Years Ago

Thanks very much, I'm glad you like it.
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

I look forward to reading more from you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 30, 2018
Last Updated on May 31, 2018

Author

GregoryM
GregoryM

Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada



About
Now that I'm semi-retired and in search of myself, I have stumbled upon writing. The previous thirty years as a television engineer with terrible handwriting forced me to type everything even before w.. more..

Writing
Life anew Life anew

A Poem by GregoryM