The Perils of Hugging in the 4th Dimension

The Perils of Hugging in the 4th Dimension

A Story by groisht
"

A child has a strange experience while hugging his mother.

"

I was young, young enough to still be getting used to hugs. I didn't quite have the hang of it. My hug-training was buffeted by numerous setbacks. On one particular occasion I accidentally hugged a stranger. I was on holiday with my family and we were walking through a town when a sudden storm started up out of nowhere. The storm arrived like a drunken uncle barging in through the back door. It ran straight up to the attic and started searching frantically for something related to its past amidst decades-worth of forgotten junk. The rain fell like clear, scentless diarrhoea so we went under the eaves of a cinema entrance with a lot of strangers and waited, watching the rain fall against the streetlights whose light was reflected in puddles that got perpetually deeper and wider. There was a roar of thunder that felt like a tiger had placed a walkie-talkie into my body and was trying to get hold of me from a far away jungle. I suddenly leapt for the comforting, human-pillow-like figure of what I thought was my mother, but which turned out to be a stranger who was wearing similarly dark clothing. The stranger I hugged must have wondered what she had done to deserve this show of intimacy from out of nowhere, of a kind that can only ever exist between a mother and her son. In no other hug is the pressure applied in just the right places and with just the right amount of firmness and tenderness. A father/daughter hug has the same quality, but for some reason, father/son hugs and mother/daughter hugs always have something missing. While my face was buried in the bosom of a lady I didn't know, I heard a voice call my name from behind me. I looked around. It was my mother. My actual mother, standing there like a phantom. My arms around the stranger, arms that thought they were hugging my mother, while my eyes were looking at my mother mother; for a split second I existed in a motherless dimension. Now, every time I hug someone, I have to stop mid-hug to check that I am hugging the person I originally intended to hug as the storm of that night comes back to me and that I feel in that exposed motherless moment, which, when you think about it, isn't really a hug at all.

© 2014 groisht


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Quite funny at some points. But also at the same time definitely makes me think abouts hugs. The way you put all this thoughts into hugs is incredible.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 23, 2014
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: hugs, hugging, children, kids, kid, child, mother, family, dimension, strange, bizarre, affection, love, existence, life, weird

Author

groisht
groisht

United Kingdom



About
I will end the misery here. more..

Writing
Dazed Dazed

A Poem by groisht


Marriage Marriage

A Poem by groisht