Private

Private

A Story by Ironbutt
"

short story to a a soldiers notebook.

"
           Private.....
 His Pop had told him to not let them get to know your name, stay below the radar and get to your next unit...that was all good  till the Cpl.
 He didn't know when it happened , just that it did. Maybe because he was already up when the Cpl went through the barracks in the morning before first call and dumped bunks.Maybe because  he was still there with the Gideon when the Cpl tried smoking everyone on some bullshit run. Or, just maybe because he knew the Cpl and his tag a longs were dipping into everyone hoagie bait  from mail call.Yes, that could have been, either way he had made the Clp's  s**t list. He had a name now...Private.
  He knew about the pending blanket party...overheard the Cpl and his tag a longs making the plan. Well, he had a plan too. The darkness filled the barracks yet he almost felt them before he heard them. The positioned themselves over his bunk, four of them..could feel them.He waited. Cpl wasn't going to be one of them, no, he would have to stay clear.. couldn't let this be pinned to him. The beating was interrupted by the rest of the Privates, who had finally had enough and were getting ready to turn on the lights, a violation that would surely bring the wrath of the Cpl again, never the less, they had had enough. The tag a longs sensed the danger and wisely broke contact.
  He laid there motionless..blanket covered with blood... blood wasn't his...... He counted the feet around him, they were friendly unbooted feet....then one set of shiny spit shined jump boots, he was safe now.  
  Slowly he slid out from under his bunk, his platoon let out the biggest war hoop that even brought a smile to the normally stone face Drill Sgt, who by now knew where his Cpl might be. The Drill Sgt uncovered the duct taped Cpl, who now covered with blood and bruises had just become the newest.....Private! 

© 2013 Ironbutt


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice little read. is it a real story from the barracks?? keep an eye on full stops, make sure there is always a space after them, and a few small word issues but otherwise well written :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ironbutt

11 Years Ago

Thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on January 5, 2013
Last Updated on January 5, 2013
Tags: adjustments, soldiers, team work

Author

Ironbutt
Ironbutt

Martinez, GA



About
Best at ease behind a BBQ grill, human to most, Vet, father, grandfather, biker, poet and lyric writer. Author of Red Clay Scholar, Tin Roof Memories, Mile Marker 101 and A Soldiers Notebook, all foun.. more..

Writing
Consolation Consolation

A Poem by Ironbutt