Melancholy

Melancholy

A Chapter by gunsintheground
"

"A list of things that make me happy, like that list that girl made online, of music and movies and poetry. I uncapped my orange pen and wrote out Happy List and underlined it twice."

"
I thought; that'll be nice, a list of things that make me happy, like that list that girl made online, of music and movies and poetry.  I uncapped my orange pen and wrote out Happy List and underlined it twice and set my pen on the paper and

drew a complete blank. I thought of songs and things I do and books I read and my mind flitted about frantically, trying to grab at these thoughts but not getting anywhere. So then I was thinking "There isn't anything that makes me happy? How isn't there anything that makes me happy?" And I was horrified to feel my eyes prickling and that sort-of headache behind my nose and my fingers were so, so cold against the paper and my stomach hurt and there was a single orange dot on the page under Happy list, so I thought, okay I like that one actor- I'll put his name down. But then I felt queasy that the first thing on my list of things that make me happy was the name of a man I'd never met, and doesn't know I exist, so I scribbled it out, and I touched my pen to the paper again so there were two dots, and neither of them had a happy thing and I didn't want to do this any more so I closed the book and put it away and figured- I'll think of something later right? Something will come to me and I'll write my list and it will be full of things that make me happy. Later.


© 2012 gunsintheground


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on December 2, 2012
Last Updated on December 2, 2012
Tags: essay, short essay, melancholy


Author

gunsintheground
gunsintheground

United Kingdom



Writing