I Remember

I Remember

A Story by Hailey ♡
"

For anyone who has ever lost anyone close to them. May them rest in peace and prayers are with you.

"
I remember the day my grandfather died.
October 31, 2013.
It started off as any other day..
I woke up and I went to school, just like everyday.
When I came home though, things were different. My mom was home but my dad wasn't, and my grandma was over. I walked into the house and my mom practically bombarded me and embraced me with a huge hug. Fairly confused, I asked my mom what she was doing home from work so early. She told me that she had something to tell me and she wanted me to sit down. My mom never does this so I was extremely worried and still very puzzled. She started talking, but she couldn't manage to get the words out without crying. By this point, I myself am beginning to panic because I thought something happened to my dad. My grandma then puts her hands on mine and breaks the news..
"Hailey, your Poppy passed away this morning."
I was in actual shock. I looked her in the eye and nodded for a quick second, then turned to face my mom who was in tears. I excused myself from the living room and walked back to my bedroom. I kicked my sneakers off, laid down on my bed and attempted to recall every memory I ever had with my Poppy. The last of them being my Uncle's wedding, 4 months prior.
And then I lost it.
I hadn't spoken to this man in nearly four months and then just like that he was gone. We had so many wonderful memories together, he played such a large part in raising me. I felt and do still feel so absolutely awful about not having spoken to him for such a petty reason. 
Although it didn't seem very petty at the time. 
I can say that I learned a lot from that experience. 
Never EVER take your loved ones for granted. 
They are all you have once everything is said and done. I wish I had reached out more to him and tried harder to see him,
Even though he didn't want much to do with my family and myself.
I wish I could take everything back, I wish I could see him and hug him one more time.

© 2016 Hailey ♡


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

85 Views
Added on July 13, 2016
Last Updated on July 13, 2016
Tags: memories, life, feelings, death

Author

Hailey ♡
Hailey ♡

About
Twenty. Tommy. Aspiring Journalist. more..

Writing