Part 2

Part 2

A Chapter by H.D. Murphy
"

Read on with Ana and Jared as they adventure into Jared's town.

"

Part 2 �" Rebuilding

 

I walked down the market street, dodging an oncoming child. He had to be about three or four, screaming at the top of his lungs. The sound was barely audible among the loud market goers. I bent down to the child, his curly brown hair ringlets around his face, snot running down into his mouth.

            Hey there, whats wrong? I asked, kneeling. My face was now level with the boys. His eyes were a dark green and full of innocence. The small child was about to answer when I heard a shallow thud to the right of me. I turned to see a young woman bending down, reaching for a fallen apple. Her face was hidden in a nest of black hair, tucked under a dark brown hood. She was dressed in a brown cloak, her skin pale in comparison. Her face was beautiful and elegant, her eyes a deep blue that reminded me of the ocean right after sunset.

            Guards! I heard the merchant cry, pointing at the woman. Her eyes filled with fear as she saw two men sprinting towards her. She dropped the apple, turned and ran; her hood falling down and releasing her waist-long black hair. I stepped up to the merchant who was shouting after her.

            Ive got her, I said, passing him a golden coin. I picked up the apple she had dropped back into the bucket. He looked at me, incredulous. The guards came to speak to the owner of the stand, but the bald man waved them away, biting onto his new coin.

            I went the way the woman had, wondering where she had gone. I passed the apple between my calloused hands, cautiously avoiding the cracks in the stone streets. I had always loved the city of Aora. Art was everywhere, the brick buildings warm and inviting. The different colored stones paled with the heat of the sun. I came to an ally between a restaurant and a hat store, the only sensible place to run to, when I saw her robe sticking out behind a basket. I could hear her breathing from the entrance of the ally. I resisted the urge to laugh.

            If youre going to get in trouble for stealing, you might as well take the apple, I said tossing it into her lap over the basket. She looked up at me over the top, confusion in her eyes, but she deviously took a bite of the apple, smiling. My breath caught at her white teeth and the graceful way she stood.

            Ill try to remember that the next time I get framed, she said, holding out her hand, Im Theresa.  I took it, feeling the baby soft skin against my fingers.

Im Gabriel. Named after the angel, I answered, releasing her hand. I looked at the sky nervously. The sun was setting into a beautiful array of red, orange, and yellow. I knew my curfew for the crew. I would lose my position in the crows nest if I was late. I saw her smirk as she glanced over towards the ocean, her eyes reflecting the setting sun. Her beauty reflected into my heart. I knew I couldnt leave her.

I also work on one of those ships. I bet its got the best view of this sunset, I went on, smiling at her.  Her blue eyes brightened and shone with light that made the sunset look plain.

Then we shouldnt be standing here, She responded, moving her way out of the ally and into the busy street. I followed her and let her take the lead once we had moved into the public. As I watched her walk among the people, I couldnt help but wonder if I could ever capture a beauty like hers.

 

************************************************

 

I woke up in Jareds arms, just as comfortable as I remembered them from my brief vision the day before. I could feel the muscles in his arms and chest moving along my side and legs, making me feel more aware and uncomfortable than I should have been. I opened my eyes and watched Jared for a moment. He had blonde hair and tanned skin. I realized it wasnt sun kissed at all, but seemed to naturally be darker. His brown eyes looked distant and focused as he walked. I cleared my throat, startling Jared out of his deep inner thoughts. Instead of dropping me in shock, his grip became tighter. I yelped in pain. He set me down on my feet, a muddled apology under his breath. The rocks moved under my feet as I held onto his arm, the world spinning.

            You shouldnt be standing, I heard him say through the fog of my mind. I kept my eyes closed, becoming nauseous from the dizziness.

            I want to walk, I said, a final note to my tone. I let go of his arm and took an uneasy step forward, my muscles shaking with exhaustion.

            If you wont let me carry you, at least sit for a moment, Jared said, exasperated. I did as he said and sat down, almost falling to the ground, feeling the cold stone underneath me. I ran my hands over the uneven ground, thinking how painful it would be to walk on my bare feet. I could feel the small rocks and stones underneath my toes as I flexed them. I opened my eyes and saw Jared leaning over me, concern in his facial expression.

            Im fine, I said, my tone more curt than I had intended. The older man just smiled and shook his head a little.

            Stubborn, just like your mother, he replied, a small smirk rising the corner of his mouth. He sat down beside me, facing the wall in front of us.

So, its true, I said, keeping my eyes on the floor, You helped my mother escape.

            Escape? It was more like a kidnapping, if anything, Jared said nonchalantly, his fingers running along the rocks.

            And why would you kidnap her? I asked, my tone sharp.

            Your father made me take her. I didnt want her, just as much as she didnt want to leave.

The silence that followed was tense. I glanced around my surroundings, trying to avoid looking at Jared. The wall was made out of the same damp brown stone that we were sitting on. There were lights among the top of the tunnel, ones I had never seen before. They were connected to some sort of string and had a harsh blue glow.

            Why do the lights look like that? I asked, feeling his gaze shift to me. I kept my eyes on the lights, embarrassed I asked.

            Theyre called string lights. They used to put them on trees and houses for celebration a long time ago, but your father liked how flexible they were and used them to light up passages.

            I turned to him, incredulous. They called them Christmas trees, right?

            He nodded his head, his eyes wide. Yep. Some weird tradition, if you ask me.

            I agreed with a nod and stared at my feet. How could I know the word Christmas tree and not be able to picture it or know what it was? We sat in silence, the brown of the floor turning blurry as my eyes filled with tears. I could feel Jareds stare, but instead of voicing any concern, he stood above me and offered his hand. I stood up and took it, taking a few stabilized steps. I let go of his hand to show I was prepared to walk on my own. His smile encouraged me as we walked on, the sound of his boots hitting the floor of the tunnel.

            Where are we going? I asked quietly.

            To my home. Youll be safe there, he answered. A nervous laugh escaped me. Our eyes met and I could see the uncertainty.

            Now, why would I believe that? I asked, the tone playful as I broke the gaze.

            Its worked for your mother. It should be safe for you too, he replied. I nodded.

            When do we go back for Daniella? I asked, my tone serious. Jareds eyes narrowed. He smirked slowly at the suggestion, his head shaking side to side.

            After what I just saw her do to you, Im hoping we never have to go back again.

            I was about to answer him when he grabbed my arm and held his finger to his mouth, his attention on the tunnel ahead. I nodded to show I understood. He put two fingers up to his mouth and blew, creating an awful high pitched noise. I fell to my knees and covered my ears. Jared didnt move as a sound was mimicked back at us at a slightly lower pitch. He looked down at me and pulled me up.

            Were here.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************

 

Samantha! I called out above the crowd, pushing through the throng of people. I could see the Lashua and her husband, the Leader, sitting on thrones high above the people. The Lashuas beautiful brown hair was let down messily, the skin beneath her eyes darkened from lack of sleep. The Leader wasnt looking too good himself, his beard a dark gray and posture slouched. I knew they were going to be replaced soon. I also knew the best replacement. My eyes swung down to their daughter, plain in comparison to her beautiful mother, but my way into power. I ran up to the royal family, climbed the stage, and knelt in front of the Lashua, kissing her thin hand.

            Aaron, you almost missed your own fathers return, She said playfully, her tone light.

            I couldnt live with myself if I had, I joked back, taking my place beside the princess. Her eyes were a deep brown, the same as her fathers, with the matching hair color of her mother. Her skin was paler than her teeth, her nose was crooked from a long ago fist fight, and her lips were permanently placed in a snarl.

            Where were you? She demanded, her eyes not removed from the cave entrance.

            I believe youve underestimated the distance it takes to run here from the blacksmithing shop. Also, this crowd is enormous. They want to see who Jared could have possibly found from the outside.

            Her eyebrows rose. Dont you know? Its just some bloke from the outskirts of Aora. Nothing to fuss about.

            I felt the disappoint sink in. It had been quite some time since anyone new had shown up to the town. I had heard a rumor that it had been over ten years. I looked down over the sea of people dressed in white, their faces shining with hope at the entrance.

            Aaron, you need to stop being so late. What if father doesnt approve? Dont you know whats at stake? She whispered, her tone harsh.

            Suddenly, we heard the distinctly high pitch of a whistle. It echoed through the cavern, bouncing off the walls of the city. The crowd became deathly silent as they waited for the Lashua to respond. No one dared to turn to look at her, but I watched as her face became more energized and her lips formed a smile. She took two fingers and held them to her lips and responded to him, her pitch slightly lower.

            Jared stepped out into the light, applause meeting him. His white attire was covered in dust and some brown patches. He raised a hand toward us, his smile looking a bit forced. Out of the darkness behind him stepped in a girl. The crowd took a breath and went silent. Her hair was a bright color I hadnt seen anywhere but in the fire of the forge. I felt my breath leave me. Her attire was simple enough, a long gray dress stopping short of her neckline, all the way down to her feet and finger tips. Her hair spiraled crazily around her.

            Jared looked at her and nodded. She raised her hand to the Lashua and the crowd erupted in applause. The Lashua rose her hand back in approval.

            Well, this is something new, the Lashua murmured to her husband. I cant imagine how her hair could be of that color. What is it again?

            The Leader shrugged, just as lost as she was.

            The color is red, your highness, I offered, feeling the cold stare of my future wife.

            Red. she said, smiling, What a nice color!

            The two moved through the crowd slowly. Jared answered questions patiently as the townsfolk asked for news from the outside. His guest was not as comfortable, her fidgeting obvious from where I stood high above the crowd. As they got closer, I could see the dark circles under her eyes and the concern in his grimace. My father kept checking on her, his hand guiding her arm through the crowd. The two finally reached the stage. They climbed the three black stairs leading to the throne, Jared dropping on his knees. The unknown girl stayed standing, looking up at our Lashua, confused. Before I could tell her to drop, my father began.

            Lashua the Graceful, please welcome a peasant girl from the outskirts of Aora. She has never been to a society before and will need housing, Jared explained, his eyes never leaving the Lashuas bare feet.

            Is this stay permanent? She asked, a smile playing on her lips as she looked over the young woman. The girls gray eyes matched her attire. She never lifted her gaze from the eyes of our leader, something considered disrespectful. I was getting chills from watching the interaction.

            Its an unknown time period. Itll be longer than I had previously expected, Jared answered, still kneeling.

            The Lashua nodded and stood up, leaving the face of the girl and addressing the crowd. Accept her as one of your own. She will be here for quite some time. Well do for her as was once done for us. Her words were met with applause. She smiled back down at the girl.

            And what is your name, child? She asked. The red haired girls eyes wandered to the queens left hand side, past Samantha and to me. Our gazes locked and my breath left me.

            My name is Enna, she said weakly. But then her gaze intensified and her voice became stronger. Enna Ruisho, a small smirk escaped onto her face, and what is yours?

            You may refer to me as Lashua, she answered. Ennas eyes didnt leave mine as her smirk disappeared. She finally broke my gaze, and when I looked away, I met the questioning eyes of my fiancé.

            Jared, I suspect she will be under your custody for the night. We are unprepared for her stay. Well make sure to set her up in the questioning house tomorrow evening, the Lashua said, starting down the stairs of the stage. Jared looked up, the color of his face drained.

            Is the questioning really necessary? He asked, a pleading tone in his voice.

            We do this to all strangers, she responded, her eyes narrowing, I thought you, in particular, would remember that.

            I saw my father swallow deeply. He looked at me, as if I could have any power in the womans decision making. I shook my head slowly. He stood up and bowed to the Lashua. Enna bowed along with him. As Jared turned, Enna took his arm. Our eyes touched once more as they walked out of the clearing.

 

*************************************************************************

Well, I said as Jared and I walked, who was that?

            A very powerful woman, he answered, his head pointed to the ground. My face turned red as I realized that wasnt who I was referring to. But I kept the misconception to myself as I scrutinized the town. The buildings were made of dark stone. It was almost black and was shiny, looking smooth to the touch. I saw no windows and only a gap for a door, some sort of material covering each of them.

            They call her the Lashua, Jared went on, unaware of my embarrassment, its a position of power thats craved by most. Shes the political leader of the town. She makes all decisions on laws and policies- one of them being that she has to meet all visitors before they enter our sanctuary.

            I nodded to show I understood. Jared kept talking about the inner works of the town. I drowned him out as I looked up at what I thought was going to be the sky, but I saw a cavern.

            Jared, what is that? I cried out, stopping in my tracks. He looked up with me, a small smile on his face.

            Where we stood was almost directly in the middle of what looked like a giant cave. I could look up to the ceiling, almost looking as large as the sky itself. There was one large ball of light in the center of the ceiling, bright and glaring. It was obvious that it was supposed to resemble the sun, but it gave off a light with a blue tint.

            We call it sol. Its supposed to resemble the sun, he explained, continuing to walk.

            What is it made up of? I asked, amazed. Jared chuckled, holding my arm and moving me through the throng of people heading home.

            Youll have to ask the woman who made it, He answered.

            I was about to respond when he took a hard left, pulling me with him into a space between two buildings.

            What are we- I started to ask when he put his hand over my mouth. The ally he pulled me into was dark. I hadnt realized it was there. It was covered and look like another door to a room, but I realized there was light on the other side of the alley.

            We were followed, he whispered into my ear. I pushed him away from me as I inched closer to the opening. I looked out cautiously, making sure I was out of sight. I could see the people moving to and from their homes. Most of the citizens white clothes were smudged with dirt, except one girl who was standing towards the side of the square, her white cloak untouched.

            Who is she? I asked Jared. He inched up closer to me. I pointed her out and watched his expression turn sour.

            Its a long story, he said, and surprisingly, this isnt about you. Stay here, Ill be right back.

            Before I could ask any questions, he jumped out into the square behind a throng of men. He walked up to the woman. I watched the interaction, intrigued. He spoke once and she turned at him, angry. Her hair was black and her skin was darker than Jareds. I was amazed by how beautiful she was, even from a distance. As they spoke, he grabbed her arm and led her to a building. It had a blue curtain in the doorway. As he opened it to go inside, she turned back. Our eyes locked for a moment. She smirked and followed Jared in.

I felt myself begin to panic. I looked around the clearing and saw a house with the curtain tied to one side, leaving a small opening. It had people moving in and out and I concluded that it was a shop. I could see people leaving with food. I stepped out of my hiding space, my stomach grumbling with each breath.

 

*******************************************************

 

The center of town was thankfully busy as I walked up towards the messenger post. I had left Ana in the alley to save her from the politics she no longer had to be a part of. I stood behind the woman with the perfectly clean robe.

            Jared. I always thought you were an honest man, but someone who uses the Guardians alleys to hide cannot be truthful, the girl said, her long nails chipping at the rocks she faced.

            And I always thought the Guardians would never go against their Lashua, Jasmine, I countered. She turned to me, her bright green eyes glowing with hatred.

            I thought you were on our side, she snarled, her hand reaching for something under her robe.

            I never said I wasnt, I replied, but this conversation shouldnt be held here. We never know who may be listening. I went into the trading post, moving the blue curtain. I let it fall behind me, hoping it closed on her face. Jasmine was never a fan of chivalry.

            The post was busy with work. There were wooden tables with written letters covering the top and men bent over papers with people huddling over them, telling them the words they wished their loved ones to hear. The scribes white clothes were covered with ink.

            Is that your new wench? Jasmine asked, coming in behind me. I ignored her comment as I led her to an empty table. She never missed a detail, even if it wasnt for her to know. I felt her smirk before I saw it.

            Well, I dont care who youre sleeping with, but she looks a bit young for you, she went on, grabbing a letter as she walked and ripped it open. I didnt answer as she turned the letter over. We both sat down. She grabbed one of the pens off of the table and started to draw, her eyes focused.

            So, guess what the Commander of the Guardians from Aora wanted to say about our plan? the young woman asked, smirking.

            Impossible? I guessed, watching her draw a map of the Rulers quarters.

            Brilliant, she responded smugly. I raised my eyebrows in disbelief. Shell be on our side, when it comes to it.

            Im impressed. Truly, I countered, snarky. And when will it, how did you say it, come to it?

            She stopped drawing and her eyes narrowed, Thats for me to worry about. Just keep the information coming about Gabriel.

            I stayed silent as she finished the drawing of the house. I watched how her straight hair fell into her eyes. I had the sudden urge to move it behind her ears, to comfort her. Ever since she became the Leader of the Guardians, shed been overly hostile and obsessed with the overthrow.

            Show me all of the entrances to the house again, she said, passing me the pen and paper. She hit her hands on the table angrily and stood up.

            And stop looking at me like that. Im not a child anymore. I dont need your comfort.

            I ignored her comment and focused on the paper. I knew all of the ways in by heart. I drew them slowly, perfecting it the best I could. She had me do this at least once a week. I knew she was doing it desperately. It was the last piece to her puzzle. But I also knew she was lonely, and no matter how many times she said it, I knew she wasnt okay. Anyone who was nineteen and running an army wouldnt be.

 

**************************************************************

I walked into the shop and was amazed. It was made of the same brown rock as the outside, but they had slit small windows at the very top in circles, and using some sort of shiny surface to let the light bounce in multiple directions. They had wooden shelves lined with different types of breads and random berries. I saw herbs and products I had never seen before. I couldnt put a name to some of the objects. The openings along the walls were was lit with candles. People were busy among the shelves. It smelt like a mixture of sweat and herbs. I looked around, afraid. I didnt see any payment happening. People were walking in and out with food, no other transaction. I reached for an apple off of one of the wooden carts, the skin smooth on my fingertips.

            Can I help you? A voice asked sharply. I dropped the apple in surprise. I heard the thud and I knelt down to get the fruit, muttering an apology. I stood up and looked at the questioner, catching my breath. The boy had to be about my age or a few years older, his hair the color of the ground, and his eyes the color of a green tree mixed with a sky blue. His face had scruff along his chin. His arms were broad and muscular, reminding me of Jared in height but this man was thinner and longer. He was wearing a white uniform like the rest, but had a brown apron over it.

            Miss? Can I help you? he repeated, his eyebrows coming together in concern.

            Oh! No. Well, actually yes, I said, blushing at my embarrassment. How can I keep this apple?

            He looked at me, confused. You keep it. I looked down at the apple in my hand, lost at the concept. I just took it without paying for it? It suddenly dawned on me that it shouldnt seem wrong. I hadnt ever stepped into a shop before. Who was I to say what I should and shouldnt pay for?

            Thank you, I said, starting to turn away.

            Wait! Are you the new girl? he asked, pulling me back with his eyes.

            Is it that obvious? I joked, glancing down at my outsider apparel. He laughed and I joined in.

            Yes. Im Charlie, by the way, he said, holding his hand out. I stared at it, confused. I put my hand into his, as if I were going to touch a flame. He held my fingertips, puzzled, then kissed my hand. And your name?

            Enna, I answered, smiling shyly.

            Enna? What an unusual name, he said, returning the smile. I was about to answer when I felt someone grab my shoulder, turning me to them. I met Jareds angry eyes. He took my arm and dragged me out of the shop, mumbling incoherently.

            How dare you leave that spot?! I thought I lost you! he whispered angrily. His grip was tight on my arm and I yelped as he pulled me further forward. He let go of me and walked ahead of me, still grumbling.

            How dare you leave me? I was terrified! And, not to mention, starving, I growled angrily in reply. I realized I was still holding the apple. I took a bite out of it and loved the satisfied crunch it made. The taste was sweet and tart at the same time. Jared stopped in his tracks and grabbed the apple out of my hand.

            Where did you get this? he asked.

            The shop, I said, my mouth still full.

            You stupid girl, Jared said, walking forward again. That will cost me at least twelve swords. His outburst met silence as I tried to understand what that could possibly mean.

            Jared sighed in frustration, Im a blacksmith. You noticed no one was paying for anything? Yeah, they keep a tab of what we owe. We pay it by trade instead of by gold. It makes it so we will always have work and we will always have food.

            I nodded, trying to understand.

            And apples are expensive, he said, slowly smiling at me. Have you ever had one before?

            I shook my head no. He took a bite of it and threw it back to me. I caught it and took another bite, savoring the taste. I held it as if it were made of gold. I ate it until about half was left. I saved the rest for my mother, hoping Id see her that night.

            Jared and I kept walking down the road, the strange houses becoming smaller in size and they became more spread out, making the cave feel much larger than it did while in the town square. It felt like the outskirts of a city, memories of different times and places plucking at my mind. As I stared at the small rock houses, it would flicker into a wooden shack with a field full of daisies.

            Are we almost there? I asked, becoming fearful of the oncoming visions.

            He nodded and walked up to one of the houses on the left side of the road, different than the rest. It looked like a triangle with a hole in the roof of the building. There was no door I could see. Unlike the rest of the houses of the block, there was no try at decoration. Most of the houses had attempted some path from their house to the road or had tried to make something out of the stone, like a bench or sculpture. He walked to the other side of the building, which was much bigger than I had seen, and opened a door in the ground. My mouth dropped open, amazed.

            You want me to go down there? I asked him as he held the door open for me, looking at me expectedly. He smiled mischievously and went down himself. He let the door fall with a bang. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, the fear of being underground overwhelming me. I shook my head at my stupidity, realizing I was in some sort of tavern that was probably underground, and went after him, opening the door and taking the stone steps leading down to my mother.

            The stairs were uneven, opposite of the perfect stone steps from the library to the meeting room. They were all different sizes and looked as if rocks were just stacked onto one another. I held the wall, afraid of falling my way down. The wall was dry and had cracks along the inside, wide enough for me to hold on to. The stairway was dark, but there was a warm light reflecting off of the walls, making the brown a calming red.

            I stepped onto the floor, stabilizing myself. The room I had just stepped into was filled with furniture made from stone, but it also had fabric or cushions on top of it. There was a stone table, a large candle sitting in the middle with a strange, soft fur that laid on the top of it. It was brown like the shop keepers hair but made me shiver at the thought of where it could have come from. The table had stone chairs around it. One wall had a large chest made out of wood, but a different wood than my dresser. The other side of the wall had a shelf with tons of cans on it floating with strange objects. There were two open holes on both sides of the room, leading further into the house. I stood still and listened carefully, hoping to get a clue of which opening to go into, but I heard nothing.

            I grabbed my hair and spun it nervously, my thoughts becoming harder to grasp as a memory tried to push its way through. I closed my eyes and grabbed my head, fighting it. But the force was too strong and suddenly the air felt different. I opened my eyes and saw the room, but it was full of people. My mother sat on one end of the table, her hair up in braids, falling down onto her back. Her eye lids were smudged with a black ash, her dress a deep green. A silver piece sat on her head and her expression was blank. Next to her stood my father, his clothing matching hers, also wearing a silver thing on his head. They were facing the same woman I had faced earlier that morning, the woman the town called the Lashua. Her husband was strangely absent and Jared stood beside her as she sat across from my mother, the air filled with electricity.

            This is incredibly unprofessional, My mother said, her voice monotone. To catch the Lashua consuming alcohol, and in the home of a man that is not hers, is sickening. The womans face did not leave the table. Her eyes were filling with tears. But Jareds reaction was the opposite, staring at my mother and her lifeless eyes.

            We apologize and ask for your forgiveness, Jared said, his tone harsh.

            And youll receive it, my mother answered, still staring, but only on one condition.

            Anything. Please, the Lashau said, her tone desperate.

            We need your first born son, my father commanded.

            Why would you need him? she asked, distraught.

            Personal reasons, my father answered, turning towards Jared. Unless youd like to give up yours?

            Jared turned away from him and looked into the other room. I stood and followed him and looked with him, but beyond the room was un-seeable. It was black, as if the stage was only that specific room. 

            No. No, this was my fault. But I dont have any children, she said, looking at her hands. Plus, a seer once told me I was to only have girls. What then?

            My mothers eyes lifted from the table. Shes wrong. Youre with child now. As am I. Both women reached for their stomachs, one smiling and one cringing.

            If I do this, youll leave us both alone? The Lashua said, her eyes narrowing at the royal couple.

            As much as we can, my father said sweetly.

            My vision went black. I closed my eyes and grabbed my head, a sudden pain bursting through my mind. I opened my eyes again, now laying on the floor, Jared kneeling over me. From the angle I was laying at, I could see the gold flakes in his warm brown eyes. They were filled with concern. His eyes had circles under them, his weariness showing.

            Can I ever leave you alone or do you always cause this much trouble? he said, sitting me up. I rubbed my eyes, my head no longer pounding.

            So, youre friends with the Lashua? I asked, looking up at him. His eyes widened.

            Its complicated, he said, standing up. Would you like to see your mother or not?

            I stood up with him and followed him through the door on the left, entering a kitchen. Everything here was also made out of stone, except for another wooden chest. The chest was closest to the door and was lined with stone counters. There were random objects sitting on them and miniature shelves created into the walls were I saw silverware and plates. We moved through the room into a curtained-off room filled with random things. My memory tingled again, familiar with the things in the room. There were swords and shields, armor, spears, and other things that were obviously crafted by him. There was a shelf full of smaller pieces, things like arrow heads and keys. It fit an entire part of the wall. He pushed the shelf aside to show a crawl space hole, one barely big enough to fit a person on their hands and knees.

            I looked up at him for permission and he nodded, granting me entrance. He gave me a candle and lit it. I entered the dark hole, my hand feeling the ground for where to go. The tunnel was rough and hurt my hands and knees, the rocks becoming stuck in them. I switched the candle between my hands, the light barely illuminating my path. I heard Jared enter behind me, pulling a set of armor to block the entrance to the crawl space. The tunnel twisted and curved as we went on. It became big enough to stand in.

            How much farther? I asked, wiping the dirt off of my now dirt streaked dress.

            Not much, but stay quiet. Someone may hear us, he whispered, leading the way ahead of me. I watched the flame, dancing with each step I took, hoping my mother was safe. As we walked, I could make the appearance of a yellow curtain blocking the doorway. Jared glances at me and our eyes meet momentarily. He looks tired, but he gives me a reassuring smile and nods towards the opening. I open the curtain hesitantly, the brown walls reflecting the candle light within.

            Her back was to me, sitting on a wooden crate and her elbows on a stone desk, her head in her hands. Her white gown was now a musty brown, filled with the dirt and dust of the cave. Her hair was up in a bun, small pieces she had missed fell down her neck. She turned to look at me, her eyes red from crying. Suddenly I could see myself, standing awkwardly in the doorway, holding my breath. I could feel my mothers chest tightening up in fear, her throat choking back a sob. I closed my eyes, not wanting to be in her mind, but I just watched my eyes close from her view.

            Ana. Its okay, she said, standing and walking towards me. I lifted my arms and eyes towards her, but the effort was too much. I watched my body fall and Jared enter, alarm in the tightening of his eyes.

            Ana, listen to me. I can teach you how to control this. Picture your body, picture seeing life through your eyes, try to go back into your body.

            Jesus Ana, can you ever stay on your feet? Jared grumbled, worry seeping into his sarcastic tone. He picked up my body and I watched with amazement through my mothers eyes as he put me down onto the desk. He reached for my shoulders, his intent to shake me awake, but he was cut off.

            Dont touch her, my mother and I said in unison, but from her body. I gaped in horror, mentally, at what was happening. Jared eyes filled with amazement, staring at my mother.

            Ana, concentrate. I can feel your fear. Ill close my eyes. Go back into your body. Feel for the familiarity of it. You must be slightly uncomfortable, go back into the comfort.

            I felt for my body, like a person feeling for something in a pitch black room. I had no idea if I was close or not. I spoke a small whisper out of my mothers mouth, borrowing her vocal chords.

            Help me, my voice said out of my mothers body. As I reached one last time, helplessly, I could feel the warmth of my body, calling me back to myself. I grasped for it and raced to it, breaking away from my mothers mind. I opened my eyes, in my own body, tears racing down my face. My mother was laying on the ground, unconscious. Jared picked her up with care and put her onto a bed that I hadnt seen before. He wrapped her in a multicolored quilt. He avoided looking at me.

            I think its time you explain a few things to me, Jared said, his voice low. I swallowed hard, feeling guilty. But how was I supposed to explain something I didnt understand?

            I was hoping my mother could explain it to me, I said quietly, staring down at my bare toes. He grabbed my face, forcing him to stare into his deep brown eyes. They were filled with anger.

            What did you do to her? he growled.

            I dont know, I whispered, tears running down my face. I could feel a full out sob building in my chest. His eyes changed from anger to concern. He let go of my face gently. I went to my mother and took out her bun, playing with her hair. Jared and I sat in silence. She woke up groggily. She looked up at my and smiled, pulling me into her embrace. My bridge suddenly broke and I sobbed into her chest, releasing all of the emotion over the past few days. I could hear her coos and feel her hands rubbing my back, the comfort foreign. I started to calm down, my throat raw from the tears. We sat up together, my face still in her chest. I felt like a young girl, ripped away of my childhood with my mother.

            Care to explain? Jared said. I looked up at him and he was staring at the two of us wearily.

            Only if you promise not to run to Jasmine about this, she countered, narrowing her eyes at him. His cheeks burned red and he looked away from my mother, distressed.

            How many times do I have to apologize? It was an accident. That young woman can be extremely influential, he argues, not meeting her gaze. My mother sighs and looks at me, love and worry in her expression. She put my hair up into a bun, missing a few strands. She twirled one absently; thinking.

            Gabriel can control people with his mind. Apparently, this ability passed down to you and your sister, she said directly to me, ignoring Jareds open jaw.

            I figured that much, I said, frowning slightly, but what I dont understand is this extreme link I have with you. Her eyebrows came together, worry tightening her lips.        

            What do you mean?

            Well, I had visions of you with Jared while you two were in the tunnels, I said watching my mothers eyes open in amazement. The two look at each other briefly and turn away, turning red simultaneously. I smiled slightly and went on, ignoring the obvious attraction between my mother and this genuine man.

            When I was unconscious on my way here, I saw Dad meet you for the first time.

            From my point of view? she asked, ignoring the fact that I was somehow unconscious.

            No, his, I replied, glancing at Jared. He was watching me wearily. I remembered his angry tone as he declared he never wanted to go near Daniella after watching what she had done to me. My cheeks turned red as I realized he had just witnessed me doing the same thing to my own mother.

            I think you can go into our memories, she said, twirling my hair again. I nodded slowly, it making sense. The visions and the sudden recall of objects and names that I could not have possibly known. The memory of Jared and the Lashua. I suddenly felt tired, too tired to hold myself up. I dropped my head into my hands, confused.

            Can I go into everyones memories? I ask, my voice muffled from my hands.

            Im not sure. Your father trained for years to gain that ability, and even longer to master it. But he also didnt accidently jump into other peoples minds, she said, her voice light. I looked up at her, a small smile on her lips.

            Well, I dont want it, I declared, crossing my arms across my chest. I pouted at her and I imagined I looked close to a young child.

            I know sweetie, she answered, her voice as soft as her fingers running across my face. But you dont have much of a choice.

            My throat started to swell, my childish protests stuck in my voice box. I could feel another memory coming in, my vision becoming blurry and my mothers voice becoming indistinct.

            Mom, its happening, I said, panic in my tone. The room became indistinct blobs. I saw one white blob moving towards me.

            Dont fight it Ana. Itll make it worse. Let it come. My mothers caring tone spoke through my mind, giving me something to focus on through the panic. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths, feeling a breeze against my face and the salt in my hair. I opened my eyes and I was standing on a pier, staring out into a dark blue sea. It was a beautiful day out. The sun was directly above us, but the breeze was just enough to be refreshing. The pier was a dark wood and lead to a large ship at the end. As we looked, I could feel my fathers fear and hope, all folded into an anxious ball in his stomach.

            Gabriel, you dont have to do this, a small voice said behind me, her tone broken. My father and I turned and saw a petite small blonde woman, her deep green eyes filled with tears.

            What other choice do I have? He huskily replied. Our heart broke as we stared at the girl. I felt deep inside my fathers memory and found her name. Alice. I could feel his love for her, but as I tried for new memories, I was torn back into the moment.

            Choose me, she said quietly. My father was surprised at her words and he looked uncomfortably away from her. I could begin to see her thoughts with him, her fantasies of them together making him more emotion. He looked up towards the market, trying to focus on something else other than her.

            I could see a blacksmithing shop where he briefly remembered buying a sword there with his brother. There was an old woman sitting on a bench, drawing etched into the bark, drawings he knew to be flowers and bottles, what she thought to be the two most beautiful things in the world. He saw the streets and had brief flashes of running through the town, of his fathers and mothers funeral, Alice when she dressed for her coming of age There were all things he was ready to leave behind. The thoughts of the people he knew were too much. He was reminded of his parents death by every local that glanced his way, their thoughts unwelcoming as they pitied him.

            She grabbed his arm, bringing his attention back to her. I know youve never felt like that towards me. I know I cant offer you anything here. But I need you Gabriel. I cant live without you. I dont have money. I dont have fame. But we can be happy together, her eyes were filled with hope and longing, breaking my fathers heart deeper into two. But her thoughts pushed his way into his mind. He broke away from her, afraid of this new found power.

            Dont you want that? she asked helplessly.

            Yes. I want that more than anything. The thought was clear and I wasnt sure if it was his or mine.

            You know I do. But I cant. Im sorry Alice, he said. He put his hand on top of hers, still on his arm. He gave it a slight squeeze and turned and walked towards the ship on the pier, his back to her. The sounds of the market drowned out any sound of her crying. It took all of his will not to turn around and see if she was there, watching. My father started to take steps onto the ship. He glanced behind him but she was gone.

 

**************************************************************

 

I woke up confused. What a strange memory. I kept my eyes closed and felt the soft sheets with my hands. I touched my hips and stomach, the skin foreign and unfamiliar. My belly button was like a crater on my somewhat raised stomach. I moved up to my somewhat sized breasts to my face. Oh, how strange it is to feel your own face. My fingers were soft and gentle, much like my mothers. My hair curled around me in spirals. I went to put my fingers through it but flinched as they got stuck in the knots.

            Dad, I think shes awake, I heard an unfamiliar voice say. I opened my eyes and saw the dark brown wall and ceiling of the cave. I was laying on a bed. I sat up groggily and looked around the room. It was very simple with a wooden bureau and chest. I had rock shelves over my head and along the wall my bed was pushed up against. The mattress was against the ground, but surprisingly comfy. I sat up carefully and stretched, letting the covers fall down around to my waste. My dress from the night before was missing and I was now dressed in a large white shirt.

            Sleep well? A voice asked from the doorway. I looked up to see the unfamiliar person. A girlfriend, perhaps? Or a child of Jareds? But my face dropped as I reached the golden eyes of the boy from the welcoming.

            I grabbed the blankets around me self-consciously and looked towards the floor. Yes, I did, thank you. I said blandly, embarrassed.

            Im Aaron, he said, not stepping foot into the doorway. I saw you at the welcoming ceremony. Its been awhile since weve had anyone new in town, so youre pretty easy to remember.

            His feet were bare on the stone. I watched him fiddle with his white shirt as he spoke, his eyes on the ground. I recalled the blonde boys handsome features while standing next to the lashua. I had assumed it was her son, but as I thought back to the vision of Jared and her, I guess that wouldnt have made much sense.

            Are you Jareds son? I asked, watching him intently. Our eyes held gazes as he glanced back to me.

            Yes. And he wants you to eat. Youve slept all night and half way through the day.

            My mouth dropped open in disbelief. Almost in agreement my stomach began to speak unhappily. Aaron laughed and my heart melted instantly.

            I see youre hungry. Go ahead and get dressed. Well wait for you out here.

            Before I could respond he left the doorway. I stood up out of the bed carefully, my bare feet touching the cold stone. I walked over to the bureau and opened the doors expectantly. Everything in the shelves were white. I took out one of the dresses and other useful clothing. I couldnt say I was surprised as much as I was disappointed. What kind of community only wears white clothing? It didnt seem smart to me. Plus, they all looked disheveled and dirty once they were out of their houses. I pulled it out and changed into the dress, the cotton soft on my skin.

            I looked around for a mirror in the room, my tangled hair a reminder of the journey of the day before, but there wasnt one. I took a deep breath, trying to calm the nerves in my stomach, and ventured out of the bedroom.

            Directly across from my room was another room, perfectly set with a green and blue quilt and a spotless room. I wondered whose room it was but was interrupted by the hallowed growl deep in my stomach. I walked to the end of the candle lit hallway, meeting the kitchen. I walked into the first room I had entered. Jared and Aaron were sitting at the wooden table speaking in low tones. Across from Jared was a plate full of food. I recognized rice and eggs, but there was a dark green substance I couldnt place. It took all of my will power not to sprint to the table.

            Good morning late bird, Jared said playfully as I sat down at the table. Aaron snickered at his father. I stared at the two blankly. I picked up a wooden spoon and tried the rice. It was well seasoned and made my mouth further water.

            What is that supposed to mean? I asked with a full mouth. Aarons eye brows shot towards the dark brown ceiling. Jared started to smile at his sons reaction, but I narrowed my eyes at him. I didnt enjoy being left in the dark.

            It just means you woke up late. Its just a saying, he said, exasperated. Now dont talk with your mouth full of food. I know you didnt live within society, but its extremely rude around here.

            I was about to protest and remind him that I was raised in a castle, not a cave, but he spoke again before I could.

            Thats exactly why Aaron is here. Hes going to show you around Grundil and help you through the schooling here. Can you read?

            I shook my head no, it dawning on me that Aaron may not know where I was really from. I kept my mouth shut, afraid I would say something that Jared hadnt told him. As I shook my head, Aarons eyes widened in disbelief, but Jared looked unfazed.

            Then you definitely cant write. Youll have to learn how to do both before you can join the school system here. At your age, you would be choosing a trade to help within the town, Jared went on, oblivious to my confusion, but Im not sure if its any different because you dont permanently live here. Was there anything you did with your parents in Aora that could be traded into a skill? Maybe we can skip the whole schooling thing.

            I stared blankly at Jared. His eyes were urging me to say something, anything, and I realized he wanted me to tell my own story. He didnt want to give one to me. I cleared my throat and looked down at my half eaten plate, making sure to swallow my food before I spoke.

            I can paint really well, I replied, ignoring the fact that I have never consciously painted anything. Jareds eyes now opened in surprise as Aaron nodded. I shrugged at Jared, Aarons attention on his father as well.

            I think the royal painter is looking for an apprentice. That doesnt require reading or writing. Aaron said. But Jared shook his head at me as if I had said the wrong thing.

            Possibly, but its still important that she learn to read and write. Ill talk to the other councilors, but Aaron should start tutoring you in the town library. Aaron nodded in response as his father spoke, but my memory was blank on a few different words. I thought of the word council and concentrated, hoping it wouldnt cause a memory to rise. But all I could see was a group of people sitting around a table, making me more confused.

            Jared seemed to know what I was thinking and said, Youll understand more the longer you stay here. Dont be so worried.

            His reassuring smile only made me feel more helpless. I knew this was going to be very difficult for me. I thought of my mother hiding in the back room, reminded of the quick memory I had when walking into Jareds home. Is that why she has to be out of sight? They know her as the dictators wife? But I also thought back to the first time I saw Jared in my fathers living room. To me, it sounded like they were allies. My chest locked as I remembered the sharpness of my fathers knife against Jareds throat.

            Hey, are you okay? Aaron asked, his hand resting on my arm. I looked down at my hand as it shook and back up to his warm, golden eyes.

            Well, my sister is trapped with an insane man and she seems to want to stay there, my mother is hiding in some weird cavern in your dads storage room, I can see my parents memories, and my heart skips when you look at me. And thats without going into the strange politics.

            Im okay.



© 2015 H.D. Murphy


Author's Note

H.D. Murphy
Didn't reread through this all that much, if you catch anything that sounds funny or doesn't run well, please don't be afraid to let me know :) Thank you in advance!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on April 22, 2015
Last Updated on April 22, 2015
Tags: My Muddled Mind, adventure


Author

H.D. Murphy
H.D. Murphy

ME



About
Student, soon-to-be teacher, explorer, writer, artist more..

Writing