4. Bumblebee Westcott: Meant to Bee (Unedited)

4. Bumblebee Westcott: Meant to Bee (Unedited)

A Story by Haley Lynn Thomas
"

When Bumblebee's parents announce their divorce and her father talks of selling the farm she wants to get away from it all. So she ditches school to go to an amusement park.

"

High school wasn't going so well. I thought everything would be perfect. My two best friends Rae Annabelle and Kurt Lanahan were still together and happier than ever. I was back with my ex-boyfriend bad boy Jesse Crabbs and couldn't have been more content. I loved to parade my love for him all throughout the school. I was openly affectionate with him in the way he'd always wanted. On the outside everything was perfect. On the inside my world was falling apart.

It was the day before my first day of high school when my parents told me they were getting a divorce. I hadn't seen it coming. I knew that money was getting tight. The honey bee farm that my father had inherited from his father was failing. Business had always been good but suddenly no one was buying his honey anymore. My mother didn't make enough money to support us, even working full time as a nurse. There had been talk of giving up the farm, something I'd never thought my father would do. The farm was his pride and joy; it was his life. Even though I was allergic to bees and I'd never understood my father's passion for them, I still hated the idea of him selling it.

Money was tight, and my father might have to sell the farm, but I still didn't understand they my parents were separating. They'd always taught me that marriage was about partnership and compromise; supporting each other and comforting each other. There was nothing that could break the vows they'd shared. Marriage was about sticking together through the times good and the bad; the thick and the thin. It was a commitment. Not all marriages lasted, but my parents would. That's what I'd believed. When they told me they were getting divorced it felt like a slap in my face. Like everything they'd told me and preached for the last fifteen years was a lie.

I needed to get away from home. School, which I'd never liked, became my sanctuary. At school there was no fighting, no screaming, no blaming each other for things that no one can control. I almost preferred listening to my teachers drone on and on about American history and chemical formulas then listening to my parents yell at at each other.

I was also spending more time with Jesse. He knew what I was going through. His parents had divorced when he was only four and their custody battle had been long and vicious. Mudslinging and trash talking, false accusations, you name it they did it. They were at each others throats for years; they couldn't even be cordial for the sake of their son. He told me that was why he'd started rebelling. He was angry at his parents and he manifested that anger by acting out in school and at home. His parents did eventually work things out, and he told me they were on good terms now. Still, when I complained about my parents he listened and related. One day he suggested we get away from it all. I told Rae and Kurt about the plan.

“Jesse suggested that we ditch school for a day and go to that new amusement park that just opened up.” I told them excitedly. “It would just be the four of us.” I could tell from the expressions on their faces that they weren't on board. “That's crazy Bumblebee.” Kurt said. “We can't ditch school. We'll get into so much trouble.” I wasn't surprised that Kurt was against the idea. He was the most studious person I knew. He took school so seriously; it was amazing that we were friends. Of course, I'd used to have a major crush on him, but since I began dating Jesse his goody-goody image was starting to annoy me. Didn't he ever have any fun?

“I agree with Kurt.” Rae said. I glared at her. I'd been counting on her backing me up. I guess since Kurt was her boyfriend she had to agree with him on everything. “You know I'm going through a lot right now. This could be just what I need.” I said. Kurt shook his head. “Running away from your problems? That's how you plan to deal with your parents divorce?” He asked. I didn’t like the tone he used. It was degrading.

“You guys don't know what it's like and Jesse does. He's only trying to help me.” I said. Rae raised her eyebrows as if to question me. “No, you know Bumblebee, I don't know what you're going through. It must be so hard to have two parents who love you. That must just be just awful.” She said sarcastically. I was immediately filled with regret. Rae's mother had died giving birth to her. Her father had raised her and her older sister Rio by himself.

“I didn't mean it like that Rae.” I said softly. Rae frowned. “I know, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just...jealous. I know it sounds strange but I would give anything to have a mother and a father getting a divorce.” She said. “It would mean that I had a mother and a father.”

“Maybe this ditching school and go to an amusement park plan isn't such a bad idea.” Kurt said suddenly. Rae and I both looked at him in shock. I think my jaw actually dropped. “Why the sudden change of heart?” I asked. He shrugged. “I think we could all use a break.” He said. Rae and I both nodded in agreement.

The next day I pretended to have a bad headache. I suffered from migraines so it wasn't hard to fake. My mother had to work and my father was going out with some old college friend so I was alone. As soon as they were gone I called Jesse and got dressed. Since none of us had our licenses and couldn’t drive, Jesse was paying his older brother to drive us. We picked up Rae and , who had both pretended to have the stomach flu. I didn't have the guts to make myself throw up. I knew how, I'd tried it once out of curiosity to see if it really worked, but it was the most unpleasant experience.

Once we were all in the car the excitement bubbled over. None of us except for Jesse had ever done anything like this before. It felt so good to be reckless and irresponsible.

When we reached the amusement park the man sitting in the ticket booth gazed at us skeptically. “Aren't you four a little young? Shouldn't you be in school?” He asked. Jesse was quick to rebuff him. “Aren't you one to talk; I bet you didn't even finish high school.”

“Four tickets.” The man said. He handed us our bands and we walked inside. “That was a little harsh.” Rae said when we were out of ear shot. I had to agree with her. “Sometimes in life you have to push to get what you want.” He said, remorseless.“What happens when they push back?” Rae muttered but he didn't hear her.

The first ride we headed to was bumper cars. I got in the same car as Jesse and Rae and Kurt shared one as well. We pretty much ignored all the other cars and tried to run each other out of the rink. We rode twice, so all four of us could get a chance at the wheel. It was great driving practice.

After bumper cars we went into the house of mirrors where I managed to get lost and started panicking. I did eventually find my way out and when Jesse, Rae, and Kurt saw the tears in my eyes and my bright red face they all burst out laughing. When we hit the haunted house it was my turn to laugh at Kurt. He was so easily scared. Every time anything popped out at us he started screaming, which only made the experience that much more entertaining.

We braked for lunch and gorged ourselves on funnel cakes, ice cream bars, soda pop, and hot fries covered in vinegar, salt, and ketchup. It was an incredibly nutritious meal. After eating we made the mistake of going on a roller coaster. Normally I love roller coasters, they're my favorite part of the amusement park, but the ride was not good to my stomach. Halfway through a scream I projectile vomited. At least I didn't puke on Jesse. Still, I knew they'd never let me live it down.

After my stomach settled down we rode three more roller coasters. Jesse won me a giant stuffed teddy bear at the water-shooting game and a stuffed German Shepard at the hoops game. Kurt won Rae a plastic ring at the ring toss. Needless to say she wasn't too impressed with his skills.

We saved the best ride for last; the Ferris wheel. It was the most romantic in my opinion and the perfect opportunity to kiss. Unfortunately for Rae, Kurt had a a fear of heights. Instead of paying any attention to her he clung to his seat as though his life depended on it.

The day was incredible. As we were strolling through the nearly empty roads towards Jesse's brother's car while stuffing our faces with pink cotton candy, my entire day was ruined. I nearly choked on my cotton candy when I saw him. There, only a few feet away, was my dad. To make matters worse he was with a woman, not the old college friend he'd told me he was going out with.

I tried to find behind my teddy bear but of course he spotted Rae and Kurt. “Jamie Krystyna Westcott!” He thundered. I cringed. I swear middle names were invented only so parents could use them to express their anger at their children. No one ever used their child's middle name in an endearing way. It was always shouted in rage. I knew Rae's full name was Raeleigh Norene Annabelle because her father yelled it whenever he was upset with her, and I knew Kurt's was Kurtis Leonardo Lanahan, because his mother shouted it at him when she was furious. No good ever came from them.

My father approached us and snatched the teddy bear out of my hands. He shoved it into Jesse's arms which were already full with the stuffed German Shepard. His face was bright red, the veins popping out on his forehead. “What are you doing here?” He roared. “I thought you were home with a headache. I can't believe you tricked me so you could come to the amusement park!” He turned on Rae, Kurt, and Jesse. “You three can bet your parents will be hearing about this!” He promised threateningly. He tossed the stuffed animals to the ground and glared at Jesse. “I know this is your fault!” He cried. “I never wanted my daughter dating you. You've only ever been trouble. You've turned Jamie into a little delinquent just like you!” Jesse glared back at him. “I was just trying to help her. You and your wife are making her miserable! You're no better than my parents!” Jesse accused him. My father didn't respond. He looked at me. “Why did you do this?”

“I wanted to get away. I can't take you and mom fighting all the time.” I told him and then I asked “What are you doing here?” It wasn't my place to question him, especially in the postilion I was currently in, but I wanted to know. After all, he'd lied to me too.

“That's none of your business.” My father said. I looked around him at the woman. She stood awkwardly a few feet away, obviously unsure of what to do. “Who is she?” I asked. My father sighed. “She's an old friend from college. I'm here on a date with her.”

“You're cheating on mom?” I cried. He shook his head. “You're coming home with me young lady.” he said. He grabbed my arm. I looked helplessly at Jesse, Rae, and Kurt. All of their faces were shocked and sad. Jesse's looked a little guilty.

My father towed me away, stopping when we reached the woman. “I'm sorry Joan.” He said. “I have to go home and deal with some...family issues. Do you need a ride?” Nothing repulsed me more than the idea of riding in a car with this woman. Thankfully she shook her head no.

When we got home my father sat me down and demanded an explanation. So I gave him one. “I'm sick of you and mom fighting every night, all the time. You keep talking about giving up the farm. This isn't fair to me. I don't get a say in it. Put yourself in my place. I feel helpless watching my parents' marriage fall apart and my father losing his farm.”

“You've never liked the farm.” My father reminded me. “But you love it. You grew up on this farm; it's your life. You can't just give it up.” I said fiercely. “You can't just throw everything that you've work for your entire life away. You and mom always told me marriage is forever and to never give up on anything. Now you're getting a divorce and selling your farm. You're such a hypocrite!”

“Honey,” my father sighed. “I don't want to sell the farm, but it's become a financial burden. You know some things are easier said than done. What your mother and I told you is something we still both believe in. It's just sometimes...things seem right but they're really not. I know you want your mother and I to stay together, but right now we're better apart. We won't be fighting anymore, and isn't that what you want?” He said. I shook my head. “Does anything last forever, Dad?” I asked. He sighed again. “Everything is work Jamie.” He told me. “You have to work to get what you want and to make it last. That doesn't mean it's always going to, but you have to go to into it with a positive attitude, believing that it will.”

“Practice what you preach Dad.” I said. “If we both work hard enough maybe we can save the farm.” He looked skeptical. “I'm not going to let you give up without a fight.” I said. “We have to at least try to save the farm.”

My father finally agreed. I got Rae, Kurt, and Jesse to help out as well. Jesse still felt guilty about getting me in trouble, but I'd forgiven. The trip to the amusement park had helped me. Even if I was grounded for a month, it was worth it. My parents were fighting less often now and I wondered if it was because of what I said. They were cordial but I had no hope of a reconciliation. My father was right, they are better apart.

We decided to hold a concert. It took place in the school auditorium. It featured all sorts of musical talents from around town and, of course, Rae. All of the money we earned from the ticket sales went to saving the farm. Since almost the entire town loved my dad's honey they all came out to support him. The entire auditorium was filled and people were standing.

Rae was the last to perform and her song was a tribute to me. “This is a song I wrote about a very special friend.” She began. “Many of you probably know her, she's going through a tough time right now, so this song is for her. It's called Meant to Bee, B-E-E.

“We don't always understand, we can't comprehend...we don't know what real, we don't know what's true-uuee-uuee-uuee......Everything we know is changing, it's all brand nnneeewww, and we don't like it, we don't want it, we don't understand...but we can't take it bbbaaacckk...It's not easy, it's not fair, it's fraught with danger, but you don't care; it's strange but it's right, it's hard but in the end, it's meant to bee. It's not easy, it's not fair, it's fraught with danger, but you don't care; it's different but it's right...we don’t like it, we can't understand it, but we can't take it back...it's strange but it's right...it's hard but in the end...it's meant to bee, it's meant to bee, it's meant toooo...beeee.”

The crowd erupted into cheers and I jumped up on stage and embraced Rae. Confetti rained down on us and we collapsed into a heap with the rest of the band.

That day we made several thousand dollars and planned a whole series of concerts. I couldn't believe that our whole town had come together to save my father's farm. He was ecstatic and grateful. I was happy too. I'd thought the divorce was tearing my family apart, but it was bringing us closer together.

© 2011 Haley Lynn Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on September 17, 2011
Last Updated on September 17, 2011

Author

Haley Lynn Thomas
Haley Lynn Thomas

Columbus, OH



About
I write poetry, short stories, and novellas. Most of my poetry is inspired by real people and events in my life. more..

Writing