Claire's Vignettes

Claire's Vignettes

A Story by Garrett
"

4 short vignettes of Claire's life.

"

The eye opener



Claire got flashed. She felt a current going through her whole body, a sudden disconnection between her and the whole world outside of her. Her chain of thoughts got interrupted, as if there was a sudden cut in her own storyline.


For a moment, it felt like she had to relearn everything about the world, including who she was. Or who she used to be.


She shook off the goosebumps that had just made her roll her eyes and tickled her down the spine. With one last spasm from her shoulder blades, she opened her eyes.


In front of her were the most sad and sympathetic blue eyes that she would ever get to see in her not-so-long remaining life.



Comfort blue


It was meant to be an adventure, the kind that promises excitement and success. But this wasn't an adventure at all - it was cold and frightening. Claire blushed as she imagined Aunt Rita's disapproving triumphant gaze.


Defying her dad's rule to stay indoors in that April afternoon, Claire had slipped away from the grown-up world and sought her own throne in the treehouse. Unfortunately, her escape had coincided with a sudden, loud thunderstorm that turned the day dark and gloomy.


Now she was stranded up there, taking shelter, alone with the loyal blue eyes of Mr. Hopper, the stuffed rabbit, to bolster her courage and weather the storm.



Dear Jake


Jeanette had a soft spot for reserved and shy guys, but it became frustrating when they grew overly reliant on her for a social life. This time, she felt delighted to see Jake breaking out of his shell and agreeing to play squash with Claire.


She kissed him on the forehead and handed him her car keys. At that moment, Jake's phone buzzed in his pocket; it was a self-destructing photo.



Dreams down the rain


Ever since Claire and Jake got married, she struggled to find contentment with their home. Her hardworking a*s deserved more happiness than the cluttered Parisian apartment allowed.


She was on the verge of a breakthrough: just one more promotion, and they could afford to relocate to the countryside, where they could build a treehouse for their future children.


Claire realised it was already a quarter past five, and Jake should have been waiting for her in the middle of the sotrm. With a genuine sense of urgency, she hurried down the stairs and embarked on her final drive through that dark and gloomy April evening.

© 2023 Garrett


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on November 7, 2023
Last Updated on November 7, 2023
Tags: vignette, non-linear

Author

Garrett
Garrett

Berlin, Berlin, Germany



Writing
Lucky Man Lucky Man

A Story by Garrett