A Possibility of Immortality

A Possibility of Immortality

A Story by Hallar Azad
"

This write-up focuses on how possibly a human can be immortal.

"
Do you know how many people have ever lived on Earth? Of course more than hundreds, thousands, millions or crores. When I asked Google, I came to know that the approximate estimate is about One Hundred and Eight billions and this was estimated in the mid of 2011, so now it’s even more. It’s a huge number! But what do I have to do with that number? Well, it may amaze you a bit, but that’s not what I intend to do. 
Billions of people have born and died on this Earth but how many of them you remember? Five? Or maybe ten. Maybe a little more too. Hold on there and ask yourself how many of your great grandparents you remember? Well, in my case, I’ve forgot the name of my great grandfather and I’ve never heard my great grandmother’s name. It’s really hard to remember people who’ve died. 

When I focused on this fact, some questions severely pinned into my mind: Billions of
people have lived and died on this Earth living a normal life so what special does my life mean if I pass the same way? What difference would my death make to the world? To be honest, I was really shocked and scared to hear those questions. I had almost got goose bumps. Steve Jobs said, “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it.” However, there is something very positive that I want to share with you through this write-up. 

Some of those billion people and my own observations have taught me how to be immortal; so that we may never die. Take some time and ask yourself three questions: How many people know you today when you’re alive? How many remember you? And how many Love you? Now imagine that you’re died and then answer those questions again. Of course you will have the same numbers or maybe a little increased. But the bitter truth of life is, after your death, those numbers decrease rapidly with time. And at some point, they reach zeros. 

I think what is most valuable in we humans are not our bodies but our behavior, knowledge, thinking and philosophy. What my philosophy of being immortal is, humans cannot live on this earth forever biologically. But those most valuable constraints define our life after our death. Either our contribution in this world to serve the mankind or the harm we give to mankind keeps us alive forever; whether in a positive or a negative sense. Your contribution towards humanity can be in the form of scientific discoveries, innovations or inventions or in form of philosophy or maybe in form of literature. Anything that helps people. Christopher Paolini said, “It's amazing that a man who is dead can talk to people through these pages. As long as his books survive, his ideas live. 

So what my philosophy of immortality is, you can live forever, but only if you live for others. And if you live for others, you will be immortal for them, not for yourself.


“It's amazing that a man who is dead can talk to people through
these pages. As long as his books survive, his ideas live.”
― Christopher Paolini, Eragon


© 2016 Hallar Azad


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I adore this piece. I must say that the grammar within the piece is a little off. However, this is something I have thought about numerous times in the past. Billions of people have lived & died yet, there's only a handful of people who's names we remember from history, even more if you go searching. I'm not a religious person but there is a man, or men if you will, that I turn to for guidance beyond their grave. A writer who I idolise. When i'm struggling in everyday life I think "what would he do" "what would he have done or said". From reading his poems & books I feel a connection and his legacy will live on in those connections in me & anyone else he has touched. Everyone has their influencers. I'm glad you put this into words.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hallar Azad

8 Years Ago

Thank you respected for taking time to review this. I'm not an expert in English language but I love.. read more
Kirsty Woodward

8 Years Ago

Of course. Just where you say "I had almost got goosebumps".. The correct grammar would be "I had al.. read more
Hallar Azad

8 Years Ago

Oh I see. That's probably something that I already know but yet I made these mistakes. Thanks for yo.. read more



Reviews

Nice, with a few errors though. You have a lot of potential and can improve.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hallar Azad

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Rohilia :)
I adore this piece. I must say that the grammar within the piece is a little off. However, this is something I have thought about numerous times in the past. Billions of people have lived & died yet, there's only a handful of people who's names we remember from history, even more if you go searching. I'm not a religious person but there is a man, or men if you will, that I turn to for guidance beyond their grave. A writer who I idolise. When i'm struggling in everyday life I think "what would he do" "what would he have done or said". From reading his poems & books I feel a connection and his legacy will live on in those connections in me & anyone else he has touched. Everyone has their influencers. I'm glad you put this into words.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hallar Azad

8 Years Ago

Thank you respected for taking time to review this. I'm not an expert in English language but I love.. read more
Kirsty Woodward

8 Years Ago

Of course. Just where you say "I had almost got goosebumps".. The correct grammar would be "I had al.. read more
Hallar Azad

8 Years Ago

Oh I see. That's probably something that I already know but yet I made these mistakes. Thanks for yo.. read more
Your persuasive essay is well-written & it might be convincing for some. I get the idea that you are trying to instruct people on how to life their lives, so that they will be immortal. But there's an assumption here that you haven't addressed: WHO SAYS WE EVEN CARE ABOUT BEING IMMORTAL? I know some people want to be remembered, but most of us don't care. So, as I read your essay, I'm more interested in why it matters so much to you. Why can't you just humbly accept our place in life & feel absolute joy in being a nice person & bringing light & love into other people's lives. Why do we need to be doing this for some egotistical reasons? True giving is not about getting something from it. It's just giving becuz it feels good to see someone smile & be appreciated in some singular moment in time. So, while I feel you did a great job of setting up this premise & trying to prove it (the part about how many people have ever been on this earth is really amazing & an unusual way to start into this essay) . . . in the end, I feel you are selling the wrong product to us. And even tho you wrote all this crap about wanting to be remembered & wanting to be immortal, I get the sense that this is not really you & not really your message. I think you are really a person who would enjoy being a good person just for no particular reason or reward.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hallar Azad

8 Years Ago

Hello Ma'am!
First of all I'm very much thankful to you for your kind review. Secondly, altho.. read more
barleygirl

8 Years Ago

Thank you for understanding & accepting my critical response to this piece. I think the reason being.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2016
Last Updated on April 8, 2016
Tags: immortality, life, humanity, love, science, literature

Author

Hallar Azad
Hallar Azad

Larkana, Sindh, Pakistan



About
I am an ordinary human named Hallar. I love to observe life and write about it. I am also a Software Developer. more..

Writing