Chased

Chased

A Chapter by hansive lowry

My heart pounded like a stampede of horses. Thunder roared from the midnight skies above me while water began to soak onto my light-green dress. I quickly dove behind a tree and bent down so my parents couldn't find me. The bark of the tree obtained a rough texture as it scraped my back and tore part of my gown.


“Elira, where are you?” My mother and father shouted through the pouring rain.


Not wanting them to know where I was, I kept silent. I looked up through the colliding trees, lighting cracking through the skies. For some odd reason, it seemed to have a strange red tint to it, yet that could've just been the blood pulsing through my veins.


“Elira, come out now!” My father bellowed. I still bent down, remaining silent.


Tears began to well up in my eyes. I could hear them coming closer even though the rain muffled their voices. My position wasn't comfortable, and my soaked cotton dress didn't help either.


“Elira!” My father’s voice seemed to be only a couple feet away from me.


I turned my head to peek behind me. That was probably the worst decision I could have ever made.


“There you are!” My father yelled. “Come here, child!”


My father stomped towards me, with a soaked torch in his left hand. He clenched onto my arm and lifted me up from the wet ground. I began to scratch him, digging my nails into his skin. I could see the rage in his eyes from the bit of flame left on his torch.


“Get off of me, you disgusting worm!” He released me from his grip.


Suddenly, the palm of his hand collided with my bare cheek. I stumbled into the mud, sobbing, as the pain on my face throbbed.


“Terrence, stop!” My mother pleaded, attempting to grab his arm and pull him away from me. 


He pushed her to the side, causing her to almost fall to the ground. My hands shook in horror as he stood above me, the lighting forming a silhouette out of his body. 


“Terrence, please don't hurt her anymore.” I could hear the fear in my mother’s voice, even though the pouring rain happened to be the main sound my ears gave audience to.


“It’s what she deserves,” My father replied.


Looking up, all I could see of my father was a monster, but I had become used to that monster. I had gotten used to the constant beatings, leaving me bruised day after day, but I couldn't stand it anymore.


“Get up, filth!” My father demanded.


I got up from the ground, cold mud soaked into my dress.


“Move!” He grabbed my left arm once again as I struggled to keep up with how quickly he trekked. He began to drag me out of the midnight forest and into a deserted field while my mother followed behind helplessly.


Out of nowhere, my right hand started to warm up. It didn’t feel painful; it felt natural. It seemed like some energy just bolted through my body. I could see the lightning flash at the end of the forest as I walked towards it, yet it seemed to have a more vibrant red tint than the last. It couldn't have possibly been the blood rushing through my body.


“You’re going to get the beating of your life when you get home.” He spat as we exited the forest and entered the field.


I couldn't stand it anymore. I wanted him out of my life. I looked down; red lighting began to form in my hand, shaping a sphere.


“Elira, what are you doing?!” My mother screamed from behind.


“I don’t know!” I looked down; red energy swirled in the palm of my hand.


“Demon child!” My father shouted, pushing me away from him.


I heard a voice in my head, well, more like a whisper. It told me to end his life. To make me the last thing he ever saw. I don’t know what it was, but it felt so right. All of the sudden, my hand thrusted forward. The red energy ball shot out at my father. I couldn’t tell in detail what happened. A flash of red light appeared before my eyes and then vanished in a moments notice. A massive burn mark replaced my father.


“What have you done!?” My mother fell to her knees, cupping her hands as tears poured into them.


I stood there, utterly speechless. I had become a murder, but in the back of my head, I felt relieved as if what I had wanted to do for years had finally happened. The whispers in my head began to speak again. “She can’t be a witness. She thinks you’re a monster. She’ll lock you up. End her- end her now.” The red energy formed in the palm of my hand once again.


“Stop this!” My mother yelled.


I had no control over my body. The whispers took over and made me do an unforgivable thing. My hand waved towards my mother, and the red energy obliterated her. Terrorizing thunder rumbled throughout the stormy clouds.


“Mother, no!” I let out a blood-curdling scream as I fell into the high grass, sobbing.


What had I done? Red lightning struck down, thunder following seconds behind.



I lifted from my fur padding. It was just a dream; I thought to myself as I struggled to catch my breath. Yes, a dream, but it was still the past from ten years ago when I was twelve. Looking through the trees above me, it still seemed to be a clear night.

    

I lifted from my bedding, pulling on my boots and tightening my ebony leather clothing. I could feel goosebumps crawl up my arms as the cold breeze passed through the timber. The song of leaves swaying back and forth quietly sounded throughout the forest. The trees were strange; some were narrow and other were large. The leaves dangled from the branches, given the fact that summer remained in session.


I bent down in front of the fire pit I had formed hours ago. I hovered my hands above the warm ambers and ash. I could still smell the aroma of smoke that had lifted into the air earlier in the night. I tried not to think of my dream as I got up to grab some tinder and kindling.


I kept looking up and around making sure no one was following me. Men had been hunting me ever since the word got out about my abilities. They wanted to know where my magic came from, and what my limit was. But that thought terrified me. If I was ever to find my real limit, it could possibly destroy an entire kingdom. I never even meant to hurt anyone. I never asked to have all this power. All I wanted to do to was reach the docks to finally be free from these dreaded lands.


I finished searching for sticks scattered across the forest and stepped back over to the fire pit. Propping up the tinder and kindling, I summoned a small flame onto my fingertips. I pressed the flame against the wood, and a fire initiated. I waved my hand, and the flames grew in mass, giving me warmth. I swooshed a stick back a forth through the coals. I could feel the beams of heat striking my face while the crackling of firewood put me at ease.


I began to get lost in my thoughts and the event that took place all those many years ago. I snapped out of it as I heard a twig snap behind me. I immediately shifted my head to see what had been traveling me. A silhouette moved behind a tree.


“Come out. I don’t want to hurt you.” I notified with a confident voice.


A sphere of red energy formed in my hand, I had somewhat become skilled in the magical powers I mossed.


“I said that I don’t want to hurt you.”


The silhouette behind the tree remained silent. I blast my ball of energy at the timber. Chips of wood scattered everywhere slightly scratching my face and passing through my wavy black hair. The tree collapsed to the ground, the crash echoing throughout the forest. I spotted a man holding a bow. Just as I thought it was too late, he released the arrow, immensely missing me. I waved my hand, the man’s bow flew to the side.


“Witch!” He insulted.


I had gotten used to the insults by now. Every now and then when people saw what I could do they would shout rude comments. Though the words did hurt, I had learned to control my temper, but if the whispers came, it was only a matter of time before blood was shed. 


I stretched out my hand, and then quickly moved it back toward me. The man lifted from the ground and floated in front of me. 


“Are you alone?” I asked quietly while tightening my hands, causing him to feel immense pain as though he was being gradually crushed.


“You’re going to die.” 


Suddenly, more arrows paraded out from the trees. I threw the man with my magic, and could hear his neck snap as he hit the ground.  Running away from the men, I thrusted my hand towards the fire-pit. Flames erupted into the skies, lighting trees and bushes on fire which caused a great distraction. Sweat began to flow down the side of my face as I sprinted through the forest. I could hear the men still chasing after me. I blast more trees down, trying to form obstacles to keep them away from me so I could escape.


I was so foolish that I didn’t watch where I was running. I could feel my feet press against a rough, weak surface. I could hear wood crack below me. All of the sudden, I dropped down through a central hole in the ground. My legs smashed against the rough stone-like surface beneath me. Shock rushed through my body, and I fell unconscious.



© 2017 hansive lowry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on January 16, 2017
Last Updated on January 16, 2017


Author

hansive lowry
hansive lowry

Kansas City, MO



About
I love to write fictional fantasy and historical fiction. I am currently in the process of editing my latest fantasy work and am writing a historical fiction book on an eighteen year-old forced to fig.. more..

Writing