Roof of Stars

Roof of Stars

A Story by Gabriel Gloria D.C.
"

The ground is life.

"
Roof of Stars
By: Hans DC

As the throbbing, radar-like sound of the heart beat monitor absolves the presence of my mortal facade, I began to caress my fingers through twitching and fantasize about the good life ahead of me. I will certainly ask Sam to marry me as soon as my neurologist announces that my brain is tumor free. I sure am a guaranteed lawyer because I have completely memorized every word in my law books by continuously reviewing each and every one of them. Maybe I'll join a public attorney's office around Manila and work with equally passionate people for the sake of public justice. But now, from every single night I had been sleeping, all I can dream of is me floating mid-air. I anxiously thought of the idea that this will be my last day on earth. That, from here on out, I will be stuck on the ephemeral state of not being alive and not being dead, only to be stopped by death as it takes my life from me. I prospered, and endowed memories on every people I have met on the whole span of my life. My mom is happy, my dad is happy, my past girlfriend and I worked closure for us, and I am an active servant of my church; But before I sleep, I prayed that in my dreams I can soar higher than I ever could from the past few dreams I experienced.

I willfully drowned myself of slumber and dreamed. Everything was a blur until I felt pressure running through my body like gravity pulling and restraining me from flying towards the sky. I looked up and saw millions of stars streaking towards the brightest light I have ever seen around the empty sky. And then, as I was marveling the white light, a blue-eyed girl on a white vest, which I think as young as I am, hugged me tight with her two arms and uttered the words "I still have time, right? Right?" 
Time for what? I asked. 
"Time to realize." she answered timidly. "Or maybe time for goodbyes."
Everything was moving around us until I felt her emotions; It was like everything slowed down like a ballad song.
"I think I should ask you that same question too. For all I know, I wasn't given the ample amount of time to redeem myself and plant my flag on earth." I answered boldly.
She chuckled and lose her grip on her left hand. I held her right hands tightly then tried to pull more parts of her body to the ground. To no avail, I can't. 
"Think of it like a roof of stars on the far end of this empty sky. It's much more exciting than reality itself and I don't think you'll go up too fast that you'll miss the wonderful view up top." I tried to make her smile.
She smiled and submitted to the opposite force of the gravity. Everything then shifted and I felt the world fading from my eyes.

When I woke up, the tumor was gone, I can then move my arms after being on a state of coma for nearly 3 years; I can also say that the therapy was a really grueling experience. But now, after 10 years of my life, I already am an established young adult that can potentially change the world. Looking back, I realize that no one has actually enough time in this world. Yes people can make the most out of life, but never will they reach everything they asked for. Lying down on that bed, I never felt alive nor dead. I'm just lucky I twitched my fingers before the surgery. But of course, faith played it's role and by the very end of our life, faith will meet us and take us back on where we started.

© 2019 Gabriel Gloria D.C.


Author's Note

Gabriel Gloria D.C.
I am a bit guilty for barraging too many hard words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on June 2, 2019
Last Updated on June 21, 2019

Author

Gabriel Gloria D.C.
Gabriel Gloria D.C.

Navotas City, NCR, Philippines



About
A student by day, and a writer/musicain by night! I am specifically a songwriter but I also write poems and sonnets on my extra free time. more..

Writing