Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Rose A. World

Though Roan had decided not to tease the girl, it was difficult for him to keep this vow. She was not easily riled, and only after a particularly harsh dig was he able to provoke her.

            “Why so eager to rush back to the capitol?” he pried.

            Keira’s eyes crinkled in suspicion. She was a very cynical girl, Roan thought. “No reason. I’m more rushing out of Den than anything.”

            “Running out on a jealous lover?” He eyed her coolly, but was unsatisfied by the girl’s lack of response. “Or just tired of life with the Smudges? Come now, it’s a long ride to the capitol without a story to tell.”

            “Then why don’t you tell me yours?” Keira didn’t look at him, and he could tell she was practiced in keeping control of her emotions. But why?

            He grinned mischievously. “Alright then.” As his horse kicked into a trot, his voice began to bounce musically. “Once there was a maid who dreamed of being a princess. So, she tricked a very kind, honest gentleman into escorting her to the capitol, where she seduced him and used his connections to secure her a place in court.”

            “Is this story going to end anytime soon?” Though her voice sounded cool, Roan could see the hint of a blush upon her cheeks.

            He continued on. “While in court, the very naughty maid,” he clucked, “had relations with numerous Lords, even breaking into the stables one night and courting a young stallion. Her name was Keira, by the way.” In delight, he watched to blush slowly creep over her cheeks, stopping only at her hairline.

            “That’s enough, I don’t have to listen to this!” She kicked her mare into a gallop, stopping only once she was several hundred feet ahead of him. Slowing to a trot, she continued at an easy pace.

            Roan sighed, smiling. He could get used to offending her.

------------

  Keira slowed to a stop, leaving him far enough behind that she could take a moment to think without his insufferable teasing and bawdiness. Sometimes, she could feel herself losing control of the calm she had put between herself and the world, a cold sheet through which nothing phased her. She gritted her teeth. Keira hated to lose control.

Despite Roan’s unwanted playfulness, she rather liked him. He seemed a different man when he was teaching her about the Pyre, his surprisingly muscular hands gesturing with passion and resolve. This was a man who could bring back the magic.

But he certainly liked to pry"particularly into her personal life. She supposed she could have told Roan why she had left Den, but it seemed too easy to just give away details about herself. Especially without any information in return, and she had a flurry of questions for him.

Behind her, she heard the waltzing pound of a canter, and the subject of her pondering appeared beside her.

“I apologize,” he said simply.

“I’ve had enough of being treated like a servant.” She could remember the cackling laughs of her school attendant, her peers, and finally the Demps themselves.

He studied her closely. “I don’t mean it that way. I only tease those I consider friends.”

It had been over a year since anyone had called her that. Once the money from her mother had stopped coming, friends were in short order.

Keira chose to change the subject. “Why me?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why did you pick me? To track down the Pyre.”

Roan shifted in his saddle uncomfortably. “You were the first Mage I’d come across. I need some kind of companion on this quest of ours.”

To her surprise, Keira knew unwaveringly that he was lying. He had enlisted her help for a purpose, and she was elated.

“Fair enough.” She couldn’t hide her smile. 

 

 

 



© 2012 Rose A. World


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another well written chapter. What I really love about this chapter is that you did something different which was writing from Lord Roan's POV for the first little bit. That was a great idea, because it allowed the readers to get a sense of Roan's personality. I think I'm really starting to like his character. :)
The chapter was also great because it showed us how Keira is sensitive towards certain things, like being laughed at. Once again, she seems more relatable and realistic.

I'm really liking the story so far, I'm interested to see what happens next. :)
If there was anything I'd change about this chapter, it would be just to space out the paragraphs a bit more next time. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 23, 2012
Last Updated on September 23, 2012


Author

Rose A. World
Rose A. World

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rose A. World


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Rose A. World


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Rose A. World