Depression

Depression

A Chapter by Harjyot Kaur
"

This chapter will be bring forth just another view of looking at depression.

"
I'm in a dark room. From what it seems, there is nothing here but me; nobody and nothing else. Scared, I try look for an escape, I try to find a door, to get me out of the creeping darkness. I look here and there, but I see no door, or window, no crack in the wall, no hole. All I see is darkness, from which I am unable to escape.
                                                         This is depression.
That feeling of being stuck, while desperately trying to escape, that feeling of not knowing where to go and what to do, the loneliness that accompanies the creeping darkness, all of these indicate depression. 
Imagine yourself in the situation described above; darkness and no escape. You would start to suffocate, and the loneliness and the silence that surrounds you would be as scary as death. And to think that all of this is just within our mind; to feel all of this and to not be able to explain it. Stuck, right?
                     Today, there are millions fighting depression, because life has become just so stressful. Our mind, like demons, chooses to pick on us at our lowest, it discovers our weaknesses and uses them against us in the best possible manner. Thus, our mind, as clever as it is, just as easily becomes our master and before we know it, it starts influencing every aspect of our life. We become ill-motivated, our sleeping cycle gets disturbed, we fail to appreciate everything around us and become self-involved.
All of this does not imply that depression in an end, or that once depressed, there is no going back to normal. Even though it may not be visible at first, or may just be slightly visible, there is always some way. There is always a crack, or a hole, through which light, our hope, manages to enter. That is why there are various therapies, and programmes, and activities that help those in need of some light, and some hope.
                       Of course, the utility of such therapies and programmes depends on to the extent to which a person is depressed. In other words, it depends on the extent to which a person has walked into the dark room. Some make it out, while some fail to do so and remain threatened by their own existence, and some simply give up and end their life. But it's important to remember, no matter how absurd and unbelievable it may seem, there is always a way out.
To conclude, I would like to add that it may be just so that we all have demons within us, demons that reside in our mind.


© 2017 Harjyot Kaur


Author's Note

Harjyot Kaur
This is just a view I hold, a view to express the situation that a depressed person may be facing. Of course, there are other views and I would be happy learn about your views.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The best advice is to quote Shakespeare... "The world is a stage and we are all actors." Therefor, we can start "pretending" by actions to be free to walk down the street... perhaps smile at someone in a coffee shoppe and experience their smile in return.
It is a beginning to Joy. Remember... when days are dark and dreary... it is just the shadow of an Angel's wing watching over you... Amen

Posted 7 Years Ago


Harjyot Kaur

7 Years Ago

Amen. Well said.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Whilst this is quite touching and informative, I'm not sure where it's going as a piece of writing. For me, it's part story and part script.

Depression, often inexplicable, can be a long pitch-black night or an erratic series of vivid flickering lights with tormenting mental shadows between them - or both and more. Expressing such experiences .. can be nigh impossible by and for the sufferer and - by anyone other than an expert.

The latter starts by observing, listening, over a period of time. (The human mind isn't a nut shell that can be forced open.) The expert will then analyse, transcribe, wait for changes and God willing, eventually find a solution about which he or she will use medical phraseology and so forth.

So, perhaps to start, you might decide on which side of the fence you're standing. Perhaps two parts of this one chapter is necessary in order to give more depth to the two vital views?

Your actual writing is very fine, and in your second or third language perhaps (?) For that I have the highest and affectionate praise.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Harjyot Kaur

7 Years Ago

No, of course not. I am actually very thankful for your honest opinion, and I would very much love f.. read more
emmajoy

7 Years Ago

Please ask me to review you.. and, will try my very best to comment, but more sensitively, Harjyot
Harjyot Kaur

7 Years Ago

Thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2017
Last Updated on March 15, 2017
Tags: depression, mind, darkness, light, hope


Author

Harjyot Kaur
Harjyot Kaur

Delhi, Delhi, India



About
I am a bibliophile, and seem to have xenagorabibliomania. Theatre and acting are of special interest to me, besides photography. more..

Writing
Woman Woman

A Poem by Harjyot Kaur



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..