Life On The Squad (Part 3)

Life On The Squad (Part 3)

A Story by Terri
"

Part 3 of the Story. Part 1- http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/terri19284/395683/

"

This is Part 3 of the LOTS adventure. Please let my know if you spot any errors. I hope you enjoy!

Entering the cafeteria, I immediately turned around. “Hey, Dix? I left something in the break room. Can I go get it and meet you back here?”

She smiled. “Sure. You just make sure you get back here you get back here before Kal beats you to it.” Would it really be that bad if another seat at the table was taken? Ha! It’d probably help me.

Walking into the break room, I racked my brain trying to figure out what I “forgot”. Ok, think Kara. Think and walk. I began the trip back to the cafeteria; and maybe my worst fear. Passing the nurses station, where base station is, I listened in on a run.

“Rampart, we have defibrillated twice.” Heart attack, I thought. “Patient is in sinus rhythm with some PVC’s.”

“Atropine.” I said, making Dr. Early smile. There was another man with him, probably learning base station. He looked about Dr. Early’s age, maybe about 5 years younger. My outbreak had made him raise his eyebrows in surprise and wonder.

“So you know about Atropine, do you?” He asked me.

“Yes,” was my simple reply. “I also know not to give MS to head injury patients.” Not everybody who passed by knew that Morphine can make head injuries hard to diagnose. I earned another raised eyebrow.

“Well, I guess you spend a lot of time here.”

I laughed. “I guess you could say that.” That’s when I saw Dix leaving the cafeteria, so I left the man with the bewildered face to decipher what I meant.

“What did you forget?” Dix asked.

“My notebook. I forgot it’s in my duffel.” I was getting ready to kill Mr. Coo-coo. This is the most I’ve ever lied, even to Johnny and the teachers combined. I was really beginning to hate my life.

But my worst fear is being found out. Technically, I’m not even suppose to be in the squad. I don’t even want to think of the stress if word got out.

I took a deep breath and briskly walked in. Spotting Dr. Brackett, I made a bee-line for the table. But with luck upon luck, I walked in right when he looked up.

Looking at my watch, I began to wonder. If I was in school, I’d be writing in my notebook while Jason scrambled to finish his part of the project.

Speaking of, “Did you finish your part?” Jason slid in the seat beside me.

“The better question would be did you.” The guilty look on his face would say no. “What are you doing here anyways?” I asked him.

“The better question would be why are you here.”

“I asked you first.”

“My sister is an in-patient.”

“Aw, I’m sorry. I should’ve of pried./”

“It’s ok. Hit and run, ICU. They say she should be out in about a week, if things keep going the way they are.”

“Well, that’s good.” I remember that run well. We had just brought in the last burn victim from a brush fire about six months ago. Squad 99 was called in. we all held our breaths while they fought for her life. She had a broken back, crushed arm, and went straight line twice.

ICU was only a floor about Emergency, yet I haven’t seen him around. Com to think of it, I saw him around school less too. Seeing Dix’s stare, I said “science partners”. She nodded and Dr. Brackett was too busy to notice I was talking to strangers.

I looked over where Jason had been sitting. “Where are your parents at?”

“My dad had to go to work. Double shifts now, to pay all the bills. He should be here in a few minutes though.”

“And your mom?” He lowered his eyes. I knew that sight. “I’m sorry. When?”

“About a year ago.”

“Man, that’s tough.” I was about to say I had I worse, but then I remembered only the principal, superintendent, and counselor knew why I am here.

“Where are yours?” Jason asked.

I glanced at Dix. “That depends on your definition of parents. My current guardians are those two.” Either he figured out the truth, or he’s the first to get the joke… ever.

He laughed. “Well, welcome sister. They’re my parents.” I smiled. His personality reminded me of Cap's grown son, Chad. Last we saw of Chad, he was a 2nd grade teacher in Oregon getting ready to propose to his girlfriend. Needless to say, the only thing not set is the date. I realized that I had been absentmindedly been eating the little food I had.

“Dr. Brackett. Dr. Kelly Brackett. Base station, stat. Dr. Brackett, base station, stat.” Came over the intercom. Kal, Dix, and I all stood up at the same time.

“Let’s go.” Brackett said to Dix, who was already half way to the door.

“I’ll come with you.” I said, without a backwards glance from either of them.

~Terri

© 2009 Terri


Author's Note

Terri
Thanks for reading! Please point out any errors. Review!
~Terri

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Mostly, you can't tell where I'm going because at the time, I didn't know either. >

Posted 14 Years Ago


Terri,

Love your use of dialogue. Most people, especially young ones "tell" instead of "show". A rookie mistake. Not you. Yours is as smooth as a babys butt, no over use of "he said" or "She said angrily".

Good work. I don't know where you're going either. Good sign.

markymark.


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 5, 2009

Author

Terri
Terri

About
I mostly write about what I find interesting and you might find some of my personality mixed in with the main character in my stories. Please read my writing and give me reviews and feedback. If you f.. more..

Writing
Story Outline Story Outline

A Story by Terri


Pre-setting Pre-setting

A Chapter by Terri


Spy Haunting Spy Haunting

A Book by Terri